• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best batsman currently available to England?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I agree that averages are a pretty fair indicator of a batter's performances, but some players seem far more concerned about playing for the red ink than others. Fred for one seems more or less totally unconcerned about his average, I think from memory he's had 3 not outs in tests which for someone who's batted 6 & below is remarkable. The other extreme is someone like Kallis who often plays like he'd sell his mum to slavery for a nice juicy NO.

Now I'm not comparing the two as batters, but I don't think the difference of 25-ish in their averages is a true reflection of their respective worth to their teams.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
precisely, i agree completely about freddy, as his average doesnt reflect his worth to the england side by any stretch.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever happened to the batsman we had in the 97 Ashes?

Atherton b. McGrath I think his name was :S

a massive zebra

International Captain
It should be clear to anyone with a brain and two working eyes that Kevin Pietersen is easily the best batsmen currently available to England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
a massive zebra said:
It should be clear to anyone with a brain and two working eyes that Kevin Pietersen is easily the best batsmen currently available to England.
Possibly a shade premature after 3 test innings, but he does look to the manor born. I think you'll be proved right in the fullness of time. :)

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
England's best batsman currently is obviously Andrew Strauss and anyone who thinks otherwise is insane.
Equally people were insane to think it wasn't Thorpe between his final return and the end of last summer, Vaughan in 2002 and Thorpe (again) in 2000-2001\02.
im sorry what?
strauss is far from proven, let alone the best batsman in england.
and best players dont just fluctuate based on form, because thorpe was undoubtedly the best player in england until he retired.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I agree that averages are a pretty fair indicator of a batter's performances, but some players seem far more concerned about playing for the red ink than others. Fred for one seems more or less totally unconcerned about his average, I think from memory he's had 3 not outs in tests which for someone who's batted 6 & below is remarkable. The other extreme is someone like Kallis who often plays like he'd sell his mum to slavery for a nice juicy NO.

Now I'm not comparing the two as batters, but I don't think the difference of 25-ish in their averages is a true reflection of their respective worth to their teams.
IMO most batsmen don't play for not-outs anywhere near often enough.
Of course you don't put a not-out ahead of the interests of your team but so many players waste the chance of a not-out in a hopeless situation or through virtually seeming like they don't mind getting out.