• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Bangladesh ever be good?

Steulen

International Regular
I would not be surprised if within 10 years Bangladesh are at least as mediocre as India. They appear to have the same sort of wealth of batting and spin bowling talent, dearth of pace bowling stocks, and shocking incompetence on national board level. So the answer is yes, they will.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
They've made giant steps forward recently. There is no question that one day they will be truly competitive.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
There is no doubt in my convict mind that the Banglas can actually go and win a Test series within 5 years that won't be against Zimbabwe.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SquidAU said:
There is no doubt in my convict mind that the Banglas can actually go and win a Test series within 5 years that won't be against Zimbabwe.
Do you think that would be more a case of someone underestimating them, or a true reflection of the improvement they have made (in conjunction with the continuing collapse of, say, the West Indies)?

Steulen

International Regular
SquidAU said:
Sure. Windies and Sri Lanka should be within their grasp, or a particularly injury-ravaged NZ touring side.

nick-o

State 12th Man
In answer to the question, surely they will, one day.

But to the people saying five years or ten years, I'm sorry but I think that's too optimistic. Whatever the wealth of potential there may, the infrastructure to nurture it to the point of winning a series just isn't there, as far as I can see. Admittedly, it's nearly ten years since I was last there, but to me Bangladesh is still a long, long way from the level of development that would be needed to win a series or progress deep into a World Cup.

Love to see them get there, but the priority over the next ten years is still to build the foundations.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nope, zero cricketing nouse even at test level among the players, zero talent identification, zero cricketing facilities except at the very top.. Zero potential...

Loads of fanboys though

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
100 million people - most of whom are cricket-mad, I believe. That's one large talent pool. Coaching and cricket infrastructure is only getting better. Wouldn't be all too surprised if they qualified for the super eights at the WC, actually - competition is an Indian side who they've beaten before and Sri Lanka, who are notoriously poor tourists. Only problem is that their top-order needs to be able to handle true pace...

Steulen

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
100 million people - most of whom are cricket-mad, I believe. That's one large talent pool. Coaching and cricket infrastructure is only getting better. Wouldn't be all too surprised if they qualified for the super eights at the WC, actually - competition is an Indian side who they've beaten before and Sri Lanka, who are notoriously poor tourists. Only problem is that their top-order needs to be able to handle true pace...
If you're up against India and Sri Lanka, there's little need to worry about pace.