Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring in Collingwood for Giles?

Cricket Spectator Kevin_Pietersen's Avatar

Bring in Collingwood for Giles?

Do you think England should drop Giles for the next Ashes test match and bring in the extra all rounder...Paul Collingwood.

I think they should after his innings of 181 against Somerset and guess what? England selector David Graveney was watching Collingwood's innings.He seems to be in good form so select him while that form lasts.

He is a useful bowler and England can use him when they run out of all their ideas cause he is a handy performer with the ball.I recall he took 6 wickets in the Natwest Series against Bangladesh and that was brilliant!!! Many may argue it was against Bangladesh but the deliveries he got them out with would have troubled most Australian batsman. He definetly has the class to compete with the Aussies so why not?

Banned
    No.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Warne
    No.
    You're an Aussie. It stands to reason you'd want Giles to stay in.

I think there are far worse decisions that the selectors culd make than bringing in Colly. He can field, he can grind out an innings, he can bowl a bit (I'm sure he wouldn't be used any less than Giles would be this series), and he's a real 110% man. Personally, I'd rather see Ed Joyce given a go, but Colly would be right behind him for me.

Why do you say no??? LOL...

Ed Joyce?? Do you really think he has it to become a test player? I am not quite sure about that...Collingwood leads the race for a bowling replacement in my view and about a batting replacement I might give Rob Key the edge over Ed Joyce.
    Last edited by Kevin_Pietersen; 27-07-2005 at 01:13 PM.

International Coach
    Collingwood isn't Test class with either bat or ball. There's no point in having a fifth seamer and no spinner. We've got 5 so called top batsmen a so-called world class allrounder as well as a wicketkeeper chosen primarily for his batting. If they can't make the runs then Collingwood isn't going to make any difference. If he plays at all it would have to be in place of Bell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson
    Collingwood isn't Test class with either bat or ball. There's no point in having a fifth seamer and no spinner. We've got 5 so called top batsmen a so-called world class allrounder as well as a wicketkeeper chosen primarily for his batting. If they can't make the runs then Collingwood isn't going to make any difference. If he plays at all it would have to be in place of Bell.
    Good post.

A bits and pieces cricketer is not the answer.

U19 Vice-Captain
    There is only a case for this if there is going too be nothing in the pitch for giles and even then i really dont think England should be rushing into making changes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson
    True...but looking at Giles' bowling performance doesn't really make a difference if we have him, he only bowls long hops and allows the batsman to smash him round the park.Didn't look threatening with any ball he bowled.

Quote Originally Posted by kendall
    There is only a case for this if there is going too be nothing in the pitch for giles and even then i really dont think England should be rushing into making changes like this.
    Yes I agree that England shouldn't be rushing into changes and I don't think they will.I was not suggesting that England really need to drop Giles but I just heard this in the press and just trying to get your guys views on this.

In my opinion I would keep Giles and I would see how he goes and if he bowls poorly again then I would CONSIDER dropping him but I wouldn't exactly bring Collingwood in for him.

Well funnily enough we "packed the batting" the last time we played Oz @ Edgbaston in 2001. Playing Afzaal @ 7 & White as the all-rounder @ 8.

The result? Well see for yourselves:

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...09JUL2001.html
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

U19 Vice-Captain
    oh dear i think i remember that Australian ingings well there have been so many like it

Well thats a different England team from the team we have now.Alright, we give Giles a go in the next test see how he gets on.Hopefully he proves me wrong...but I didn't say that Giles HAS be dropped.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    What purpose does Giles serve? He's hardly going to get a bowl and when he does I don't see him making much of an impact against the aussies. Not saying Collingwood will do better with the ball but he certainly does add with the bat. There is of course the option of bringing him in for Bell who looks out at sea so far.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Smacks of pressing the panic button to me. Ffs Giles has been playing the best cricket of his career over the last year, I see no reason to drop him after one match against the best side in the world.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    If the pacers perform, then he's just wasting a spot. Also, with Collingwood in that strengthens the batting. Still it'd make sense to wait till later in the series to make any changes.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information