• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giles or Tufnell, who do you think was a better slow left arm spin bowler?

The Cat.

42 matches
121 wickets
b/b 7/47
ave 37.68
econ 2.42
SR 93.28
5 fors 5
10 fors 2

Ashley Frasier.

46 matches
127 wickets
b/b 5/57
ave 37.61
econ 2.76
SR 81.44
5 fors 5
10 fors 0

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Phil from what i remember of him seemed to be more talented than Gilo, but the gap between the two is not much.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes the general consenus seems to be that tufnell had more talent but giles is probably more consistant and with Giles is improvment in the last year i would say they are abotu equal

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tufnell had more talent, what planet is everyone on?
He might have been a bit - and only a bit - better with the old flight (Giles is a surprisingly skillful flight bowler when the situation calls for it) but neither spun the ball any more than the other and Giles has by a million miles the better temperament.
Overall for me Giles is much the better bowler because of his better temperament and less turbulent lifestyle even if Tufnell had a fraction more "natural" ability.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Tufnell had more talent, what planet is everyone on?
He might have been a bit - and only a bit - better with the old flight (Giles is a surprisingly skillful flight bowler when the situation calls for it) but neither spun the ball any more than the other and Giles has by a million miles the better temperament.
Overall for me Giles is much the better bowler because of his better temperament and less turbulent lifestyle even if Tufnell had a fraction more "natural" ability.

but Tuffers was a bigger turner of the ball, he certainly put more action on the ball than Giles does..its what made him a much more threatening bowler

C_C

International Captain
Only when situation demanded for it ?

For a spinner, flight is just about as important as line and length is to McGrath.

I think Tuffers was far more talented- he had more variety, turned the ball a wee bit more, had much better flight and his deliveries dipped very well.
Giles has a better temperament.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, but can anyone explain how a turbulent lifestyle has any affect on a player's cricketing ability?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
marc71178 said:
Sorry, but can anyone explain how a turbulent lifestyle has any affect on a player's cricketing ability?
Simple. Bad personal life (marriage break up, family crisis etc) = not as much concentration. Example? Michael Slater. :( Also, Brian Lara when dating that Swedish blonde model or whomever?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Read Atherton, Hussain and Stewart's autobiographies, then maybe you might just understand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
but Tuffers was a bigger turner of the ball, he certainly put more action on the ball than Giles does..its what made him a much more threatening bowler
Tufnell was a bigger spinner of the ball?
I can only assume you've never watched Giles bowl on a turning pitch, because Giles can spin it as much as the human fingers allow anyone to.
It's NOT POSSIBLE to spin it more than Giles.
The only thing about Tufnell is that most of his match-winning performances were more spectacular than Giles', so he's remembered better.
But Giles has played an equal hand, and both of them were equally rubbish on non-turning pitches.
Thing is, of course, Tufnell's dubious lifestyle led him to waste helpful conditions in a way Giles has extremely rarely done.
When England needed him, Tufnell was not always there - and for me that offsets the fact that Tufnell's improbable turnarounds were more spectacular than Giles'.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Richard said:
I can only assume you've never watched Giles bowl on a turning pitch, because Giles can spin it as much as the human fingers allow anyone to.
Im sure muralithiran spins it more than giles on any pitch

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That just might have to do with the fact that Muralitharan is a wristspinner and I quite clearly stated fingerspinners. 8-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Of course it is. Saqlain and Harhajan, for example, are both significantly bigger turners of the ball than Giles, on whatever wicket you like. Tim May was a bigger turner of the ball than Giles. Plenty of fingerspinners are.

Honestly I think you need to go and watch someone other than Giles or Vettori bowl fingerspin on non-turning wickets, because your ideas about it are just deluded.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
stop it right their......

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tuffers was perhaps slightly more talented, but giles works a lot harder and is a much better batsman, not to mention he isnt dodgy off the field either.