• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lords Pitch

Slow Love™

International Captain
I don't think there's a parity between the Mumbai pitch and this one, no.

This isn't the greatest pitch I've seen, and it deserves some degree of criticism for the uneven bounce. But, after yesterday's hijinks, ten wickets fell for around 340 on the second day. In addition to this, in both teams' innings, batting has frequently looked comfortable when the most incisive bowlers (ie, Harmison and McGrath) have not been bowling.

Mumbai was a lot worse - firstly because as the pitch deteriorated very rapidly, it became a struggle for most batsmen to survive from ball to ball; and a part-timer like Michael Clarke looked like a world-beater - against India, the best players of spin in the world. Along with this, both Dravid AND Ponting criticized the pitch at Mumbai as extremely poor, while in this game, both teams seem to have been of the opinion that this was not a 17-wicket-day pitch, and that their batsmen didn't play well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It doesn't quite look a 17 in a day pitch, but that said if a county prepared a pitch that gave up 17 we'd be looking at a report & a deduction of points, regardless of the quality of the bowling.

PY

International Coach
Especially, if Eddie is to be believed, that said county team is Derbyshire.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Is anyone gonna slam this Lord's pitch ?
I remember how when oh-so-many wickets fell in Mumbai not too long ago, every tom,**** and harry were condemning the pitch.........this pitch has seen 17 wickets fall on day1 with uneven bounce and the ball keeping low pretty frequently.......So, are we gonna have some consistency and slam the Lords' pitch too ?
Pretty frequently?

I only remember 3 or 4 balls keeping low(ish)

Most of those 17 wickets came from poor batting (Australia) or superb bowling (McGrath)

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Giles did very well too get out twice in the same ball. I wasnt sure exactly what happened as i just saw the stumps rather disturbed but i hear he hit his wicket and got caught? quite an achievment

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
King_Ponting said:
A few english wickets were a result of poor batting also. Like the two lee got at the end.....
I was talking more about the one's expected to be batting properly.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
A few english wickets were a result of poor batting also. Like the two lee got at the end.....
Not fair on Jones (or Lee) imo. Jones pulled out of a hook shot because there was a man out of there for the catch (and if he had hooked and got out, people would have called it a poor shot), and just got caught by an extremely fast and nasty bouncer that came back in at him off the pitch. It might have been possible to avoid getting out to it, but it was certainly more a good ball than poor batting. Giles though, obviously can't handle short bowling at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not fair on Jones (or Lee) imo. Jones pulled out of a hook shot because there was a man out of there for the catch (and if he had hooked and got out, people would have called it a poor shot), and just got caught by an extremely fast and nasty bouncer that came back in at him off the pitch. It might have been possible to avoid getting out to it, but it was certainly more a good ball than poor batting. Giles though, obviously can't handle short bowling at all.
Not strictly true, but he obviously struggles when it's delivered at Lee's pace. Against fast/med bowlers he's ok on the hook & pull.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Not strictly true, but he obviously struggles when it's delivered at Lee's pace. Against fast/med bowlers he's ok on the hook & pull.
Well, I haven't seen him much against short pitched bowling, but apparently Ntini worked him out with it, and he certainly looked quite hopeless against Lee. I guess we'll see if he gets one from McGrath or Gillespie.

PY

International Coach
He had a lot of problems with his back when Ntini was roughing him up so he couldn't duck out of the way of some of them. I have a feeling it left mental scars on him though as well him not seemingly being able to duck anything anymore.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Well you dont really expect anyone who bats after 7 to be comfortable with extremly quick short pitched bowling aimed at the body. I didn't see the pulverising he got from Steyn and Ntini in SA but i wasnt impressed with him even offering a bat to that last delivery. Bloody last ball of the day , dont move your bat of the floor. Mind you Shane Warne made the same blunder. Oh well "what goes around comes around". I am looking forward to a refreshed Harmy and Freddie going at the Aussie bowlers tomorow morning

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Pretty frequently?

I only remember 3 or 4 balls keeping low(ish)

Most of those 17 wickets came from poor batting (Australia) or superb bowling (McGrath)

You remember wrong or you wernt following the game.......balls were keeping low quiete frequently.......atleast 10 of mcGrath's balls kept low during his spell.

And its convinient when you guys produce a bad pitch that its good bowling and poor batting...i suppose we can say then that in Mumbai it was good bowling and **** poor batting too, eh ?
8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I haven't seen any of the Mumbai, however I have seen a lot of this game, and was on record as saying that England didn't bowl well but the batsmen in the main got themselves out, and that was before McGrath's universally agreed superb spell (heck, even Richard said it was)

Interesting use of words there "you guys" - just continues to confimr people's suspicions of you.

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
aussie said:
not really becuase it has played pretty well today, has Mark Nicholas said ``it sdefiantely not a 17 wicket pitch but all the emotions & build up of the Ashes came out in a spectacular way yesterday``

Gee i love the way Nicholas analyses stuff.. :D

Mumbai on the other hand was definately a horrible surface no question about it
I cant stand him

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
I for one am sick of the flat tracks all over the world where the batsmen have no troubles at all. About time a pitch suited the bowlers!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Besides the ones that actually took wickets, I can't really remember that many that stayed dangerously low. I think most people have been pretty accurate thus far - poor batting from Aus, good bowling by McGrath, and in both instances this was further exacerbated by the state of the pitch.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
You remember wrong or you wernt following the game.......balls were keeping low quiete frequently.......atleast 10 of mcGrath's balls kept low during his spell.

And its convinient when you guys produce a bad pitch that its good bowling and poor batting...i suppose we can say then that in Mumbai it was good bowling and **** poor batting too, eh ?
8-)
You did not even watch the match. Sounds like you dont really know what you are talking about.

Author: Cavalier_Carver
Date: 22-07-05 17:05

Dont know what to make of it but according to the bowlers, the pitch wasnt a 17wicket on 1st day kinda pitch......
All the people i've talked to who've been watching the game live said that it was brilliant bowling from Harmison and McGrath .