• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe & Zimbabwe/New Zealand/India ODI Tri-Series

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
Yeah, but he shouldn't be batting at six in the order. I would say fourth, but Fleming, for my mind, bats best there, with Astle at fifth. So where do you put Vincent? At six, where I'd rather have an all round player like Oram.

Vincent is great at 4, though...Astle at 5th.

Perhaps something like this:

1. Cumming
2. J Marshall
3. H Marshall
4. Vincent
5. Fleming
6. Astle
7. Oram
8. McCullum
9. Vettori
10. Franklin
11. Bond

Or do you put Oram in at six, leave out Vincent and shuffle them upwards, brinhing in another quick bowler? Then there's also Styris.

I guess it's a matter of who's in domestic form vs who's not and how they fare in some tour matches.

Vincent averages 14 at 6th, while 59 at 4th..
How deep is that batting line-up? Even Bondy has a first-class hundred.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
NZTailender said:
Yeah, but he shouldn't be batting at six in the order. I would say fourth, but Fleming, for my mind, bats best there, with Astle at fifth. So where do you put Vincent? At six, where I'd rather have an all round player like Oram.

Vincent is great at 4, though...Astle at 5th.

Perhaps something like this:

1. Cumming
2. J Marshall
3. H Marshall
4. Vincent
5. Fleming
6. Astle
7. Oram
8. McCullum
9. Vettori
10. Franklin
11. Bond

Or do you put Oram in at six, leave out Vincent and shuffle them upwards, brinhing in another quick bowler? Then there's also Styris.

I guess it's a matter of who's in domestic form vs who's not and how they fare in some tour matches.

Vincent averages 14 at 6th, while 59 at 4th..
I think you could possibly leave vincent out and shuffle them upwards and stick in another bowler possibly mills so that if oram is up to bowling too many overs we have enough cover. that way oram can get match practice and overs under his belt to be ready for the one day series.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
sportychic33 said:
I think you could possibly leave vincent out and shuffle them upwards and stick in another bowler possibly mills so that if oram is up to bowling too many overs we have enough cover. that way oram can get match practice and overs under his belt to be ready for the one day series.
Perhaps a better way is to have 1 team for each match. One with 4 bowlers (Bond, Franklin, Oram, Mills/Martin/Butler/misc) + Astle then for the next match leave out a bowler for Vincent to come in, in or the other way around. I think the top three really need to be given a good run. Especially the opening pair. H Marshall I think will be a stalwart No. 3. for years to come.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Macka said:
They already do to an extent; Vincent scored a double-century in the last Test New Zealand played. He has to play. Surely. Is Boycott the only person to be dropped after scoing a double-century? Could be wrong about that, but Vincent will start.
I wasn't aware of that - so it makes it a very hard call to make then!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
my best Kiwi side

C.Cumming
S.Fleming
H.Marshall
S.Styris
N.Astle
L.Vincent/or another seamer in C.Martin or D.Tuffey
J.Oram
B.McCullum
D.Vettori
J.Franklyn
S.Bond

Langeveldt

Soutie
cricket player said:
It might not,but the point I am trying to make here is,

Dont take a team that easy when you have already faced a defeat from!
Total idiot.. So I take it Australia will be quaking about Bangladesh for the next ten years...

Lets hope Zimbo can compete nicely, at least they have some talent in their lineup but it will probably be one way traffic..

sportychic33

State 12th Man
The Press said:
Sky Television will provide live coverage of New Zealand's test and one-day internationals in Zimbabwe, Sky director of communications Tony O'Brien said.
yay good news, more cricket watching for me with the ashes covered as well.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hmmm..okay. This would be my first choice XI

1st XI
1. C Cumming
2. J Marshall
3. H Marshall
4. S Fleming (c)
5. L Vincent
6. N Astle
7. B McCullum (wk)
8. D Vettori
9. J Franklin
10. S Bond
11. C Martin

For tour matches or second test (if the first is won) this alternative line up...
1. C Cumming
2. B McCullum (wk)
3. H Marshall
4. S Fleming (c)
5. S Styris
6. N Astle
7. J Oram
8. D Vettori
9. J Franklin
10. S Bond
11. C Martin

Wacky. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Over here there's talk that the NZ PM is trying to stop the tour now?

Anything in this story?
She has commented a few times that she personally "wouldn't be seen dead in Zimbabwe".

But that is simply fabrication, the has been talk of some wacky legislation being passed to deny them entry, but i assure you the tour will go ahead. I assume you are talking about Zimbabwe touring here later year, as our boys are already on the plane.

Their tour of New Zealand is still up in the air i'm afraid. If they were prevented from touring later in the year, it would ruin the whole summer of cricket.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:

Anything in this story?
"Talk" is the operative word there.

Of course they'll never actually do anything.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
i think they should play in the first test

1-cumming
2-j.marshall
3-h,marshall
4-Flem
5-astle
6-vincent
7-bazz(wk)
8-danny v
9-franklin
10-bondy
11- c,martin

if there is no disasters and they win they can put styris and oram in the middle order, how 2 get them in is interesting, you could rest any 2 of my 1-7, possably rest mccullum and let vincent keep, bond needs 2 play as mush as he can

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:

Anything in this story?
Parliament pretty much unanimously passed a motion disapproving of the tour (2 parties disagreed, ACT and the Maori Party), but since NZC is contractually obliged to go that's not going to achieve much. The government could easily have stopped the tour by either paying the fine for not touring or passing legislation preventing the tour that would have avoided the fine. So the motion they passed today was really pretty useless.

Steulen

International Regular
Some interesting line-ups posted here. What's Oram done to not be an automatic inclusion? I haven't been following NZ cricket too closely lately, but was under the impression he was the current sliced bread player, if you catch my drift.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's had injury problems and hasn't bowled since the tour of Australia in December. If he's able to bowl at 100% fitness then he should certainly be included, but he has yet to prove that he is able to manage that.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
J Marshall
B McCullum (wk)
H Marshall
S Fleming (c)
N Astle
S Styris
L Vincent
J Oram
D Vettori
J Franklin or C Martin
S Bond

Or

J Marshall
B McCullum (wk)
H Marshall
S Fleming (c)
N Astle
L Vincent
J Oram
D Vettori
J Franklin
S Bond
C Martin

Cummings is old we want an opener that can play for more then 2 seasons :D

And I think Styris/Oram/Vincent all have to play. If one fails drop him for a opener and then drop McCullum down the order.

Last edited: