• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Bangladesh ever be good?

Steulen

International Regular
Malinga, the gunslinger, he's fairly quick I think yeah.
Vaas is more upper 120's type like McGrath, isn't he?

Still, if pace is your weakness, I think you can be very happy with a draw that puts you up against India and Sri Lanka.

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
They've made giant steps forward recently. There is no question that one day they will be truly competitive.
Some good progress in ODI, but there Test form is still well below standard. I agree with Benaud they should be left out of Test Cricket for a while. This would obviously reduce their chances of being Test standard in the near future.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Beleg said:
Zero Potential?

Get real.
I don't care how many hundred million screaming fans you have, at the end of the day the best cricketing sides ever have come from an island of 16 million people (or a string of islands of about 10 million)... Enthusiasm means zero when there's no talent identification, youth setups or infrastructure.. I expect China to beat England before Bangladesh do.. (seeing as they've already klapped the Aussies :D )

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i don't think they can make any impression in test cricket unless the other side sinks to their level of mediocrity....and sadly there are some teams who can match that now...one day cricket being a bit of a lottery, they have a chance to sneak in a surprise on an unsuspecting team once in a while, but sustaining that luck over the better part of five days against a good team is something else...they don't have it in them right now....they might, in the future, i don't know and i really don't care that much....since we are stuck with them anyway, the only thing is to hope that they will improve some day, as it is, they are dragging down the standards of test cricket significantly....

Beleg

International Regular
I don't care how many hundred million screaming fans you have, at the end of the day the best cricketing sides ever have come from an island of 16 million people (or a string of islands of about 10 million)... Enthusiasm means zero when there's no talent identification, youth setups or infrastructure.. I expect China to beat England before Bangladesh do.. (seeing as they've already klapped the Aussies )
You are making deeply idiotic sweeping generalization without any sort of proof to back you up.

Do you contest that Bangladesh hasn't improved as a side over the last 5 years?

How do you know that there is no infrastructure, no professional interest whatsoever in the game? Actually, can that. How can you realistically believe such nonsense?

To expect instantaneous results from the on-going efforts is foolish. It took WI nearly 70 years and Aussies either 50, 90 or 150 of preptual playing to field their best sides. Look at the time taken by countries like NZ, WI and Sri-Lanka merely to get competent enough to play test-cricket.

Why than can such patience and optism not be applied in Bangladesh's case?

Personally, I believe that Bangladesh will enter the top 8 (which might expand into top if WI pull their act together) during the next 5-10 years.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet as I haven't bothered to read the preceeding pages, so sorry if anyone has.

NZ did not win a Test until its 45th match. With its poulation and position in a cricket-mad part of the world, Bangladesh surely will come good. Hopefully it's not too far away either.

With a good young team, I think this team is hard done by being below Kenya in the ODI rankings despite Kenya only having played a handful of matches.

C'mon Bangers !

Langeveldt

Soutie
Beleg said:
You are making deeply idiotic sweeping generalization without any sort of proof to back you up.

Do you contest that Bangladesh hasn't improved as a side over the last 5 years?

How do you know that there is no infrastructure, no professional interest whatsoever in the game? Actually, can that. How can you realistically believe such nonsense?

To expect instantaneous results from the on-going efforts is foolish. It took WI nearly 70 years and Aussies either 50, 90 or 150 of preptual playing to field their best sides. Look at the time taken by countries like NZ, WI and Sri-Lanka merely to get competent enough to play test-cricket.

Why than can such patience and optism not be applied in Bangladesh's case?

Personally, I believe that Bangladesh will enter the top 8 (which might expand into top if WI pull their act together) during the next 5-10 years.
How can you say anything you post on here then, without obviously having spoken to the players and watched all the matches of course involved.. Have you seen all the cricketing infrastructure in Bangladesh? Have you ever been there?

I don't expect instantaneous results, merely it would be nice to see them compete in a test match that wasn't against Zimbabwe (the last must have been Multan).. Obviously thats too much to ask, but I guess they have all the time in the world seeing as they won't get dropped from test cricket

I'm going by what some fairly "in the know" people have been saying (such as Dav Whatmore, Chapple etc.).. Don't think I've got some chip on my shoulder and will badmouth them at any oppertunity, I'm inclined to believe what these people are saying, and the results totally prove my point.. I can't for the life think of me how the two tests (yes I'm talking about that forgotten game, test cricket) against England I've just seen shows any sort of improvement, in fact, I don't see how it could get a lot worse..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I don't expect instantaneous results, merely it would be nice to see them compete in a test match that wasn't against Zimbabwe (the last must have been Multan)
Beg to differ, but I'd say the last was this one and that they got fairly close in that match, too...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Both fairly easy victories though.. (If the first test match in question had been 6 days)
Oh, so now we're going on to "hard victories" (which are fairly rare in Test cricket - I'd say about one in ten are...) instead of "competing"? Sure, whatever you say...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Samuel_Vimes said:
Oh, so now we're going on to "hard victories" (which are fairly rare in Test cricket - I'd say about one in ten are...) instead of "competing"? Sure, whatever you say...
Well if you think they are any good then fair play to you! I'd have thought you would have been a bit miffed that Norway didn't pip them to the 10th test spot..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Well if you think they are any good then fair play to you! I'd have thought you would have been a bit miffed that Norway didn't pip them to the 10th test spot..
LOL, no. The ICC don't accept fish as bribes. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:
Sure. Windies and Sri Lanka should be within their grasp, or a particularly injury-ravaged NZ touring side.
Like NZ in 2004\05, you mean?
And SRI LANKA?!?!?!
If Bangladesh beat Sri Lanka in the near future I'll eat my computer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
100 million people - most of whom are cricket-mad, I believe. That's one large talent pool.
India have had the largest talent pool in World cricket pretty much since they started playing.
It doesn't work like that.