• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glen Mcgrath - Greatest Fast Bowler of all Time ??

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What a way to reach 500 mark !! I used to rate Wasim Akram a better bowler, but I dont think Wasim was this good at this age, this consistent against the top order. His performance against the best batsmen of this era is remarkable. He has bowled well on every surface, against every opposition, at home, away, in Tests in ODIs.

He has continued to take wickets at 21 a piece at a time when Pitches are becoming flatter and flatter every day.

He is just amazing. To me, he is the greatest bowler of all time, he is better than anyone I have watched.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well has you said he is the greatest bowler i have seen along with ambrose since i started watching cricket form the 97 ashes, but not the best of all-time looking back i would rate Lillee & Marshall for sure ahead of him, but the rest are debatable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
About the best spell of bowling I've ever watched today, but I think you'll find he's actually just a lucky bowler.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
About the best spell of bowling I've ever watched today, but I think you'll find he's actually just a lucky bowler.
Nah. He only took 5/21. Lucky bowlers take 7/12 :p ;) :ph34r:

cbuts

International Debutant
mate he aint the best of all time, but lucky? ur crazy. u dont take over 500 wickets being lucky. to me hadlee will always be the best

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
mate he aint the best of all time, but lucky? ur crazy. u dont take over 500 wickets being lucky
Inside joke. Relax. :)

I can never narrow it down to 'the one' but Glenn McGrath deserves to be rated alongside Lillee, Hadlee, etc.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
oh pigeon is lucky, boring marc :sleep:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Inside joke. Relax. :)

I can never narrow it down to 'the one' but Glenn McGrath deserves to be rated alongside Lillee, Hadlee, etc.
thats for sure...

gio

U19 Cricketer
hate him with a passion. the sooner he retires the better. It's his gob that annoys me. But he is f*£@ing amazing bowler. The way he gets so close to the stumps and lands on the same spot every time, put together with bounce, seam and swing.... He makes it look so easy. Little c*%t

Scallywag

Banned
gio said:
hate him with a passion. the sooner he retires the better. It's his gob that annoys me. But he is f*£@ing amazing bowler. The way he gets so close to the stumps and lands on the same spot every time, put together with bounce, seam and swing.... He makes it look so easy. Little c*%t
And your gob is better. :D

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
Its between McGrath, Marshall and Hadlee for the best pace bowler ever.
I imagine Lillee, Trueman, Larwood, Lindwall, Wes Hall, Jack Gregory and Richardson don't rate on your 'Can't be as good as the players today' theory?

But what about Ambrose?

C_C

International Captain
archie mac said:
I imagine Lillee, Trueman, Larwood, Lindwall, Wes Hall, Jack Gregory and Richardson don't rate on your 'Can't be as good as the players today' theory?

But what about Ambrose?

Actually Ambrose should be in that list too....but not Hall/Gregory/Larwood.... they were nowhere as good and i wouldnt consider Larwood to be any better than Brett Lee.

Trueman, Lindwall and Lillee are in my top 15 pacers ever but they simply havnt done enough or were as good records-wise to be in the same echelon as the names i've mentioned.

Hall ? Well most people in the caribbean who saw Hall a lot would tell you that while he was very very good, he wasnt as good as the more illustrious WI bowlers from the 70s through to the 90s.

And 'cant be as good as players in recent time' isnt a theory...its a fact...its a fact in every single human endavour.... things improve....

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
Actually Ambrose should be in that list too....but not Hall/Gregory/Larwood.... they were nowhere as good and i wouldnt consider Larwood to be any better than Brett Lee.

Trueman, Lindwall and Lillee are in my top 15 pacers ever but they simply havnt done enough or were as good records-wise to be in the same echelon as the names i've mentioned.

Hall ? Well most people in the caribbean who saw Hall a lot would tell you that while he was very very good, he wasnt as good as the more illustrious WI bowlers from the 70s through to the 90s.

And 'cant be as good as players in recent time' isnt a theory...its a fact...its a fact in every single human endavour.... things improve....
Does it surprise you that Sir Richard ranks Lillee the greatest fast bowler in history?

What about the human endeavour of literature? Cardus is still the greatest Cricket writer, Willie S. is still regarded as the greatest playwright. Poets? Where are all the great composers of today? Sculptors?

C_C

International Captain
archie mac said:
Does it surprise you that Sir Richard ranks Lillee the greatest fast bowler in history?

What about the human endeavour of literature? Cardus is still the greatest Cricket writer, Willie S. is still regarded as the greatest playwright. Poets? Where are all the great composers of today? Sculptors?

I am not talking opinion(s). I am talking facts.......factually, Hadlee accomplished a lot more than Lillee did.......and while Cardus is on reputation the greatest cricket writer, there are several writers today who's understanding of cricket and literal mastery of English is superior.
Same goes with Authors/poets/playwrights........Reputation-wise, they are considered the best...but several authors exist today who have a considerably better mastery of the english language, story-plan and layout than Shakespeare.

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
I am not talking opinion(s). I am talking facts.......factually, Hadlee accomplished a lot more than Lillee did.......and while Cardus is on reputation the greatest cricket writer, there are several writers today who's understanding of cricket and literal mastery of English is superior.
Same goes with Authors/poets/playwrights........Reputation-wise, they are considered the best...but several authors exist today who have a considerably better mastery of the english language, story-plan and layout than Shakespeare.
I have read close to 500 books on Cricket, and I am yet to read anyone close to Cardus.
As for Shakespeare I am just glad this is not a literary site you would now be under seige
:p

shaka

International Regular
Once McGrath got to 500, he started to rack up his wicket tally really quickly, and nice shoes btw. :D His constant nagging at the same line has meant wickets for him. His recent ability to bring the ball back into the wicket has meant he is getting a lot more lbw decisions.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think him and Ambrose are the best I have seen amongst fast bowlers... Having those two open the bowling, now THAT would be a nightmare for players.

C_C

International Captain
archie mac said:
I have read close to 500 books on Cricket, and I am yet to read anyone close to Cardus.
As for Shakespeare I am just glad this is not a literary site you would now be under seige
:p
:p :p

Well i've read several....i read cardus and Derek Birley ( i know i mention dat book a lot- but no, i am not derek birley- i just like dat book a lot) is of superior worksmanship.
And yeah, glad its not a literary site.......but i think Tolstoy was much superior to Shakespeare in storytelling craftsmanship.... i found Shakespeare a bit too dawdling and 'drama queen' stuff.