Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "The almighty Flintoff" and "the below test standard Lee"

"The almighty Flintoff" and "the below test standard Lee"

It seems kind of ironic that after all the hype about the mighty "Flintoff" in the lead up to the ashes and the incredible talking down of Brett lee and his ability at test level that it is Lee that comes out of this First test with a good amount of credit as opposed to Flintoff whose performance was below par.

Admittedly its only the first test, but apart from out foxing Gilchrist, Flintoffs bowling in the conditions was disappointing. He went for around 5 an over in the 2nd innings. Not to mention his total of 3 runs in 2 innings with the bat.

I know its only early days in the series, but I can't imagine Flintoff's confidence is sky high, whereas I think Lee will only get more confidence.

Haven't heard much from the likes of Marc and TEC on Flintoff and Lee's performance so far, I'm interested to read their reactions

Whoops....almost forgot to mention the dolly Flintoff put down at slip and Lee's great caught and bowled.

Oh the irony !!!

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Flintoff will be back im sure, particularly with the ball - hes a better bowler than that.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Flintoff is a great player as far as I'm concerned. He's England's best and most consistent bowler, and he's got a good technique against pace bowling with the bat and is quite capable of being a 40 average player if he can learn to play spin a bit and stop throwing his wicket away.

Lee is highly underrated by many people, and said people refuse to acknowledge the way he has changed as a player in the last 18 months. Two years ago, Lee had severe problems which stopped him from being effective at test level. He wasn't as shocking as some people made out, but he wasn't worth his place over other bowlers Australia have. He's certainly corrected some of those problems, particularly his ability to be consistently accurate and bowl lengthy spells without becoming ragged, but there are still a few questions to answer. I'm confident he's improved all-round enough to be a good test bowler, but only time will tell. Certainly an excellent start to his comeback... McGrath, Lee, Harmison and Warne have been all class with the ball all test.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    I believe he is still englands best player

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    It seems kind of ironic that after all the hype....blah blah slaver
    Be very, very careful with the predictions and the writing off.

After all, the whole of Australia (and Richard) wrote Steve Wayward-Harmison off after a single over in Australia last time, although in fairness the whole of Australia have actually watched him bowl a ball or two since and a couple of you have changed your mind.

I've always advocated that a test side needs one out-and-out speedster, although over the last few years Australia have had two all-time greats at the same time and some more than adequate 'stock' bowlers so they have never really been exposed in that department. For me, Lee would have been the third bowler on the sheet every time because I just LOVE pacemen.

Flintoff has been very out of sorts so far, and will have to get his act together if England are to bounce back.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Ive always thought that he is a little overrated with the bat... but with the ball he has been consistently bowling tight and wicket taking spells for England over the last 18 months or so. He will be back! Just a shame that he didnt bowl better on a pitch that would have offered him something.

Lee is class... and is bowling a lot more accurately these days. He has never been below test standard (as bowling these days... especially outside this series seems to be on a decline) just that he wasnt good enough for a very strong Aus side.

How many runs did Flintoff give away to no-balls?

That is one thing that will need fixing.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig

Yes indeed. He was way too indisciplined in that regard, and I'm surprised fewer England fans have brought it up, given the bashing Lee usually gets over it. Even when he wasn't bowling no balls, he was really pushing it a lot of the time. Given that his run up isn't as rapid as someone like Lee or Akthar, there's really no excuse for it, and one day he's going to take a vital wicket with one and get called.

to be honest i wouldnt say there is anything wrong with flintoffs performace, he has bowled well, and his two dismissals were good balls, warnes was well disguised, and mcgraths was well placed and stayed low. I would say there are much greater concerns to be had over the likes of bell and even vaughn at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Yes indeed. He was way too indisciplined in that regard, and I'm surprised fewer England fans have brought it up, given the bashing Lee usually gets over it. Even when he wasn't bowling no balls, he was really pushing it a lot of the time. Given that his run up isn't as rapid as someone like Lee or Akthar, there's really no excuse for it, and one day he's going to take a vital wicket with one and get called.
    Well 14 no-balls in a match by him isn't good enough to be frank (or by any bowler to be fair).

That's 14 more runs England have to chase off him alone and a total of 19 from England bowlers in this match - 19 more runs need to be scored and that is not including runs scored off them either.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    to be honest i wouldnt say there is anything wrong with flintoffs performace, he has bowled well, and his two dismissals were good balls, warnes was well disguised, and mcgraths was well placed and stayed low. I would say there are much greater concerns to be had over the likes of bell and even vaughn at the moment.
    Well his econ wasn't the best either - 4.54 in the 1st innings and 4.55 in the second when you consider his role is too keep it tight and allow people like Harmison to attack at the other end. And nor is he a strike bowler to justify going for a few in the hope of getting a wicket or two in his spells of bowling.

I think he has bowled well in patches, but surely he can bowl a lot better and I'm sure he has and will.

Its laughable regarding the comments on Lee on the forum by so many people. Do not rule out a new justification for what they said, meant or did not say

well i always felt that Freddie would have stuggled with the bat in this series while even though his bowling was on the expensive side in the second innings he is still englands best all-round bowler.

Lee on the other hand before this series was consistently written (on this forum for sure) of about his ability to well in test matches, which was justifiable 2 years ago but even when he came back & bowled so superbly in the VB series & in NZ clearly showing improvements in every aspect of his game he was still written off. I was always defending him & few backed me u such as FaaipDeOaid (sean).But after his good bowling performance at lord's they should be convinced now.

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    well i always felt that Freddie would have stuggled with the bat in this series while even though his bowling was on the expensive side in the second innings he is still englands best all-round bowler.

Lee on the other hand before this series was consistently written (on this forum for sure) of about his ability to well in test matches, which was justifiable 2 years ago but even when he came back & bowled so superbly in the VB series & in NZ clearly showing improvements in every aspect of his game he was still written off. I was always defending him & few backed me u such as FaaipDeOaid (sean).But after his good bowling performance at lord's they should be convinced now.
    As was i, haent really said a bad word about the bloke.
    im glad he has repayed my confidence in him

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig

And how many wickets does he take with them?

I remember three so far in his career, one in this match.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information