Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Whats better ? Write an article for cricket web or post it on CC ?

  1. #1
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346

    Whats better ? Write an article for cricket web or post it on CC ?

    I have always wondered about this. Whenever one has posted anything remotely like what could be termed an article on this forum, the response/feedback has been instantaneous which is very gratifying irrespective of weather the response is positive or negative. However, an article posted on the Cricket Web, rarely gets any response (a couple of e-mails not withstanding).

    This has always made me wonder whether those who are frequent visitors on these forums and who so fiercely and passionately discuss/argue various cricketing issues, ever visit and read the articles posted on the CW.

    For anyone writing on an internet site, an idea of the reach of the media and the response to what's written is a very important indicator not just of how many people one is able to reach (which is important in itself) but also to know how others feel about the same issues.

    Yesterday, I wrote my second article for CW, after a gap of over three months but one doesnt know if it served any purpose other than seeing one's name appended to one's views on a public forum.

    So, how many of you read such articles ?


    Indian Fan's Surreal Experience

  2. #2
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    I read them occasionally - I confess that, although I tend to read most of luckyeddie's material, the rest I tend to read dependent on interest in the subject covered. I will say though that Neil's a very clean writer with obvious talent, and the standard in general is pretty good.

    I've had the same situation at other sites though, where I could contribute articles, or post in a forum. And the instant feedback - either as praise or criticism, or just in terms of debate - is usually more gratifying.

    One thing that could maybe mediate this would require either modification of the script James is using as the site's backbone (or the addition of another script like say, wordpress for articles and news) in order to add the ability to comment.

    Many news sites these days offer the ability to post feedback on articles - the BBC does it, as do a host of others, and there are certainly sports sites that do it. Generally it's in the form of a blog entry, where comments are appended to the bottom of the article itself, but sometimes you can improvise a little and have a "discuss this article here" link that points to a forum topic established for the article (or where the article is reproduced).

    Anyhow, it's a thought - it must feel like speaking to an empty room sometimes.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    I read them because, obviously, I write for the site. I do believe that plenty of people visit the site without reading the forum, so perhaps some people do come here just for the content.

    One would like to hope so, anyway.

    I'd also like to see the comment feature, or something similar.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    25,787
    Same discussion is going on in staff circles at the moment actually.

    Cricket Web (not including the forum) gets three times as many visitors as the forum does which when you're dealing with big numbers tells you something.

    A good suggestion you have there though Slow Love!


  5. #5
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    I have always wondered about this. Whenever one has posted anything remotely like what could be termed an article on this forum, the response/feedback has been instantaneous which is very gratifying irrespective of weather the response is positive or negative. However, an article posted on the Cricket Web, rarely gets any response (a couple of e-mails not withstanding).

    This has always made me wonder whether those who are frequent visitors on these forums and who so fiercely and passionately discuss/argue various cricketing issues, ever visit and read the articles posted on the CW.

    For anyone writing on an internet site, an idea of the reach of the media and the response to what's written is a very important indicator not just of how many people one is able to reach (which is important in itself) but also to know how others feel about the same issues.

    Yesterday, I wrote my second article for CW, after a gap of over three months but one doesnt know if it served any purpose other than seeing one's name appended to one's views on a public forum.

    So, how many of you read such articles ?


    Indian Fan's Surreal Experience
    To be honest I never read any of the articles, though I did read part one of the Ashes history, which was very well written, the problem was myself; I have read so much about the early part of the Ashes there was nothing new.

    I just read your article SJS, very good, I should make more of an effort to read CW, but to be honest I do not even read newspapers. I am sure I would be much more likly to read them if they were published on this forum. I would like to see a section with Cricket book reviews; new and old.
    You know it makes sense.

  6. #6
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I would like to see a section with Cricket book reviews; new and old.
    Thats a very good idea.

    I would love to write reviews for the books I have read and still posess but again, as Slow_Love said, talking to what appears like an empty room is not a very encouraging prospect.

  7. #7
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Same discussion is going on in staff circles at the moment actually.

    Cricket Web (not including the forum) gets three times as many visitors as the forum does which when you're dealing with big numbers tells you something.

    A good suggestion you have there though Slow Love!
    We have exchanged some communication on this before James. I myself dont read articles on the CW and the only reason I can offer is that I dont get to know when, which new article is posted. My bookmark brings me directly to CC. I think we must have, on each page on the site if possible, links to the major pages on the site to facilitate navigation and more importantly to serve as a reminder that there is more to the CW than the chat rooms.

  8. #8
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Thats a very good idea.

    I would love to write reviews for the books I have read and still posess but again, as Slow_Love said, talking to what appears like an empty room is not a very encouraging prospect.
    Well I would read every one, just don't make a mistake, I'll be all over you like a MOD on a 'does Murali chuck' thread.

  9. #9
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Oh, another thing that might be helpful could be a "rate this article" feature - and in addition, a "best rated" section or similar, to get a grasp on what's really hitting the spot, etc (or you could just keep the ratings private for your own evaluation purposes)

    One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a little more in the way of polemic and harder opinion pieces (although tastes will surely differ as to whether it's a good idea or not) - the problem with dry match reports and selection news etc is that it's all already been covered at the major sites, and is effectively second hand info...

    As to knowing when there's new stuff - maybe an RSS news feed? A lot of web users still aren't so web savvy about those though.

  10. #10
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Well I would read every one, just don't make a mistake, I'll be all over you like a MOD on a 'does Murali chuck' thread.

    and why ? because you disagreed with something I said or out of habit like some others

  11. #11
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    and why ? because you disagreed with something I said or out of habit like some others
    I was thinking factual mistakes, or opinionated things like this book is on the best team in the history of Cricket (1948) When I think they should say things like this is arguably the best side in the history of Test Cricket.

    I often become annoyed when some one trashes a book I really enjoyed, I know we are all entitled to our opinion, but that does not stop my blood boiling.

    I read a book Balham to Bollywood by Chris England which I enjoyed immensely, but a review said it was to long and a little racist. I was very upset and fired off an E-mail to the reviewer. A few months later my wife read the book (rare for her. Cricket book I mean not reading) and agreed with the reviewer, so I send off another E-mail to apologise.

  12. #12
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I was thinking factual mistakes, or opinionated things like this book is on the best team in the history of Cricket (1948) When I think they should say things like this is arguably the best side in the history of Test Cricket.

    I often become annoyed when some one trashes a book I really enjoyed, I know we are all entitled to our opinion, but that does not stop my blood boiling.

    I read a book Balham to Bollywood by Chris England which I enjoyed immensely, but a review said it was to long and a little racist. I was very upset and fired off an E-mail to the reviewer. A few months later my wife read the book (rare for her. Cricket book I mean not reading) and agreed with the reviewer, so I send off another E-mail to apologise.
    I know what you mean.

    Well I think all those who claim for anything book, player etc to bethe greatest of all time are asking for trouble since no one can speak with absolute authority on things they havent personally experienced. Even then they can have those who will disagree.

    We do, however, tend to like the reviews which agreee with our opinions. The sports columnists who agree with our views appear more knowledgeable and so on. This is normal human naivette, ego, whatever.

    I prefer not to read the review of a book once I have read the book. It appears, to me, a waste of time. The only reviews I read are those for books I feel I might want to read.

    I rarely decide not to read a book I have made up my mind to, based on an average review.

  13. #13
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    I know what you mean.

    Well I think all those who claim for anything book, player etc to bethe greatest of all time are asking for trouble since no one can speak with absolute authority on things they havent personally experienced. Even then they can have those who will disagree.

    We do, however, tend to like the reviews which agreee with our opinions. The sports columnists who agree with our views appear more knowledgeable and so on. This is normal human naivette, ego, whatever.

    I prefer not to read the review of a book once I have read the book. It appears, to me, a waste of time. The only reviews I read are those for books I feel I might want to read.

    I rarely decide not to read a book I have made up my mind to, based on an average review.
    I only like to read reviews of books I have read, here is a contemporary review on the classic With Bat and Ball by George Giffen.

    Giffen's book is profusely illustrated. On the outside cover it has a portrait of George Giffen. As a frontispiece it has a portrait of George Giffen. Facing page 6 is a portrait of George Giffen at the age of 18. At page 29 are portraints of the Australian eleven of 1882, including George Giffen. A portrait of Giffen with a ball appears on page 36. At page 281 there is a portrait of George Giffen ready to meet the ball. As a bowler and author George Giffen keeps himself on... Fair book; good man -too d - d modest.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Love™
    Many news sites these days offer the ability to post feedback on articles - the BBC does it, as do a host of others, and there are certainly sports sites that do it. Generally it's in the form of a blog entry, where comments are appended to the bottom of the article itself, but sometimes you can improvise a little and have a "discuss this article here" link that points to a forum topic established for the article (or where the article is reproduced).
    A quite brilliant idea - and one which might snap me out of my current torpor.

    It could encourage new members to the forum too.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  15. #15
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    A quite brilliant idea - and one which might snap me out of my current torpor.

    It could encourage new members to the forum too.
    I would not be doing anything with a torpor, snapping or otherwise if it blows up there could be a nasty accident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Favourite Post
    By Dydl in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26-04-2005, 05:46 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •