• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes squad will be this (England)

chris.hinton

International Captain
Nasser Hussain (Capt)
Marcus Trescothick
Michael Vuaghan
Mark Butcher
John Crawley
Alec Stewart
Andy Flintoff
Ashley Giles
Darren Gough
Andy Caddick
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones
Steve Harminson
Graham Thorpe
Robert Key
Alex Tudor
Rikki Clarke

Crawley and Trescoithick can Wicketkeep so a reserve will not be needed

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
After the discussion I heard Rod Marsh have about Simon Jones, I think that he will be academy-bound this winter.

Same with Clarke - maybe (although last weeks century under lights with Marsh looking on will have helped his cause, he is not quite ready).

Likewise with wicket-keeping reserves, there won't be one selected because my guess is that a similar thing will happen.

I would also not be at all surprised to see Tudor omitted for the same reason.

It's not like the old days where an 18-strong touring party had to cover all eventualities from within their ranks. Many of the 'fringe' players would benefit from a spell at the academy - they would be far better off there than sitting in the stands or carrying drinks.

They are, after all, only a plane ride away.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
16 players named (see front page).

Richard Dawson made it in as second spinner. Some players are off to the academy (Rikki Clarke is one I heard), not sure whether Tudor got another academy call.

Foster made it - I thought that they wouldn't take a second keeper but have him on 'stand by'.

All in all, a fairly predictable selection.