Cricket Betting Site Betway
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Pick a winner: Composite OZ-WI teams

  1. #1
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990

    Pick a winner: Composite OZ-WI teams

    I am gonna include players since 1970s onwards.....no modification to the teams allowed....just pick a winner and justify your viewpoint(s):

    TEAM # 1:

    Desmond Haynes
    Roy Fredericks
    Greg Chappell
    Brian Lara
    Damien Martyn
    Alan Border
    Ian Healey
    Malcolm Marshall
    Denis Lillee
    Michael Holding
    Joel Garner

    Team # 2 :

    Justin Langer
    Gordon Greenidge
    Viv Richards
    Steve Waugh
    Ricky Ponting
    Clive Lloyd
    Dereyck Murray
    Shane Warne
    Curtley Ambrose
    Andy Roberts
    Glenn McGrath


    Note: For obvious reasons, Gilly has been left out.

  2. #2
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    I am gonna include players since 1970s onwards.....no modification to the teams allowed....just pick a winner and justify your viewpoint(s):

    TEAM # 1:

    Desmond Haynes
    Roy Fredericks
    Greg Chappell
    Brian Lara
    Damien Martyn
    Alan Border
    Ian Healey
    Malcolm Marshall
    Denis Lillee
    Michael Holding
    Joel Garner

    Team # 2 :

    Justin Langer
    Gordon Greenidge
    Viv Richards
    Steve Waugh
    Ricky Ponting
    Clive Lloyd
    Dereyck Murray
    Shane Warne
    Curtley Ambrose
    Andy Roberts
    Glenn McGrath


    Note: For obvious reasons, Gilly has been left out.

    Can you give us an idea of the pitch, Country and lenth of series, plus bumper rule?
    You know it makes sense.

  3. #3
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Played in no-holds barred fashion, ie, bounce em away.
    5 test series, one each in OZ and WI, pitch conditions like the 90s.
    hope that helps.

  4. #4
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    A cop out; 2 all in both series. But if I had to I would think team 2 with Warne may just have an advantage.

    Would love to see Chappell and Lara batting together or Richards and Ponting.

    Would not be surprised if Team two were a little shell shocked by the end of the Matches


  5. #5
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    HA!

    I knew that someone is gonna bring up the Warney point, which is why i put him where he is, since Team #1 is pretty proficient in playing spin - Lara, Chappell, Haynes, Border, etc were all pretty good against spin and Lara is legendary in that department.

    I am gonna go out on a limb and call team #1,simpy because they are likely to blunt Warne to a greater degree than team two would blunt anyone from team #1. Plus the 'no holds barred, bounce em away' rule aids Holding-Lillee-Marshall-Garner more than it aids McGrath-Ambrose-Roberts-Warne as a whole, since McGrath and Warne arnt the 'bounce em and make em dance' kinda bowlers.

  6. #6
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    HA!

    I knew that someone is gonna bring up the Warney point, which is why i put him where he is, since Team #1 is pretty proficient in playing spin - Lara, Chappell, Haynes, Border, etc were all pretty good against spin and Lara is legendary in that department.

    I am gonna go out on a limb and call team #1,simpy because they are likely to blunt Warne to a greater degree than team two would blunt anyone from team #1. Plus the 'no holds barred, bounce em away' rule aids Holding-Lillee-Marshall-Garner more than it aids McGrath-Ambrose-Roberts-Warne as a whole, since McGrath and Warne arnt the 'bounce em and make em dance' kinda bowlers.
    True, but you have included some pretty good players of speed in T-2 Viv would be the trump card, and Lloyd coming in late against a tired attack (hopefully) would be ideal. Also you have a couple of Lefties in T-1, with Warne bowling into the foot marks, could be interesting.

  7. #7
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,891
    Over the 10 games I'd shade it 6-4 in favour of team 2 (assuming timeless games) simply because there's going to be at least one game where we get a 4th innings turner.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    They are just incredibly evenly matched teams... I have no idea. I'd go for team two to shade it if a few of the wickets turned, if they were seamers though it's just so hard to say. The first team has a better bowling lineup on a seamer slightly, as I think Roberts is marginally the worst of the 8 bowlers, and they have four seamers, but McGrath and Ambrose are both almost unplayable on a seaming wicket too. On a turner, like say the SCG in the 90s, or even the Gabba or Adelaide on days 4 and 5, Warne would be damaging enough to tilt the game I think.

    So, over 10 games, maybe 6-4 to team 2, as marc said.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

  9. #9
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    my gut feeling would be that team 2 would win more than team 1
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  10. #10
    International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,043
    Yeh i believe that team 2 would defeat team one

  11. #11
    International Regular Beleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,450
    2-2 with the game at St. John's ending in a boring draw.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Over the 10 games I'd shade it 6-4 in favour of team 2 (assuming timeless games) simply because there's going to be at least one game where we get a 4th innings turner.
    Gonna have to agree with Marc here....



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Four teams for the semi-finals!
    By wasims_fan in forum World Cup 2003
    Replies: 290
    Last Post: 16-01-2003, 10:12 AM
  2. Draft Round 1
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 25-09-2002, 04:29 AM
  3. Findings From the 1st WCCC Meeting!!!!
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-08-2002, 08:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •