• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the worst umpire on the ICC elite panel?

luckyeddie said:
I was intrigued by what you said so had a dig through the ball-by-ball (I never saw anything of that match).
There were two leg-befores given in Warne's favour during that match.

This one sounds nailed on out......

105.2 Warne to Mohammad Sami, OUT: LEG BEFORE WICKET! full toss,
attempted sweep, misses, hit full on the pad in line with middle
and leg, appeal and decision given immediately

This one, I'll grant you, sounds decidedly iffy

43.3 Warne to Kamran Akmal, OUT: LEG BEFORE WICKET! pads up to a leg
break pitched outside leg, long way forward, big shout for lbw
upheld by umpire Koertzen

Only problem is, it was Rudi Koertzen - and that's the only test Jeremy Lloyds has ever umpired in Australia..
:laugh: Owned.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Buddhmaster said:
Who do you think you are, questioning Squiddy?
Just stating facts, that's all. Not questioning anyone with more tentacles than there are good Aussie beers

(one)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Another vote for Bucknor here - as much for his shirty conduct as for his rotten decisions. Although he was once upon a time a very good umpire, he should have been sent to the glue factory some time back. Koertzen has been closing the gap Bucknor holds over the rest of the field in recent times

Although he's so frequently condemned, I actually think that Hair is a decent umpire. Writing what he did in his memoirs before his career was ended was extremely poor though.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Anil said:
really?? why do you think so? :)
Because I think he's a fairly good decision-maker, I guess - although it'll probably serve the debate better to ask why you think he isn't. :p

Assuming it's related to the Murali affair (and it may not be), I think that both camps (and I'm in the "Murali copped a raw deal" category) are too entrenched in their positions at times - in spite of the fact that Murali likely wasn't doing anything worse than a bunch of other bowlers, I don't think Hair's conduct was unprofessional in calling him. If we acknowledge that an optical illusion exists (that suggests that Murali egregiously throws the ball), we have to accept that it looked at the time that Murali was a chucker. So Hair calling him was just a reaction to what he genuinely believed he saw.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Because I think he's a fairly good decision-maker, I guess - although it'll probably serve the debate better to ask why you think he isn't. :p

Assuming it's related to the Murali affair (and it may not be), I think that both camps (and I'm in the "Murali copped a raw deal" category) are too entrenched in their positions at times - in spite of the fact that Murali likely wasn't doing anything worse than a bunch of other bowlers, I don't think Hair's conduct was unprofessional in calling him. If we acknowledge that an optical illusion exists (that suggests that Murali egregiously throws the ball), we have to accept that it looked at the time that Murali was a chucker. So Hair calling him was just a reaction to what he genuinely believed he saw.
Another point in Hair's favour is of course that, regardless of your position on the matter, under the rules of the game at the time, Hair was quite right to call him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Speaking of umpires, Aleem Dar has travelled back to PAK as his wife has had a kiddie, so one B.Bowden will take his place at Edgbaston this week. Fun and frolics aplenty then, and hopefully some good decisions to boot (fingers crossed).
Good decisions from Bowden in a match involving Australia?
Pigs might fly, too...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:

Quite what Hair is supposed to have done wrong, aside from release his autobiography while still on the panel, has always been something of great interest to me.
And it's a question no-one has ever been able to give a decent answer to. The Umpire who was in the wrong over the Murali issue was Emerson (who was, perhaps not surprisingly, on sick-leave from his job at the time), Hair never did anything wrong other than trust his eyes. He followed the procedure set down, and no-one can criticise him for that.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'm so glad we have the tech. Thing is, I'll back the umpires a bit that they all will have howlers from time to time. It's just the onus shouldn't be on them to "ruin" matches, as they're ultimately fallibly human, and simply outclassed by the tech in this regard. No shame in that.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its a travesty that those kind of decisions were happening during this recentish era.

Also love that they only call Bucknor the worst because of that lbw (Indian uploader?) which is frankly much more forgivable then some of those nicks.
Bucknor had multiple shockers in the Sydney game tbf, that LBW was nothing