• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bring in Collingwood for Giles?

Kevin_Pietersen

Cricket Spectator
Do you think England should drop Giles for the next Ashes test match and bring in the extra all rounder...Paul Collingwood.

I think they should after his innings of 181 against Somerset and guess what? England selector David Graveney was watching Collingwood's innings.He seems to be in good form so select him while that form lasts.

He is a useful bowler and England can use him when they run out of all their ideas cause he is a handy performer with the ball.I recall he took 6 wickets in the Natwest Series against Bangladesh and that was brilliant!!! Many may argue it was against Bangladesh but the deliveries he got them out with would have troubled most Australian batsman. He definetly has the class to compete with the Aussies so why not?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
You're an Aussie. It stands to reason you'd want Giles to stay in. :D

I think there are far worse decisions that the selectors culd make than bringing in Colly. He can field, he can grind out an innings, he can bowl a bit (I'm sure he wouldn't be used any less than Giles would be this series), and he's a real 110% man. Personally, I'd rather see Ed Joyce given a go, but Colly would be right behind him for me.

Kevin_Pietersen

Cricket Spectator
Why do you say no??? LOL... :happy:

Ed Joyce?? Do you really think he has it to become a test player? I am not quite sure about that...Collingwood leads the race for a bowling replacement in my view and about a batting replacement I might give Rob Key the edge over Ed Joyce.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Collingwood isn't Test class with either bat or ball. There's no point in having a fifth seamer and no spinner. We've got 5 so called top batsmen a so-called world class allrounder as well as a wicketkeeper chosen primarily for his batting. If they can't make the runs then Collingwood isn't going to make any difference. If he plays at all it would have to be in place of Bell.

Lillian Thomson said:
Collingwood isn't Test class with either bat or ball. There's no point in having a fifth seamer and no spinner. We've got 5 so called top batsmen a so-called world class allrounder as well as a wicketkeeper chosen primarily for his batting. If they can't make the runs then Collingwood isn't going to make any difference. If he plays at all it would have to be in place of Bell.
Good post.

A bits and pieces cricketer is not the answer.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
There is only a case for this if there is going too be nothing in the pitch for giles and even then i really dont think England should be rushing into making changes like this.

Kevin_Pietersen

Cricket Spectator
Lillian Thomson said:
True...but looking at Giles' bowling performance doesn't really make a difference if we have him, he only bowls long hops and allows the batsman to smash him round the park.Didn't look threatening with any ball he bowled.

Kevin_Pietersen

Cricket Spectator
kendall said:
There is only a case for this if there is going too be nothing in the pitch for giles and even then i really dont think England should be rushing into making changes like this.
Yes I agree that England shouldn't be rushing into changes and I don't think they will.I was not suggesting that England really need to drop Giles but I just heard this in the press and just trying to get your guys views on this.

In my opinion I would keep Giles and I would see how he goes and if he bowls poorly again then I would CONSIDER dropping him but I wouldn't exactly bring Collingwood in for him.

Kevin_Pietersen

Cricket Spectator
Well thats a different England team from the team we have now.Alright, we give Giles a go in the next test see how he gets on.Hopefully he proves me wrong...but I didn't say that Giles HAS be dropped.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
What purpose does Giles serve? He's hardly going to get a bowl and when he does I don't see him making much of an impact against the aussies. Not saying Collingwood will do better with the ball but he certainly does add with the bat. There is of course the option of bringing him in for Bell who looks out at sea so far.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Smacks of pressing the panic button to me. Ffs Giles has been playing the best cricket of his career over the last year, I see no reason to drop him after one match against the best side in the world.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If the pacers perform, then he's just wasting a spot. Also, with Collingwood in that strengthens the batting. Still it'd make sense to wait till later in the series to make any changes.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Exactly and the idea of dropping bell after just one match and with no proven replacement availible (due too stupid circumstnces) is obsurd

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Dropping Bell would set him back so far in his development it would be a dumb move. I'm backing him for two hundreds this series and I stick by that. He is a phenomenally talented batsman and will prove that. Don't forget it took Steve Waugh 26 Tests to score a hundred - Bell is in the same mould as him from what I can see. Not got the elegance or power of a Dravid or a Gilchrist, but the mental toughness is what counts, and playing against the Aussies will build him up pretty damn quick in that respect.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think from memory Gilo took 9 wickets @ Edgbaston last year, so I'd say we have to give him this test to prove himself.

Of course it may not turn as much this year (better oppo too in all fairness... :D ), so he may be drinking somewhere near the last chance saloon. He needs to chip in with the bat too. He looked frankly rattled against Lee in the first innings & played a pretty airy waft in the second when concentration was clearly the thing.

Hoggard needs to come to the party a little bit more too. Vaughan had to keep turning to Fred (not long back from his ankle spur, let's remember) 'cos Hoggy looked very harmless when the shine went off the ball.

Same XI for me (injury permitting), but one or two cards should've been marked.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would definately bring Collingwood in but i wont drop Giles because their could be a case where Giles could be needed for the wrest of the series, England should increase the side form 12 to 13 i reckon...