• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest leg spinner of all time...

Vote on the best leg spin bowler in cricket history

• Shane Warne

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Mushtaq Ahmed

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Terry Jenner

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Anil Kumble

• Subhash Gupte

• Clarrie Grimmett

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • B S Chandrashekar

• Richie Benaud

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Bill O'Reilly

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Abdul Qadir

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
Grimmett invented it, Warne re-invented it after 12-13 years ( Qadir didnt have it in his repertoire to my knowledge). Chandra used to bowl it, Gupte used to bowl it and i think Benaud bowled it.
I believe that Benaud actually taught it to Warne - well, that's what Richie makes out anyways.
C_C said:
its all part of the 'gatting myth' of Warne really.
That's the one thing about Warne which makes it so hard to compare him with other players. He's managed to create this "mystique" about himself - talk of 'mystery balls', 'new flipper', 'zooter', and it creates hype and another thing for opposition batsmen to worry about coming up to a series.

Nowadays it doesn't have that much of an effect, but there's no doubt that it did during various stages of the 90s, and Warne deserves credit for that - in combination with batsmen being stupid enough to believe all of it 8-)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
He should have given it to you.

Judging by that neck of yours it look's like you could have done with it.
That's not me. That's Dave Mohammed

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's the one thing about Warne which makes it so hard to compare him with other players. He's managed to create this "mystique" about himself - talk of 'mystery balls', 'new flipper', 'zooter', and it creates hype and another thing for opposition batsmen to worry about coming up to a series.

Nowadays it doesn't have that much of an effect, but there's no doubt that it did during various stages of the 90s, and Warne deserves credit for that - in combination with batsmen being stupid enough to believe all of it
Ya gotta admit, though; no-one else could get away with about 10 variations on deliveries which do absolutely nothing (other than flight and drift variations, I guess) and use the leg-spinner as his 'shock weapon'!