• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

worst players on the international circuit?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Those nominating Tresco, Vaughan, Giles, etc are really taking the ****.

England are clearly the second best team at the moment and it is easy to nominate 2 players from any other country worse than the above.

I'll start with SA - Hashim Amla (batting) and Justin Ontong (bowling).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
Because it's not necessarily always the case.

For instance I rate Aftab Habib and Usman Afzaal VERY highly.
In that case instead of England you could have put.... "White, Christian" :sleep:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
sledger said:
tbh i didnt think afzaal was that bad, certainly not in odis, however habib was a disgraceful selection.
Afzaal may not have been the worst batter ever to play for England, but he was responsible for the most OTT celeb ever. He scored a 50 on an absolute featherbed in the 5th test @ The Oval v Oz in 2001 (it was a dead rubber, natch) & punched the air like he'd made 400!

England followed on, lost by an innings (Afzaal was dismissed in single figures in the 2nd) & he hasn't played a test since!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Those nominating Tresco, Vaughan, Giles, etc are really taking the ****.

England are clearly the second best team at the moment and it is easy to nominate 2 players from any other country worse than the above.

I'll start with SA - Hashim Amla (batting) and Justin Ontong (bowling).
Tresco and Vaughan are obviously a joke, but I don't think there are many poorer bowlers than Giles who are regularly selected for their international sides. Obviously Boje, various Windies spinners etc are worse, but how regularly are they picked?

I guess it depends on how you define the question.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Tresco and Vaughan are obviously a joke, but I don't think there are many poorer bowlers than Giles who are regularly selected for their international sides. Obviously Boje, various Windies spinners etc are worse, but how regularly are they picked?

I guess it depends on how you define the question.
Giles is not a great bowler but I wouldnt call him trash in today's depleted world stock of left arm orthodox spinners. He is one of the better bowlers of those playing. I agree thats not a great bunch but to calll him trash is a bit unfair in such a case.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Worst batsman The first player that came to me was Matthew Sinclair, maybe not the worst batsman but definately one of the most inconsistent international batsman.
Worst bowler Lance Hamilton - just showed how many injuries we had that Hamilton managed to make the side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sinclair is a good batsman. Hes just not an opener by any stretch of the imagination. Hes been played there quite a bit, and this his hindered his success.

Hes possibly the worst person to send in against the new ball - he is vulnerable early, but goes on when he gets a start. The worst candidate to open the batting, really. (unless, of course, you are playing in the sub continent)

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
worst batsman: Michael Vaughan- bit of an anti-climax really, was quite promising last Ashes
Worst bowler: Kyle Mills- shouldnt even get into a four pronged test line-up and anyone who thinks he is an all-rounder should say the same of any other tail-ender that can hit a ball, hes a useless batsman by the standards of the Aussie 'bowlers'

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Giles is not a great bowler but I wouldnt call him trash in today's depleted world stock of left arm orthodox spinners. He is one of the better bowlers of those playing. I agree thats not a great bunch but to calll him trash is a bit unfair in such a case.
Not really calling him trash, I just think he's fairly average. Of those teams which pick a spinner in every match, who's spinner is worse? Australia have Warne and Macgill, Pakistan have Kaneria and I guess Saqlain if he ever plays again, India have Kumble and Harbhajan, Sri Lanka have Murali, New Zealand have Vettori... that leaves Giles fairly low on the list. There are obviously far worse bowlers going around the scene, but if you exclude the three worst teams and limit yourself to those consistently picked in the first XI, only a couple are genuinely much worse than giles... like Sami for example, and Boje if he counts.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Tapash Baisya is without doubt by far the worst bowler ever to achieve consistent selection in any international side. Mohammad Sami, statistically at least, is easily the worst current bowler to gain a regular place in a decent Test side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Tapash Baisya is without doubt by far the worst bowler ever to achieve consistent selection in any international side. Mohammad Sami, statistically at least, is easily the worst current bowler to gain a regular place in a decent Test side.
I'd say Bangladesh alone have regularly selected worse bowlers than Baisya. He's not great, but he's not the worst they've produced either.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Worst batsman: Saman Jayantha (although he's now been dropped again, thankfully), possibly Lou Vincent.
Worst bowler (assuming Tests): Ashish Nehra or Mohammad Sami

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pietersen and Harmison.

...I swear I had a serious answer and then forgot it.

Steulen

International Regular
Worst batsman: in Tests, I think Boeta Dippenaar comes closest to being always there and nearly always bad.
Worst bowler: apart from Ashless Giles, who is sometimes pretty decent, I can't remember seeing to much good coming out of the Windies pace (laughing) stocks. As an individual bowler, it has to be Naved-ul-Hasan (in Tests, again).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Worst batsman: Saman Jayantha (although he's now been dropped again, thankfully), possibly Lou Vincent.
Worst bowler (assuming Tests): Ashish Nehra or Mohammad Sami
I am amazed at the number of people rating Sami as such. (Not that i disagree)

Less than a year back he was being bracketted with the best :)