• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the worst umpire on the ICC elite panel?

Blaze

Banned
broncoman said:
Bowden is the worst, hes strange and brings something different to the game, but as far as making decisions go he just gets it wrong too often for my liking...

He makes some howlers but is rated very highly by most

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Bowden and Bucknor are the worst. And Bowden's case is worrying because he is still young and yet he is making some real goof ups with decisions.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Bowden seems to have a problem handling players - to me he seems to be intimidated by players into making incorrect decisions.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The worst on the panel currently is Bowden, in my opinion. He's been a good umpire, but obviously his errors have increased lately.

The best right now are Dar and Taufel comfortably. I don't get to see as much of Taufel as I would like to due to him not officiating in Australian test matches, but whenever I've seen him I've been very impressed. Dar is almost always on the money. Bowden is excellent, and I think Roebuck is usually pretty good as well. Those four are ahead of the pack for me.

Any thoughts about who should come up to the elite panel to replace Shep?

C_C

International Captain
The worst i've ever seen is Ashoka deSilva.
The worst of the lot currently is Bucknor.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Worst now in my opinion - well, Ashocker if he's still on the panel, otherwise Hair.
The best - that's no contest. Simon Taufel and Aleem Dar (I reckon we all pretty well agree on those two) although Simon has got a bit of the Dickie Bird about him - he can whip the light-meter out before you can say 'Alto-Cumulus'

shaka

International Regular
I actually think Bowden is among the best umpires in the game, most (if not all) decisions are the right ones, but I do agree that Bucknor is past it and makes way too many mistakes.

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
Asucker is not good either, way worse than Bowden, dont know why people say that Billy is worse than DeSilva and Bucknor at this moment in time.

Scallywag

Banned
shaka said:
Asucker is not good either, way worse than Bowden, dont know why people say that Billy is worse than DeSilva and Bucknor at this moment in time.
I gather most posters turned against Bowden when he umpired Australia and Australia were getting the "rub of the green". Dar has been very good in the first ashes test and is being recognised for it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The important thing is...

Will Aleem Dar pick up Shep's mantle and continue skipping to Nelson?

(I seem to recall he copied the great man's idiosyncracy in the West Indies earlier this year)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
I gather most posters turned against Bowden when he umpired Australia and Australia were getting the "rub of the green". Dar has been very good in the first ashes test and is being recognised for it.
God, you're right, Scally.

That Billy Bowden - brilliant umpire. Top bloke.

Steulen

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
God, you're right, Scally.

That Billy Bowden - brilliant umpire. Top bloke.
Must admit I like his antics. Far less enthusiastic about his technophobia, though, and especially his feeble attempts at providing rational arguments in favour of his opinion.

Greatest sight in modern umpiring, however, is Rudi "the Executioner" Koertzen, upholding an LBW appeal. The (lack of) speed when he raises his arm...truly great.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Steulen said:
Rudi "the Executioner" Koertzen, upholding an LBW appeal. The (lack of) speed when he raises his arm...truly great.
Which is a sight that we should not see again, given the fact that he not-outed the plumbest LBW ever...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
yea i think Bucknor should follow shep now & retire
Bucknor should have retired 2 years ago when he'd been poor for a year, then people would've forgotten it.
But people don't forget 3 years of terrible decisions, especially when so many of them have been against the team with the biggest fan-base in The World.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
Jeremy Lloyds would be up there
:-O :eek:
Certainly Lloyds has been far from poor every time I've watched him in the last 4 years.
Where does that come from?