Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did England deserve the title of second best in the world.

Banned

Did England deserve the title of second best in the world.

Before the series and now I hear this term being banded about as if it's so clear cut but what about India?

They are the only team who have competed well against Australia home and also away over the last few years, whilst England have been beating the likes of Bangladesh, a poor NZ team at home, West Indies at home.

England were lucky not to come away from Sri Lanka with a 3-0 series loss and narrowly beat S.A.

India are a bit hit and miss, but at their best they are better. I think India would beat England at home more convincingly than England would beat India at home.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    England, definitely the best side. India in Australia was only close because Australia were missing two pretty major cogs in the machine (Warne and McGrath). And in India, the fact that Australia won at all means the series wasn't as close as 2-1 suggests.

England have beaten all before this series. I definitely think they deserve their number 2 status.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    England are definantely the second best test team in the world. There are many instances in this game were england was in a winning position only to throw it away. That is what separates second from first

The big gap between the Australians and the next best team shows how irrelevant the second-best position is.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

based on performaces last year they definately deserved to be, India did well in Australia last year because they were missing their 2 legenadary bowlers, while even though the score was 2-1 Australia totally outclassed them their.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    England ARE 2nd best in the world..no doubt in my mind..despite the fact England could lose this game pretty heavily, it has been a tight contest, with the Aussies doing the right things at just the right times
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

At a point of time a few teams - England, India, New Zealand, South Africa could be termed battling for no 2 position. Since the test series victory in Pakistan, the Indian team has dipped performance wise in tests. While some may argue India did not play that badly after that, the results have been mediocre.

South Africa really dipped but looks like have some sort of resurrection(hopefully)

New Zealand due to poor performances have disappointed a lot. Destroyed in a session to lose a series in home to Pakistan, injury ridden and poorly performing in England and could not compete for no 2.

England has been only team of the lot who have kept on winning.

They are indeed the no 2 right now.

Regarding losing to Australia - a lot of people do not realise how strong the current Australian team is. For me they are stronger than the Australian team under Steve Waugh and the strongest test team I have seen. England will fight in the series and still is unlikely to win even a test.

Pakistan in Australia some time back gave the Aussies a fight in 2 sessions of the 3 each day. Yet lost the series 3-0.

Pinball Champion!
    England are definitely second best in the world.. But that means absolutely diddly squat when you play against Australia.. Remember what happened to South Africa in the 1990's?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

has my man Mark Nicholas said ``England may be second best in the world, but the gap between them and Australia is so huge it makes you sit & admire how great those aussies are``.

Banned
    I rate Mark Nicholas highly as a journalist/ pundit etc.

He has the most knowledge.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yep, England clear number 2 for mine. South Africa and India fight it out for third and fourth, then Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. In that order.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Regular twctopcat's Avatar
    Catches win matches. If we'd have caught them, we most probably would have won.
    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi (Cricket Player)

'Last one on drugs is a queer,' yells portillo..
    Hope is a good thing, maybe even the best of things. And no good thing ever dies......
    Self appointed president of the KPPAS

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by twctopcat
    Catches win matches. If we'd have caught them, we most probably would have won.
    It could've been a lot closer, but 'most probably would have won' seems a bit optimistic given the 239-run margin...

PY
    You can lop 70 straight off that from Pietersen's little blooper. I know it doesn't work like that but 6 straight forward drops in 3 days of cricket is going to have a massive effect on morale as well as the scoreboard.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PY
    You can lop 70 straight off that from Pietersen's little blooper. I know it doesn't work like that but 6 straight forward drops in 3 days of cricket is going to have a massive effect on morale as well as the scoreboard.
    It's worth remembering that three of those drops came after the game was already gone, and Pietersen's first two weren't that costly, as Ponting got out soon after and the other was a tail-ender who didn't make many. I don't think the drops were definitive, even though they would have been morale-sapping.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information