• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Preditct national side in 2008

Monty

U19 Cricketer
predict your national test side in 2008
mine is Australia
1.PA Jacques
2. M Hussey
3.R Ponting (C)
4. M Clrake (VC)
5. D Hussey
6. S Katich
7. B Haddin (WK)
8. S watson
9.D cullen
10.J Gillespie
11.S tait
what do you think

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not too sure Dizzy will still be there, I'd say Lee has more chance. He's couple of years younger with far fewer miles on the clock.

I'll have a bash @ England:

1) Strauss *
2) Newman
3) Vaughan
4) Bell
5) Joyce
6) Pietersen
7) Flintoff
8) Prior +
9) Tremlett
10) S. Jones
11) Harmison

Pietersen, of course, will be a world-class off spin bowler by then! :p

howardj

International Coach
Monty said:
predict your national test side in 2008
mine is Australia
1.PA Jacques
2. M Hussey
3.R Ponting (C)
4. M Clrake (VC)
5. D Hussey
6. S Katich
7. B Haddin (WK)
8. S watson
9.D cullen
10.J Gillespie
11.S tait
what do you think
Decent team. But you can not be serious about David Hussey. The guy is almost 30, and he got dropped from his state side last summer. He's pretty average, I reckon.

I'd go more for something like

1. Langer
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Katich
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Cullen
9. Lee
10. Tait
11. Bird

Last edited:

Monty

U19 Cricketer
have you seen his county average recentely
Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St Team
10 14 1 821 118 63.15 75.32 1 7 20 - NOTTS

howardj

International Coach
Monty said:
have you seen his county average recentely
Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St Team
10 14 1 821 118 63.15 75.32 1 7 20 - NOTTS
Mate, if you're nearing 30, and you've only really had one good FC season here in Australia, and you got dropped last summer, odds are that you won't play Test cricket.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
he is coming back he will bounce back this year make a big double hundred the get picked just like his bro

howardj

International Coach
Monty said:
he is coming back he will bounce back this year make a big double hundred the get picked just like his bro
"Coming back" implies that he was good in the first place. He was only ever a "one season wonder". And it took him until his late 20's to have that good season. A player such as he should be happy to just have a FC career. And, if you're a fan of his, then just be happy if he plays FC cricket for the rest of his career. It's as far as his talent will take him.

Chubb

International Regular
Zimbabwe- probably the hardest to predict

B. Taylor or B. Rogers
N. Ferreira or V. Sibanda
D. Ebrahim or D. Marillier
H. Masakadza *
T. Mawoyo or C. Coventry or S. Williams
T. Taibu+
E. Chigumbura
A. Blignaut
T. Panyangara
G. Cremer or P. Utseya
D. Hondo

The "ors" are in case of emigration. Obviously the others might emigrate too, so it's pretty difficult to predict a Zimbok side. I have a feeling that by 2008 Tatenda might not want to captain anymore, his workload is so harsh, and I think Hamilton Masakadza would make a very good captain, in fact I reckon by 2008 he'll be averaging upper 30's, he's a fine player. Tino Mawoyo is the current U19 captain and I don't think a test call is too far away for him. Panyangara has enough talent to become the New Streak.

Obviously if there is a regime change a considerably stronger side could be assembled, employing Sean Ervine (look out for his brother Craig by the way, he could make it by 2008) Travis Friend, The Raymeister, and a whole load of exiled Zimbabweans. We can only hope.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Ergm
Dutchies

1.Kervezee
2.van Bunge(c)
3.van Nierop
4.de Grooth
5.Zuiderent
6.Buurman +
7.ten Doeschate
8.Seelaar
9.Gokke
10.Schiferli
11.Raja

something like that.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
howardj said:
"Coming back" implies that he was good in the first place. He was only ever a "one season wonder". And it took him until his late 20's to have that good season. A player such as he should be happy to just have a FC career. And, if you're a fan of his, then just be happy if he plays FC cricket for the rest of his career. It's as far as his talent will take him.
how can you say that about a player that avereages 53.56 in 50 matches with 13 hundreds
it apperas as though you have something against him i would say dropping him was stupid as he was starting to get back in form

Shoaib

Banned
This would be probably Pakistan's test side in 2008.

Salman Butt
Shahid Afridi
Hasan Raza
Yousuf Youhana (C)
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan (VC)
Abdul Razzaq
Kamran Akmal (WK)
Shoaib Akhtar
Riaz Afridi
Mansoor Amjad

King_Ponting

International Regular
howardj said:
Decent team. But you can not be serious about David Hussey. The guy is almost 30, and he got dropped from his state side last summer. He's pretty average, I reckon.

1. Langer
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Katich
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Cullen
9. Lee
10. Tait
11. Bird
Cant really see him playing in 3 years

howardj

International Coach
Monty said:
how can you say that about a player that avereages 53.56 in 50 matches with 13 hundreds
it apperas as though you have something against him i would say dropping him was stupid as he was starting to get back in form
Mate, you're not listening. Look at his FC record in AUSTRALIA (the toughest domestic cricket in the world). He got dropped last summer. He has had one season of good cricket out here. In 2008 he will be 31/32. If you think he will play Test cricket for Australia in 2008, then good luck to you. But, on the balance of probabilities, he will not.

howardj

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
Fit as a bull. Lives for cricket. Hell, I reckon he will make another Ashes tour. Put it this way - he won't voluntarily walk away from his beloved Baggy Green. This is a man who shead tears when the team song was handed over to him to perform. The man who describes Lords as something that "lifts you up and gives you a big bear hug, and slap on the back, like an old grandfather who you havent seen for a while." Loves his cricket!

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
To tell you the truth, I can. He eats cricket and will play on as long as possible - I guess whether he'll still be in the side by then is up for conjecture.
Monty said:
He wasn't really getting back into form, but it was another case of not transferring form from One Dayers, where he was averaging 40+, to Pura Cup - ave of about 22-23. I think there were other blokes *cough* Moss *cough* whose head should have been on the chopping block before that, and in the end (from all reports) could well have cost him a trip to NZ with the ODI side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:

1. Langer
2. Jacques
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Katich
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Cullen
9. Lee
10. Tait
11. Bird
Really think Bird will make it? With his action being reworked and so on, I think there's a fair chance he won't amount to much. I agree with the rest of it though... if Cullen doesn't back up from last season there's always the chance of a four-prong pace attack too. That top six looks very likely indeed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Isn't Langer a coupla years older than Martyn?

I know little Just is bang into his Origami (or somesuch :D ), but Damien is no slouch in the fitness stakes either. Why Langer still around & not Martyn?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Isn't Langer a coupla years older than Martyn?

I know little Just is bang into his Origami (or somesuch :D ), but Damien is no slouch in the fitness stakes either. Why Langer still around & not Martyn?
They're about 1 year apart. Langer turns 35 in November, Martyn 34 in October. Martyn could definately still be around, but personally I think he's likely to be gone along with Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne come the end of the next Ashes series/2007 WC.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1. AB De Villiers
2. GC Smith
3. HH Gibbs
4. JH Kallis
5. VB van Jaarsveld
6. E Nkwe
7. MV Boucher
8. T Tshalabala
9. M Zondeki
10. D Steyn
11. Q Friend

Shahid_afridi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Shoaib said:
This would be probably Pakistan's test side in 2008.

Salman Butt
Shahid Afridi
Hasan Raza
Yousuf Youhana (C)
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan (VC)
Abdul Razzaq
Kamran Akmal (WK)
Shoaib Akhtar
Riaz Afridi
Mansoor Amjad
i think sami would still be in the side until then...and i think yasir arafat would be in the side instead of riaz afridi