• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England - Champions Trophy

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, Don Bradman's average was a lie :rolleyes:

Only 29 centuries in 80 innings plus 13 fifties. Over 50% of his innings brok 50, and 36% broke 100. Compare that to Tendulkar with 30 100s and 33 fifties in 159 innings. Around 36% 50+ and 18% 100+. Not even close.

117 First Class 100s and 59 Fifties in 338 inns - that's an incredible conversion rate. Tendulkar has 54 tons and 75 fifties in 294. Worse % fifty-plus and conversion rate. Comfortably.

This is the most baseless argument ever. Yes, even more so than Agarkar being an allrounder.

And as for Trescothick, he had clear talent and just wasn't making best use of it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that he would be prepared to settle for 99.94 or whatever it was.

His average only reflects what he had achieved in a stunning career. It can never tell the whole story - no-one's average ever can, the glorious sacrifice for the futile run chase, the dodgy decisions, circumstances in which runs are made, the standard of opposition, all of which are 'hidden' from the cold, antiseptic sting of 'the average'.

That's because it is 'an average'.

It is arguable that it COULD have been higher (much of his cricket was played on uncovered pitches) and he never had the opportunity to 'fill his boots' against the likes of Agarkar but I think that it pretty well indicates how special he was.

It is also arguable that it COULD have been lower. He never had to play tests against Australia!

[Edited on 9/9/02 by luckyeddie]

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hick is class - in lower-class cricket.

I remember when he smashed that championship 400 - we had just gone to 4 day games - and crikey he looked good.

He is one of those people who never quite made the transition to full-fledged test star. A couple of good knocks, a string of failures, out, recalled, a couple of good knocks ad nauseum.

Remind you of anyone else?

All together now....
Somebody said that you meant Ramprakash. Although he hasn't been as prolific as Hick at county level and I know he is inconsistent, but hasn't he been a much better player than this guy at international level?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IMO Hick's been a better player for England, and his average compares favourably with batsmen of his era in the Test arena.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hick is a good barometer for judging the standard of the opposition.

Against mid-range bowlers, he can be devastating. Against a top-quality attack (pace or spin), he's a little better than Rampers - no more.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
IMO Hick's been a better player for England, and his average compares favourably with batsmen of his era in the Test arena.
Really! Do you mean English batsmen of his era or all the batsmen of his era? Are you sure because Hick has 3383 runs in 65 tests at an average of 31.32 in a career that started 10 years back. You are right that Ramps has a worse record, 52 tests, 2350 runs at 27.32. There has surely been much better performers for England over the last 10 years like Atherton, Thorpe, Stewart, Hussain, Butcher, Trescothick....

[Edited on 9/11/02 by anilramavarma]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
English batsmen, and with the era as the early to mid-90s - i.e. before the emergence of Vaughan Thorpe and Trescothick and re-birth of Butcher.

Butcher's for it now. I've just rated him.