• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question about "bat-breaker" balls

adharcric

International Coach
I've heard of certain cricket balls being labelled as "bat-breaker" balls and thus being avoided for practice or match purposes. I know these are generally the shiny, rock-hard balls, but I'm not sure which brand of balls has good quality while not being of the "bat-breaker" type. Some SG balls I've used supposedly are also "bat-breaker" balls, as are some Kookaburras. Any suggestions?

adharcric

International Coach
Yes, I know that. But I'm asking more in terms of the brand, because I thought SG balls were supposed to be good and it turns out many SG balls that I have are "bat-breakers".

King_Ponting

International Regular
Red king is quality as well. Anything with the thompson thing on the other side in aus is a good ball generally

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
King_Ponting said:
Red king is quality as well. Anything with the thompson thing on the other side in aus is a good ball generally
Red king is crap. Ive had kidney stones that are better to bat with.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Aren't Red King's usually two-piece? Anyways, I think most balls are OK, but all brands bring out different quality balls. If you buy the cheapest, then it is likely that they are going to be "bat-breakers", but if you get the more expensive one's, they'll be better.

A few guys that I know who have gone to England think that they balls over there are like bowling rocks down the pitch, though.

benchmark00

vic_orthdox said:
Aren't Red King's usually two-piece? Anyways, I think most balls are OK, but all brands bring out different quality balls. If you buy the cheapest, then it is likely that they are going to be "bat-breakers", but if you get the more expensive one's, they'll be better.

A few guys that I know who have gone to England think that they balls over there are like bowling rocks down the pitch, though.
Indeed, two-piece = ridiculous swing.

May as well duct tape one half of a tennis ball and have a net sesh.

King_Ponting

International Regular
benchmark00 said:
Indeed, two-piece = ridiculous swing.

May as well duct tape one half of a tennis ball and have a net sesh.
Good for bowlers, and good for batsman to work on their footwork to swing bowling

benchmark00

King_Ponting said:
Good for bowlers, and good for batsman to work on their footwork to swing bowling
Theyre dodgy as a dogs nut, so unrealistic. And from my experience they lose shape pretty early. I guess theyre ok cause theyre pretty cheap, but theres far better ways for a batsman to work out their footwork.

Hunts cricket balls, dont buy them also, sooooo crap.

kenny44

Cricket Spectator
King_Ponting said:
rule of thumb, any ball cheaper than $20 aus is dodgey anything above is good or will do the job
Spot on.

Arn't the cheaper balls usually a little smaller aswell?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
If used occassionally, yes. But you sure as hell don't want to use them too regularly - end up letting yourself get sloppy with seam position, which you can't afford with a 4 piece, because two piece balls swing so much easier, creates unrealistic practice conditions, and if your playing two day cricket on good pitches, why bother practicing swinging the ball all training when you'll only bowl about 8 overs max out of 20 with a swinging ball.

That's a pet hate of mine with fast bowlers in the nets, take a new ball at the start of training and use it the whole time - and then wonder why they get spanked when they have to bowl with an old ball in a match.

King_Ponting

International Regular
vic_orthdox said:
If used occassionally, yes. But you sure as hell don't want to use them too regularly - end up letting yourself get sloppy with seam position, which you can't afford with a 4 piece, because two piece balls swing so much easier, creates unrealistic practice conditions, and if your playing two day cricket on good pitches, why bother practicing swinging the ball all training when you'll only bowl about 8 overs max out of 20 with a swinging ball.

That's a pet hate of mine with fast bowlers in the nets, take a new ball at the start of training and use it the whole time - and then wonder why they get spanked when they have to bowl with an old ball in a match.

For confidence i meant. If a bowlers low on confidence and he wants to boost that. ie say hes a swing bowler and in recent times he cant swing it with a 4 piecer, the use of a 2 piecer could allow him to regain some of that lost swing and also boost the bowlers confidence