• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overseas Cricket

Monty

U19 Cricketer
would you leave your contry of birth to go to another country because you have a greater chance of making international cricket

i have thought about going to play for england but then i thought nah i would rather play for Australia

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well I am going to South Africa, at the same age as Kevin Pietersen did the opposite.. I am not too fussed about playing international cricket even if I was superbly good, I wouldn't want to come back to England and be ravaged by the tabloids, sledged in Australia, sledged in South Africa, sledged everywhere.. Basically I'd keep quiet because I don't have the thick skin that Pietersen obviously does!

I'd love to play first class cricket though

Monty

U19 Cricketer
maybye england will start scouring the world for decent leggies and i might get a call never know

Chubb

International Regular
I would certainly go to New Zealand if it meant I could play decent club cricket yet alone for Central Districts or the Blackcaps. I have duo nationality so I'd be a bit of a "pietersen" figure, but I have a very strong loyalty to New Zealand and always will.

I have never supported England in any sport when they come up against New Zealand. I have never owned a replica England shirt for any sport, I always chose a New Zealand one. People at my club call me "Kiwi"

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dont see why people shouldnt move abroad in persuir of their dream. Obviously the most heroic case was Basil Doliveira even if he was sadly never alowed too play against the country of his birth his move did so much for sport and for politics in south africa and indeed the whole world. If only he had moved earlier considering he didnt play for England untill he was into his mid 30s what a truely great test player he could have been.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chubb said:
I would certainly go to New Zealand if it meant I could play decent club cricket yet alone for Central Districts or the Blackcaps. I have duo nationality so I'd be a bit of a "pietersen" figure, but I have a very strong loyalty to New Zealand and always will.

I have never supported England in any sport when they come up against New Zealand. I have never owned a replica England shirt for any sport, I always chose a New Zealand one. People at my club call me "Kiwi"
I thought you were a Rhodie? You seem to have magnificent knowledge of the game in Zim

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Would never play for anyone other than England. Football (soccer) has instilled me with a great sense of patriotism, so that's carried over into cricket and any other sport you care to mention.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we all have loyalties to more than one country. I don't think there's anything wrong in that at all. Many British Asians & Afro-caribbeans chose to follow the test side of their parents' or grandparents' birth. I think it would certainly be possible for someone growing up in, say, South Africa with, say, an English mother to have similarly divided loyalties. ;)

I'm as proud a Pom as anyone, but I also keep an eye out for Ireland's football & Rugby teams. My mum's dad was a Mick (which means I'm qualified to play for them, unlike Tony Cascarino! :p ) & that came in v handy @ the 1994 footie WC when we (England) failed to qualify.

I'm sure a certain maths-loving Scandinavian will be more than happy to tell you who qualified ahead of us...... :p

Or Kwek or Steulen, if it comes to that! 8-) :D

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I'd play for India for a shack in Goa, a silver jampan, a life-time supply of tea and a date with Shami Chakraborti. However being English, 34, and sh1te at cricket the chances are somewhat remote. Maybe in the next life.

Chubb

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
I thought you were a Rhodie? You seem to have magnificent knowledge of the game in Zim
Some people do think that, I do really admire the Zimbabwe team, have done for years, and I like to be in the know when it comes to Zimbok cricket.

My father was born in Waipukurau, in CD, but he left when he was five. I don't care if it's by the skin of my teeth, (I haven't got an accent) I'm a New Zealander.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've got to say I couldn't ever see myself playing for another country - of course, not that playing international cricket could ever possibly happen :lol: :laugh:.

Maybe it's because I'm fifth generation Aus, so there's no chance of me scraping into another country via my parents, so I've never really given it any thought in the slightest, as opposed to people who are aware that the possibility of moving is there.

Then again, maybe I should marry an Italian, Canadian or Dutch girl? :D Does that make you eligible? Does that even make you a citizen?

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
See how things go in Aus, otherwise I might head to England as I have both Aus and Euro citizenship.

cricket player

International Debutant
This thread tells the story of my life.

I would basically go to England and play first class cricket I would probably move to england at age of 18 right now I am 15 and in my eyes I have the right talent.

I would love to play first class cricket in england and if I would have a chance I would play for england or move abroad to play for Zimbabwe.

I breath cricket
live cricket
eat cricket
see cricket
play cricket
etc

I just love cricket and one day I would probably be at a high level if not international.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
This thread tells the story of my life.

I would basically go to England and play first class cricket I would probably move to england at age of 18 right now I am 15 and in my eyes I have the right talent.

I would love to play first class cricket in england and if I would have a chance I would play for england or move abroad to play for Zimbabwe.

I breath cricket
live cricket
eat cricket
see cricket
play cricket
etc

I just love cricket and one day I would probably be at a high level if not international.
Keep reaching for those stars, Fardin - you're an inspiration to all of us.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricket player said:
If you've not moved over by now you have no chance really.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Well good luck to all of you who can actually play the game at a decent standard, I can't imagine a better career than being a professional cricketer (well, perhaps "Shami Chakrabati's personal love slave" might just pip it for me).

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I could never play for a country other than New Zealand. I was born here, raised here, educated here and practically everyone I know and care about is from New Zealand. I could not simply turn my back on them even if offerered the chance to play international cricket (or hockey or soccer for that matter) for a different country.

I can see myself working overseas for a few years after I graduate (so much more money overseas) and even if I manage to work my way up the grades to first class level I still could not play for that country.