• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geraint Jones

geraint jones

• back him

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • sack him

Votes: 37 48.1%

• Total voters

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He's a frustrating player to be sure. Very occasionally we get a substantial knock from him, but pretty 20's a far more often the case. He can certainly bat, but his defence is dreadfully loose, hence the large number of times he is bowled. At least his keeping seems to be improving. If that continues to be the case, I can live with our number 7 averaging about 30. Of course, that only a couple higher than Jack Russell managed, and we all know what happended to him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Can't believe I voted 'back him' several months back!

IMO very negative selection by England. If you subtract the byes he concedes from his batting average, there are many better alternatives with the gloves.

Read may not be the finest bat but he will NOT cost the side unnecessary runs.
have you seen Jones keep lately?, in Pakistan i cant remember him giving away a bye TBH. He should be Englands #1 no question about it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
IMO i think within the this year i would like to see him batting in the top 6, he definately has the abiltiy to bat their, since it would relieve the huge workload on the almighty Freddie.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
have you seen Jones keep lately?, in Pakistan i cant remember him giving away a bye TBH. He should be Englands #1 no question about it.
Well he gave away 15, but that's over 5 innings with 1981 runs scored. 569.2 overs in the field.

EDIT: Akmal 32 byes in 6 innings. 1739 runs. 515 overs in the field. Less runs, less overs, more byes...

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well he gave away 15, but that's over 5 innings with 1981 runs scored. 569.2 overs in the field.

EDIT: Akmal 32 byes in 6 innings. 1739 runs. 515 overs in the field. Less runs, less overs, more byes...
bowlers like akhtar and sami(in particular) dont help either. not to mention some of kanerias googlies that pitched outside leg stump.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
He was one of the few real successes in Pakistan - his keeping (careful now LE) SEEMS TO have improved in leaps and bounds and on occasion he is a match-winner with the bat.

You only have to read some of the books doing the rounds at the moment to realise that the 'Team England' ethos is very real - Freddie especially loves batting with him and the rest of the players recognise just how much of an effort he puts in. He's in the side until someone literally forces him out of it - and no-one's making any sort of a claim at the moment to claim the gauntlets.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Geraint has Harmison though...
Harmison is far more accurate than Sami and is less likely to bowl balls that go over the keepers or down the leg side as someone like Shoaib is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Depends whether the radar is working - just got round to watching the Ashes DVD and Edgbaston where he let that awful one down for 4 byes near the end.

Now there was no real way Jones could be blamed for something like that.