• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gillespie or Kasprowicz

Who should play in the second test??

• Gillespie

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Kasprowicz

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • MacGill as second spinner

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Josh

International Regular
Given his recent form slump, should Jason Gillespie make way for Michael Kasprowicz for the second test??

Personally, I am glad Brett Lee is in the team and he should stay there but based on recent form I would like to see Kasprowicz get a chance to prove himself. I also think he would be more useful on English wickets with his insane ability to get the ball to seam so much.

What are your thoughts??

Josh

International Regular
Josh said:
Given his recent form slump, should Jason Gillespie make way for Michael Kasprowicz for the second test??

Personally, I am glad Brett Lee is in the team and he should stay there but based on recent form I would like to see Kasprowicz get a chance to prove himself. I also think he would be more useful on English wickets with his insane ability to get the ball to seam so much.

What are your thoughts??
Of course, I am compring Kasper to Gillespie there not Lee as I think I may have even confused myself with that post...

Kevin_Pietersen

Cricket Spectator
If I was an Australian selector, I would choose Gillespie because I do have faith in him.Who knows...he might be able to find his form on that Edgbaston wicket and take cruicial wickets, he bowled a spell at Lords where I thought he was finding a bit of form.He was pitching the ball outside off-stump with genuine pace,he is starting to look good so personally, I would give him another chance.

Steulen

International Regular
I think the same applies for Gillespie as for Jones, Giles, Bell and Vaughan. Questions have been raised, give them a chance to answer them. So Gillespie to play at Edgebaston. If he goes wicketless again...in comes Kasper.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would like Australia to retain Gillespie. I am not going to write him off. I reckon he can be a major factor in the series in the coming matches.

irfan

State Captain
play kaspa, gillespie is looking out of sorts and australia need him at his menacing best. He has had numerous chances in the one-dayers to prove himself but was continually bashed around by eng top-order who targetted him, as they see him as a liability in australia's attack. kaspa is betta with old ball, can seam it around (ideal for english conditions) and betta bowlin to lefties (tresco,strauss etc)

Scallywag

Banned
Rest McGrath, Warne and Lee in the tour game and go with Gillespie, Magill Kasp and Tait.

After that game would be the time to decide who pays in the 2nd test.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie didn't deserve to be dropped based on the Lords test, he barely bowled at all. If Australia get up against it with the ball at Edgbaston and he doesn't deliver, then Kasprowicz should come in. He deserve a proper chance to claim his place though, and 14 overs in two innings isn't that.

shankar

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Gillespie didn't deserve to be dropped based on the Lords test, he barely bowled at all. If Australia get up against it with the ball at Edgbaston and he doesn't deliver, then Kasprowicz should come in. He deserve a proper chance to claim his place though, and 14 overs in two innings isn't that.
He got only 14 overs because he was unpenetrative.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shankar said:
He got only 14 overs because he was unpenetrative.
He also wasn't needed, which is the point. If England manage to bat for a day at least in the next test, he'll be needed a lot more, which is where we will see how he's going. If he fails there, you might be looking at a Kasper appearance down the line.

I hope Shaun Tait gets a go in the tour match.

Steulen

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
He also wasn't needed, which is the point. If England manage to bat for a day at least in the next test, he'll be needed a lot more, which is where we will see how he's going. If he fails there, you might be looking at a Kasper appearance down the line.

I hope Shaun Tait gets a go in the tour match.
He probably will, with Lee and McGrath very likely to be rested.

shaka

International Regular
MacGill needs a test match, I voted for him, he is probably in better form than both quicks in this poll.

Macgill...No doubt. Kaspa and Gillespie have had enough chances and havn't done anything.

Australia should jump all over Englands glaring weakness against this type of bowling, especially now they are so weary of it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shane Warne said:
Macgill...No doubt. Kaspa and Gillespie have had enough chances and havn't done anything.

Australia should jump all over Englands glaring weakness against this type of bowling, especially now they are so weary of it.
That would leave Damien Martyn as your first change seamer! I'd be happy with that!! :p

If one were to pick on form it's a complete no-brainer, Kaspa is clearly the man. However, Dizzy's overall test record has earned him the indulgence of the selectors, as clearly has Matt Hayden's too. I think they've realised Gillespie needs bowling to find his rhythm &, as the more observant among you may've noticed, Australia actually won the first test.

Clearly tho there must be a limit to even the most indulgent of selectors & I personally think Dizzy's decline in form is more than a blip. He hardly beat the bat at Lord's (shameful on the pitch he had), much less took an edge &, a quick look at cricinfo shows his 14 wickets since the start of the Pakistan series have cost almost 45 each. He'll probably be retained for the 2nd test, but a hatful for Kaspa may give the selctors pause for thought.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shane Warne said:
No it doesn't. A first change seamer won't be needed.
Well as an England fan I'd be extremely happy for Australia to go into a match in English conditions with only two front-line seamers.

I could make a smart-ar$e remark about playing Dizzy means they already did so in the first test, but that would be kicking a bloke when he's down.... ;)

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I could make a smart-ar$e remark about playing Dizzy means they already did so in the first test, but that would be kicking a bloke when he's down.... ;)
ATM i'd say pick kaspa first, haurtiz 2nd and gillespie 3rd :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i'd give Dizzy one more chance he is going through a bad run for sure, all good players too & i think the Australian selectors realise that & will give a another go in Birmingham.

But if Kasper plays againts Worcetershire & takes wickets or even Tait that will give the selectors something to think about.But has i said before MaCgill chances of playing in this series is very likely....