• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

North of England v South of England

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously North of England would win comprehensively because we're made of sterner stuff than the southern softies, but what would the teams be and what would be their relative strengths?

This is all I've got time to come up with at the moment (they're Test sides), I'll finish them later when I've got someone else to copy off. Oh and any claims to KP are dubious at best.

By the way for those that are intellectually challenged this is purely hypothetical and not some silly regular series of 3 ODIs that no TV company wants to cover.

North

*Vaughan
Collingwood
Flintoff
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

South

Trescothick
Strauss
Bell
+Geraint Jones
Giles
Jon Lewis
Tremlett

King_Ponting

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Obviously North of England would win comprehensively because we're made of sterner stuff than the southern softies, but what would the teams be and what would be their relative strengths?

This is all I've got time to come up with at the moment (they're Test sides), I'll finish them later when I've got someone else to copy off. Oh and any claims to KP are dubious at best.

By the way for those that are intellectually challenged this is purely hypothetical and not some silly regular series of 3 ODIs that no TV company wants to cover.

North

*Vaughan
Collingwood
Flintoff
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

South

Trescothick
Strauss
Bell
+Geraint Jones
Giles
Jon Lewis
Tremlett

Well south has jones so they're bound to lose

Scaly piscine

The last few places have been very tricky, have basically just thrown any old rubbish batters in for the North side. Note I've not gone on whether the county they're playing for is northern or not, but on whether from the data available that they're actually northerners or southerners.

North

Jefferson
Chilton
*Vaughan
McGrath
Collingwood
Flintoff
+Hegg
Batty
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson

Others: Keedy (him Hoggard, Harmison and Anderson would be too much)

South

*Trescothick
Strauss
Butcher
Bell
Key
Rikki Clarke...
+Geraint Jones
Giles
Jon Lewis
Tremlett
Kirtley

Others: Cook, Saggers, Read, Prior

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
:D

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
This thread strikes me as increadibly pointless searching through peoples records too see if they are from the north or south at what point do they become different exactly?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Watford gap me thinks.
That's far too South for my liking. Somewhere like Wolverhampton, Leicester or, if I'm going to be really harsh on all those midlanders who want to be northern, Stoke On Trent is far greater. Can't let any old riff raff call themselves northern.

Scaly piscine

superkingdave said:
I'd take Luke Sutton over Hegg atm. maybe even Jon Batty

Ian Blackwell might be just as much use as Batty.
Yea, probably right, if Mustard (Durham) had been playing a bit longer I might have picked him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This would be my current South XI. I'm not sure if Coventry is south of the Watford gap or not, so if it isn't I'll drop Bell for Joyce. Didn't consider Butch as he's crocked just now.

Trescothick
*Strauss
Key
Bell
Thorpe
Pietersen
+G. Jones
Giles
Tremlett
Caddick
Johnson

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well if this game were to play it would be the Souths batting vs the North's Bowling....

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
As much as I'd like to get rid of McGrath, I wouldn't put Irani ahead of him.
Despite Irani's 8 more first class centuries, including a double hundred and his average being far better (38.72 to 32.74)?