• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10,000 ODI Runs .. Congrats Ganguly!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Just would like to congragulate Indian Batsman Saurav Ganguly on a fine 10,000 total ODI Career runs at an avg of 41.32.. certainly a magnificent feat.. just brought it up against Sri Lanka.. hopefully his career is back on an upward drift..

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
He's one of those players I always want to see failing miserably...but he's a great ODI batsman. Well done!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
congrats he has been a good servant of indian cricket for just under a decade now....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Back in his prime, there weren't many other batsman I'd like to watch out there. He was fantastic opening the innngs for India in the 90s, and whilst he hasn't been anywhere close to what he used to, its great to see him reach this feat.

Congrats Saurav.

shaka

International Regular
Congrats on a fine achievement and 50 today. His average would have been higher without that dry spell he had earlier in the year / and last year

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Back in his prime, there weren't many other batsman I'd like to watch out there. He was fantastic opening the innngs for India in the 90s, and whilst he hasn't been anywhere close to what he used to, its great to see him reach this feat.

Congrats Saurav.
Easily.. i still remember the whole world cup in england.. where he was in marvellous form along with tendulkar and dravid.. ( if my mind isint confused )

shaka

International Regular
Ganguly and Tendulkar have over 5000 runs as a pairing when they have opened the innings, its interesting that Ganguly doesnt open with Sachin anymore considering they lead the table in ODI batting opening partnerships.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
He used to be SOOOO good....
And yet he hasn't been so dreadful as some people seem to think of late... he's still good, without being quite as exceptional as he was up to 2002\03 and I hope we'll see him in WC2007.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
Ganguly and Tendulkar have over 5000 runs as a pairing when they have opened the innings, its interesting that Ganguly doesnt open with Sachin anymore considering they lead the table in ODI batting opening partnerships.
that partnership split up to accomodate sehwag...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
that partnership split up to accomodate sehwag...
Actually sehwag did not want to open the innings. Ganguly wanted him to open and replace Tendulkar in the opening slot.

Tendulkar wasnt happy abouit it but ganguly went ahead and started opening with sehwag. It was only later that Tendulkar was brought back and ganguly had to move lower down.

Ganguly has never been happy about that and has always wanted to get back to opening but he fell to his own machinations.

Beleg

International Regular
Richard,

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. He is by no means a slouch.

But the latest I saw of him was the series against Pakistan, where he was MISERABLE against normal bowling, and for a moment I had a glimpse of a past Gauguly dancing down the track to Waqar Younis and hitting him over the Mid-off boundary for a six.

I used to feel almost as much apprehension as I felt for Tendulkar when he took the strike. Lately, whenever Pakistan were in a fix I found myself wishing that the strike would rotate and Ganguly would gain the strike.

Still, he was a good enough batsman to warrant ten thousand runs, I always thought. Hopefully he will gain back some measure of the form of his past. (he isn't past 33, Is he?)

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
He looked much better that Laxman and Sehwag today, Especially when he was tested by some short stuff by Fernando.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:

Congrats Saurav.
Yes a great achievement but he is truly the shadow of the batsman who was so dominant during the late 90s.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Actually sehwag did not want to open the innings. Ganguly wanted him to open and replace Tendulkar in the opening slot.

Tendulkar wasnt happy abouit it but ganguly went ahead and started opening with sehwag. It was only later that Tendulkar was brought back and ganguly had to move lower down.

Ganguly has never been happy about that and has always wanted to get back to opening but he fell to his own machinations.
Totally agreed.. maybe Dravid can change things around if he is given the captaincy to carry on...?

But i dont agree with Ganguly opening in the tests.. hes much more suited to opening in the ODIs in my opinion.