• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gary Gilmour - needs Liver Transplant

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Just read this on Cricinfo - http://content.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/214437.html

Was shocked to hear that he is fighting for his life and needs a transplant urgently .

I wonder if ICC and Cricket Boards should have contingency funds to help out medical emergencies for ex Test players . I hope and pray that enough funds are generated soon and pray for his return to good health . Have read about his exploits in 75 world cup and the era before and after World Series Cricket . In fact I know he was in the Team that played SL in the First World Cup that knocked a couple of players on the head from the struggling minnows (as SL was then :D ) , But SL still replied a decent 270 odd and lost by 60 odd runs.

May he return to good health soon and pray no stone is left unturned in getting him all the funds and support necessary !! :mellow:

C_C

International Captain
While my deepest sympathies and best wishes are there towards Gilmour and his family, i disagree that ICC should have some 'special players care' and stuff.
Why does ICC need to create funds or resources for cricketers only ?
Such actions divert resources and requirements and orients them in an elitist fashion.
What makes Gimour deserve life any more than some kid in the middle of aussie boondocks or in sub-saharan africa with the same liver problem ? Just because he happens to be famous ? Just because he happens to be a celibrity ? No sir. It does not imply that he is any more deserving to live than any other ordinary human being.
Instead, the focus should be a global co-operation and pooling of resources in the medical field to give the best of care and treatment towards the needy in a 'need based scenario' instead of creating elitist models that benifit some with no apparent reason at the detriment of others.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Why does ICC need to create funds or resources for cricketers only ?
Such actions divert resources and requirements and orients them in an elitist fashion.
What makes Gimour deserve life any more than some kid in the middle of aussie boondocks or in sub-saharan africa with the same liver problem ? Just because he happens to be famous ? Just because he happens to be a celibrity ? No sir. It does not imply that he is any more deserving to live than any other ordinary human being.
Instead, the focus should be a global co-operation and pooling of resources in the medical field to give the best of care and treatment towards the needy in a 'need based scenario' instead of creating elitist models that benifit some with no apparent reason at the detriment of others.
Gilmour is hardly a celebrity, he is just a player who gave best of his youth to Cricket. He played in an era when there wasn't much money in cricket. IMO Cricket Organizations (be it ICC or Cricket Boards) must make sure that such things are taken care of.

As for elitist model, you work for an Oraganization, you get paid a salary, yet you demand(or are offered) medical benefits, housing allowances and other benefits, why ? Do you ever tell them that they should provide those benefits to the kids in Africa as well ?? Doesn't it make you elitist in some way ?

The fact is that we all take advantages of such elitist model some way somewhere and I think Gilmour deserves it as much as any kid in Sahara.

C_C

International Captain
As for elitist model, you work for an Oraganization, you get paid a salary, yet you demand(or are offered) medical benefits, housing allowances and other benefits, why ?
Urmmmm. Except that i dont demand such benifits.

I think Gilmour deserves it as much as any kid in Sahara.[/quoet]

Quiete correct....deserves it as much as as any kid in Sahara. Not more. Instead of each company providing services for its employees, it would make a whole lot more sense to pool the resources together and let everyone benifit on a need-based scenario.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have no objection to the ICC being party to a fund for ex-cricketers who have fallen on hard times - that's common sense and is precisely the same as any insurance fund administered by or on behalf of any company you might wish to name.

As far as Gary Gilmour is concerned, of course his friends and colleagues are rallying round - that's what friends are for too.

30 years ago, eh? God, I'm so old. It was the only game I ever saw him play. I really hope he gets well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Urmmmm. Except that i dont demand such benifits.
Neither is Gilmour. The point is we accept such elitist benefits every day and think that it is our right to have such rewards.

Quiete correct....deserves it as much as as any kid in Sahara. Not more. Instead of each company providing services for its employees, it would make a whole lot more sense to pool the resources together and let everyone benifit on a need-based scenario.
Well I dont think Gilmour is getting it more that the kids in Africa. While the kids in Africa have UN and many other charity organizations to depend on, Gilmour has none. Your utopian suggestion will remain utopian and I dont think there are any takers today.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Must be awful for his family. To declare a slight personal interest my Dad died almost exactly 12 years ago whilst waiting for a heart transplant (he was 51) so I'd implore everyone to carry a donor's card.

I don't wish to cast aspersions, but was Gilmour a noted imbiber?