• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking at 2011

Loony BoB

International Captain
Assuming a player retires upon reaching 36 years (low, I know, but I had to try to make it interesting), try to come up with some teams that you could imagine seeing in 2011 using players that have already played an international game. I just threw the NZ players from CricketWeb's site and figured out that only around twelve of them will make the cut at that time. A possible ODI team at the 2011 WC would be as follows...

Vincent
Papps
H Marshall
J Marshall
McMillan
Canning
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Sub: Tuffey

Realistically I'd expect some of the other players to keep going beyond 35, but those players would all make the cut if there was some sort of cutoff. McCullum, Butler and Franklin could even pull through to 2015 if they wanted. But yeah, just found it interesting to see how young some of the NZ squad is and how long they'll have to go... would be interesting to see a team like the Windies and what they could come up with, given they have such a young group. Same with Bangladesh - put six years of experience onto the shoulders of all those teenagers and who knows what they'll end up doing!

So, what other teams would be possible in the distant future?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Using players that have already played an international game only for Australia... Ponting will be about your cutoff age, as will Hussey and Gillespie, so I dunno if they count. Assuming they do..

Hussey
Haddin
Ponting
Watson
Clarke
Katich
Symonds
Hopes
Lee
Gillespie
Bracken

If you take out the three players who will be about 36, you'd need to bring in people like Tait, as you couldn't make a half-decent team out of players under 30 who have already played internationals for Australia.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
An England team in 6 years' time could look something like this - but there'd be a few players on the borderline age:

Marcus Trescothick (36) or Alistair Cook (26)
Andrew Strauss (33) or Bilal Shafayat (26)
Michael Vaughan (35) or Sam Northeast (this country's 15-year-old batting prodigy who'll be 21)
Ian Bell (29)
Kevin Pietersen (31)
Andrew Flintoff (33)
Paul Collingwood (35?) or Jamie Hildreth (26) or Ben Harmison (25)
Geraint Jones (34) or Steven Davies (25)
Mark Lawson (25)
Simon Jones (31) or Stuart Broad (25)
Steve Harmison (33)

There's a lot of ifs, buts and ors in that team, I know, and Ben Harmison being there is more wishful thinking than anything else - but he's an all-rounder for England U19s, so him batting no7 for England in ODIs in 6 years isn't a ridiculous idea.

Barney Rubble said:
An England team in 6 years' time could look something like this - but there'd be a few players on the borderline age:

Michael Vaughan (35) or Sam Northeast (this country's 15-year-old batting prodigy who'll be 21)
Ian Bell (29)
Kevin Pietersen (31)
Andrew Flintoff (33)
Mark Lawson (25)
Steve Harmison (33)

There's a lot of ifs, buts and ors in that team, I know, and Ben Harmison being there is more wishful thinking than anything else - but he's an all-rounder for England U19s, so him batting no7 for England in ODIs in 6 years isn't a ridiculous idea.
All in all sounds like a recipe for a first round exit.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
All in all sounds like a recipe for a first round exit.
Just out of curiosity - are you basing that on the fact that you haven't heard of any of the players who may come into the side, or on the fact that you have heard of them and don't rate them?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
Just out of curiosity - are you basing that on the fact that you haven't heard of any of the players who may come into the side, or on the fact that you have heard of them and don't rate them?
Heh, you're giving him too much credit, he bases everything on whether someone is a convict, or isn't and that's as deep as it gets.

Barney Rubble said:
Based on the fact their English.

Or qualified to play for England I should say.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:

Ian Bell (29)
Kevin Pietersen (31)
Andrew Flintoff (33)
Mark Lawson (25)
Steve Harmison (33)

Isn't the whole point of this that we use a team which has already played international cricket? If not, I'd pick a different Australian team, with players like Shaun Tait, various keepers, Phil Jaques, Marcus North and even Dan Cullen coming into contention.

Scallywag

Banned
Scaly piscine said:
Heh, you're giving him too much credit, he bases everything on whether someone is a convict, or isn't and that's as deep as it gets.
And you dont give him enough credit, he has just picked your pocket. :D :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
And you dont give him enough credit, he has just picked your pocket. :D :D
I knew those skills were still compulsory for an Australian.

Incidentally, I got short-changed by the barman last night. Yes, that's right - Aussie.

Scallywag

Banned
luckyeddie said:
I knew those skills were still compulsory for an Australian.

Incidentally, I got short-changed by the barman last night. Yes, that's right - Aussie.
He would have spat in your drink aswell knowing Aussie barmen. :D .

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Loony BoB said:
Assuming a player retires upon reaching 36 years (low, I know, but I had to try to make it interesting), try to come up with some teams that you could imagine seeing in 2011 using players that have already played an international game. I just threw the NZ players from CricketWeb's site and figured out that only around twelve of them will make the cut at that time. A possible ODI team at the 2011 WC would be as follows...

Vincent
Papps
H Marshall
J Marshall
McMillan
Canning
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Sub: Tuffey
Realistically I would be hoping that by 2011 mcCullum would be batting higher than 8. Im pretty sure that he will feature a few positions higher than that in the next couple of years, well thats what I have been hearing. Hes to good to be stuck down at 8.