• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick a winner: Composite OZ-WI teams

C_C

International Captain
I am gonna include players since 1970s onwards.....no modification to the teams allowed....just pick a winner and justify your viewpoint(s):

TEAM # 1:

Desmond Haynes
Roy Fredericks
Greg Chappell
Brian Lara
Damien Martyn
Alan Border
Ian Healey
Malcolm Marshall
Denis Lillee
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

Team # 2 :

Justin Langer
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Clive Lloyd
Dereyck Murray
Shane Warne
Curtley Ambrose
Andy Roberts
Glenn McGrath

Note: For obvious reasons, Gilly has been left out.

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
I am gonna include players since 1970s onwards.....no modification to the teams allowed....just pick a winner and justify your viewpoint(s):

TEAM # 1:

Desmond Haynes
Roy Fredericks
Greg Chappell
Brian Lara
Damien Martyn
Alan Border
Ian Healey
Malcolm Marshall
Denis Lillee
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

Team # 2 :

Justin Langer
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Clive Lloyd
Dereyck Murray
Shane Warne
Curtley Ambrose
Andy Roberts
Glenn McGrath

Note: For obvious reasons, Gilly has been left out.

Can you give us an idea of the pitch, Country and lenth of series, plus bumper rule?

C_C

International Captain
Played in no-holds barred fashion, ie, bounce em away.
5 test series, one each in OZ and WI, pitch conditions like the 90s.
hope that helps.
:)

archie mac

International Coach
A cop out; 2 all in both series. But if I had to I would think team 2 with Warne may just have an advantage.

Would love to see Chappell and Lara batting together or Richards and Ponting.

Would not be surprised if Team two were a little shell shocked by the end of the Matches :D

C_C

International Captain
HA!

I knew that someone is gonna bring up the Warney point, which is why i put him where he is, since Team #1 is pretty proficient in playing spin - Lara, Chappell, Haynes, Border, etc were all pretty good against spin and Lara is legendary in that department.

I am gonna go out on a limb and call team #1,simpy because they are likely to blunt Warne to a greater degree than team two would blunt anyone from team #1. Plus the 'no holds barred, bounce em away' rule aids Holding-Lillee-Marshall-Garner more than it aids McGrath-Ambrose-Roberts-Warne as a whole, since McGrath and Warne arnt the 'bounce em and make em dance' kinda bowlers.
:D :D

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
HA!

I knew that someone is gonna bring up the Warney point, which is why i put him where he is, since Team #1 is pretty proficient in playing spin - Lara, Chappell, Haynes, Border, etc were all pretty good against spin and Lara is legendary in that department.

I am gonna go out on a limb and call team #1,simpy because they are likely to blunt Warne to a greater degree than team two would blunt anyone from team #1. Plus the 'no holds barred, bounce em away' rule aids Holding-Lillee-Marshall-Garner more than it aids McGrath-Ambrose-Roberts-Warne as a whole, since McGrath and Warne arnt the 'bounce em and make em dance' kinda bowlers.
:D :D
True, but you have included some pretty good players of speed in T-2 Viv would be the trump card, and Lloyd coming in late against a tired attack (hopefully) would be ideal. Also you have a couple of Lefties in T-1, with Warne bowling into the foot marks, could be interesting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Over the 10 games I'd shade it 6-4 in favour of team 2 (assuming timeless games) simply because there's going to be at least one game where we get a 4th innings turner.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
They are just incredibly evenly matched teams... I have no idea. I'd go for team two to shade it if a few of the wickets turned, if they were seamers though it's just so hard to say. The first team has a better bowling lineup on a seamer slightly, as I think Roberts is marginally the worst of the 8 bowlers, and they have four seamers, but McGrath and Ambrose are both almost unplayable on a seaming wicket too. On a turner, like say the SCG in the 90s, or even the Gabba or Adelaide on days 4 and 5, Warne would be damaging enough to tilt the game I think.

So, over 10 games, maybe 6-4 to team 2, as marc said.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Over the 10 games I'd shade it 6-4 in favour of team 2 (assuming timeless games) simply because there's going to be at least one game where we get a 4th innings turner.
Gonna have to agree with Marc here....