• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flower

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
shaka said:
Wat are you trying to say in that list Dasa?
Just showing the difficult circumstances under which Flower made his big scores, as opposed to the relatively safe situations where Gilchrist made 100s.

cricket player

International Debutant
Playing for a team such as Zimbabwe you have to say there were alot of responsibilities on his shoulders that he had to do well in order to get the team in a good position,

As for Gilchrist he can play under no such a pressure as Andy Flower did basically because there were others to take care of the scoring later on,

Andy Flower for me.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Andy Flower, Better batsman then Gilchrist! keeping...i'd say about the same.
depends on which form of the game really.
ODI Gilchrist does it for me but in tests Flower. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Flower was the first genuine keeping allrounder, the game has changed a lot even since he started his international career.
You've not heard of this chappie then?
Or, indeed, this one? :)

Last edited:

Shoaib

Banned
Andy Flower is not only a better batsman but also better keeper than Gilchrist.He is a true legend and best wicket-keeper batsman of all time.If Gilly thinks he's better,he should join the current Zimbabwe team to prove his worth.I can bet that he would average less than 35 with bat & dismissals @ not more than 1.5 per match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
How does a player who only kept in 1 Test match qualify?
Because Test-cricket is not the only level of relevance - especially in the 19th-century when it was massively in the minority. Indeed, in the 1870s and 1880s Tests were so infrequent they're generally best ignored as far as individual performance is concerned.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
Just showing the difficult circumstances under which Flower made his big scores, as opposed to the relatively safe situations where Gilchrist made 100s.
The amount of times Gilchrist has saved Australia from precarious positions! In India in 2001 he had a horrible series and we lost, same in England this year. Stats don't always tell the full story. I feel his ability to bat Australia out of trouble has really helped them dominate in recent times

Dasa

burkey_1988 said:
The amount of times Gilchrist has saved Australia from precarious positions! In India in 2001 he had a horrible series and we lost, same in England this year. Stats don't always tell the full story. I feel his ability to bat Australia out of trouble has really helped them dominate in recent times
The thing is, a lot of those times they aren't really precarious positions...and he's always had the comfort of knowing he has two all-time greats to bowl the opposition out if he fails. Flower had no such luxury, with Zimbabwe it was either Flower makes runs (and gives them a chance), or they're thrashed.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't get me wrong, I feel Flower had a much tougher job that Gilly. Sure being in the middle order for Zimbabwe is a tougher job than no. 7 behind the likes of Ponting, Hayden, Martyn, and the Waughs. But Gilly must also get a little credit, that's all I'm saying

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
burkey_1988 said:
And yet for every time he's batted Australia out of trouble he's come in with the going easy twice at least.
Not to mention that coming in with your side in trouble is in it's own way an advantage, because if you fail then you're still merely doing what others have done before.

Dasa

burkey_1988 said:
Don't get me wrong, I feel Flower had a much tougher job that Gilly. Sure being in the middle order for Zimbabwe is a tougher job than no. 7 behind the likes of Ponting, Hayden, Martyn, and the Waughs. But Gilly must also get a little credit, that's all I'm saying
Yeah of course Gilly gets a little credit.. a lot actually. However, IMO, Flower was better...which doesn't make Gilchrist anything less than world-class.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
A dampener on Flower's career IMO was his stint with Sth Australia. I expected him, being the word-class batsmen he was, to thrive here. But in reality he delivered very little. This is very unfortunate, as it will always have an impact of my view on him.

Also, he and Gilly are such different players. Flower is so much more a compiler than Gilly, who is more of a destroyer. Both fine batsmen-keepers, and I'll abstain from making a judgment of who is the better of the two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
burkey_1988 said:
A dampener on Flower's career IMO was his stint with Sth Australia. I expected him, being the word-class batsmen he was, to thrive here. But in reality he delivered very little. This is very unfortunate, as it will always have an impact of my view on him.
Anyone surely is entitled to one bad season, especially in an unaccustomed environment with such high expectations?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Anyone surely is entitled to one bad season, especially in an unaccustomed environment with such high expectations?
I don't disagree with this. It was a shame that he didn't perform though, it really was.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It certainly is. It is also a shame that he is likely not to get another chance, whereas the likes of Bevan, Blewett, Hayden, Hussey, Maher, Love, Hodge, Cox etc. have all had chances to come back from bad seasons.