Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Border at 50

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    That sounds unusually harsh to have come from Benords. Maybe Benaud was saying it in ironic sense to those critics of Border who said that about him? Because I can't imagine Benaud saying something like that about Border, particularly since it was so untrue. Border in his pomp was a fearsome player off the back-foot (pulls and cuts raced to the fence) and was an outstanding driver of the ball, especially through cover and mid-off. That in addition to the fact he was one of the best players of spin of his generation.
    was a master at judging and playing according to the situation....captained australia at a most difficult phase in the 80s when chappell, lillee and marsh retired almost together....held the team together almost single-handedly for quite a while and the new generation of players(waugh, dean jones, taylor...) matured under his leadership....

Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    As Richie Benaud said, not a bad career for a cricketer who only had two shots.
    I played in a charity match against Border when he was at or near his peak.

Despite the inclusion of former test and state bowlers on our team, he was the star attraction.

The match was played on a relatively small ground but on an absolute green-top.

Batting first, we had the opposition 2 for nothing when Border came to the wicket.

Whilst the rest of the team struggled, he scored 117 off 52 balls (I remember those stats because of the quality of the innings) and, by my recollection, only mis-hit one delivery and did not have a slog until the ball that dismissed him.

Like some others (Steve Waugh, Boycott, etc), he could play all the shots but chose to refine his game to the extent that he only played those with the least risk. And thank god he did as he was a shining beacon in a sea of mediocrity for many years.

Australian cricket owes him far more than most.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    An absolute champion players who played in one of the bleakest ever eras (if not THE bleakest) for Australian cricket. As the cricinfo mention in the "on this day" section points out, the highlight of his career was his two magnificent unbeaten knocks to save a test against the West Indies in 1984, but really he was constantly reliable, to the degree where he could easily be termed one of the toughest batsmen both mentally and physically to ever play the game. His approach to the game without question stands him alongside guys like Steve Waugh and Geoff Boycott, and the toughest situations brought out the best in him, which is really the best test of a true champion.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social
    I played in a charity match against Border when he was at or near his peak.

Despite the inclusion of former test and state bowlers on our team, he was the star attraction.

The match was played on a relatively small ground but on an absolute green-top.

Batting first, we had the opposition 2 for nothing when Border came to the wicket.

Whilst the rest of the team struggled, he scored 117 off 52 balls (I remember those stats because of the quality of the innings) and, by my recollection, only mis-hit one delivery and did not have a slog until the ball that dismissed him.

Like some others (Steve Waugh, Boycott, etc), he could play all the shots but chose to refine his game to the extent that he only played those with the least risk. And thank god he did as he was a shining beacon in a sea of mediocrity for many years.

Australian cricket owes him far more than most.
    Just in case anyone thought i was mocking the man believe me i wasn't, i hold him in the highest regard!!!
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    As for the Jones incident - blown out of proportion by 1 forum member, why does that not surprise me.
    Because of course as we all know it's quite forgiveable to nearly kill one of the members of your team.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    As we do not sit in selection meetings how do you know he was a good selector or not when the decision is taken as a team
    We don't - we know only that he was part of a team who were collevtively very poor.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Border IMO is Australia's best ever captain. He was a great batsman and bowled the occasional good spell with the ball.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Without Border implementing his style onto the next generation of players, Australia would still be in the doldrums. It might have been over the top, but it is the willingness to do anything - even put (literally, according to some accounts of the Jones innings, ac) your life at risk for representing your country - that has made Australia the cricketing identity that it is today.

Its not hard to argue that the Tied Test + WC 87 were the turning points for the Australian side - both in India in the hardest (for Australia traditionally, as well as most foreign) conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Border IMO is Australia's best ever captain.
    Woodfull IMO.
    He changed cricket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information