• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geraint Jones

geraint jones

• back him

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • sack him

Votes: 37 48.1%

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
If he wasn't good enough, he shouln't have been selected in the first place.
I think maybe a lot of people here are making that point. Or that his keeping standard has slipped further - you didn't pick him to be a bad keeper, you picked him to be a mediocre keeper.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well we dont really know, after all how many of us had watched him keep before he was selected to play for England.

I haven't watched Jones keep at all so cant really comment on his skills, but since he is compared to one Parthiv Patel, I will say this - Parthiv was always a bad wicketkeeper and almost everyone knew it. Selecors hoped that he would get better with time (which he didn't), but to say that his skills slipped furthur is wrong, he was always bad.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I dont think ive ever seen a keeper miss a more straight forward catch than the one he dropped off warne. The ball was coming right at him, he didnt even have to move and it went right through his hands ffs. If you have a keeper that cannot even be assured of catching lollypops then your seriously gambling with your test chances everytime.
Hes needs to go.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arrow said:
I dont think ive ever seen a keeper miss a more straight forward catch than the one he dropped off warne. The ball was coming right at him, he didnt even have to move and it went right through his hands ffs. If you have a keeper that cannot even be assured of catching lollypops then your seriously gambling with your test chances everytime.
Hes needs to go.
Yeah, I agree. If a bowler scores a half century every now and then but can't bowl for s***, he doesn't stay in the team, so a keeper who hardly ever scores half centuries and can't catch for s*** should be dropped.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Neil Pickup said:
I'm concerned that Read would struggle to average anything in excess of Giles in Tests - in terms of his being one of those players whose batting style doesn't transfer to Tests. Was it short balls that did him over repeatedly in the WI?

Either way, I trust Fletcher to get it right and whoever takes the gloves at Trent Bridge gets my 100% support.
i complete agree with that.

and i also agree with aussies comment about bringing in prior not making any difference.

Pothas

I would play Read simply because i would have confidence in him taking the key catches and i simply dont have that confidence in jones, afterall that is the main job of the keeper is it not? From his displays in the last 2 season it seems his batting has improved and id definetly give him another chance.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
true i would agree with that, and i would definitely say that read should have another chance after the conclusion of this series, as switching him now would be a horrible gamble that may not pay off. Jones keeping isnt awful imo, he has made mistakes recently, and some really shocking ones, but to suggest that its awful is silly, prior to the 2nd test his keeping was immaculate and he took some great catches, the reason why i back jones is that im not convinced that reads batting is upto the test, whereas jones's might not be either, i believe he would do a better job with the bat than read would. Jones should play out the rest of the series imo, before read being granted another chance in the winter.

Pothas

I really dont see how playing Read is a gamble. Englands top 6 are all playing pretty well at the moment and are getting the runs needed. Read is safe behind the gloves i would say it is much more of a gamble too play jones who is more likely miss that vital chance in return for maybe a few more runs

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well you could argue that read is more of a gamble, for instance what happens if englands top order fails ? i would have more confidence in jones raking together 30 or so runs similar to the way he did at lords and possibly saving a match than read would, although lords is a bad example as england did indeed lose. But for instance if read was brought in, and the top order failed, and he was needed to get a score i would always (at the current time) say jones would be more likely to get it. And then what happens if read makes a howler or two behind the stumps? it would hardly justify sacking jones, esspecially if he failed with the bat as well.

Pothas

But the fact is that i trust the england batting order too get runs, and also Jones is not conistant with the bat he could just as easlil fail as read. I go back too the point that the main job of a keeper is too keep and i fell we need Read in too perform that duty i think he is a far safer choice. Also you say that read may make a howler well he also might make many more runs than jones you can tell what will happen. The fact is that if we need a catch too the keeper too win the ashes id want Read behind the stumps and not Jones

matty1818

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I deviate from wishing to drop him and to keep him. For that reason i think at present he should stay, especially if he keeps up getting runs. If he averages over 30 in the next two tests then i think it will have been the right decision to keep him.

Everyone saw today how supposedly the best keeper/batsmen in history made mistakes, it happens.

Also i dont think there is any reason to make our middle order anymore more fallable than it already is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pothas said:
But the fact is that i trust the england batting order too get runs, and also Jones is not conistant with the bat he could just as easlil fail as read. I go back too the point that the main job of a keeper is too keep and i fell we need Read in too perform that duty i think he is a far safer choice. Also you say that read may make a howler well he also might make many more runs than jones you can tell what will happen. The fact is that if we need a catch too the keeper too win the ashes id want Read behind the stumps and not Jones
where that is perhaps true, there is nothing to say that jones will not keep perfectly from now untill the end of the series, i do not believe that englands ashes hopes hinge on his performance, and i dont think bringing in read would improve englands chances of winning the ashes either.

Pothas

sledger said:
where that is perhaps true, there is nothing to say that jones will not keep perfectly from now untill the end of the series, i do not believe that englands ashes hopes hinge on his performance, and i dont think bringing in read would improve englands chances of winning the ashes either.
Of cause Jones MIGHT keep flawlessly for the rest of the summer but then again Gilespie MIGHT bowl amazingly if played for the rest of the ashes and read MIGHT score a hunderd and 2 50s if he was brought in. The fact is that Read is more likely too keep better than Jones and for this reason i belive he should be in. I do of course agree that the ashes does not all hinge on him. Of course this is all academic because Flethcher has so much faith in jones id be shocked if he doesnt play in the next match

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well as i have said earlier in agreement with pickup i would say that i have faith in whatever fletcher decides to do, consistancy is a good thing in my opinion, esspecially seeing as i dont really believe jones errors warrant a sacking, changing things could just result in disruption, unless jones really makes several howlers tommorow i dont see the point in dropping him, more benefit would come in being persistant with the lad if you ask me :p