• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top 5 current batsmen to bat 2 days to save a test??

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
King_Ponting said:
what batsman have actually done that feat
Probably a few .....

Martin Crowe's 299 spring to mind immediately .......I'm sure there are many other instances.

Craig

World Traveller
I don't know about Strauss to be honest to be able to bat that long to save a Test as it requires such determination and patience. Could he bat that long? Yes he probably could if it were say a first innings of a Test match or trying to win but to save a Test is a different kettle of fish.

Jacques Kallis and Brian Lara would be my tips as well as Chanderpaul who has shown he can bat for a long time.

C_C

International Captain
Dravid
Kallis
Atapattu ( If he survices the opening hours)
Chanderpaul

Thats it. The rest arnt really good at saving matches/dont play innings in the nature that requires saving matches (ie, they arnt that good playing defensively).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
I don't know about Strauss to be honest to be able to bat that long to save a Test as it requires such determination and patience. Could he bat that long? Yes he probably could if it were say a first innings of a Test match or trying to win but to save a Test is a different kettle of fish.

Jacques Kallis and Brian Lara would be my tips as well as Chanderpaul who has shown he can bat for a long time.
Chanderpaul - Good call , i forgot about him...

cbuts

International Debutant
def dont think langer could bat to save a match.
dravid
lara
chanderpaul
kallis
and the 5th one is quiet hard if u ask me
id go oram. he has got along way to go as a batsman yet, but he has once or twice for new zealand already batted for a long time to save a test.

Last edited:

King_Ponting

International Regular
cbuts said:
def dont think langer could bat to save a match.
dravid
lara
chanderpaul
kallis
and the 5th one is quiet hard if u ask me
id go oram. he has got along way to go *** a batsman yet, but he has once or twice for new zealand already batted for a long time to save a test.

Yeh langer only wins em. Bellrieve + Pakistan springs to mind

cbuts

International Debutant
once! lets face it, he aint got the head for it. look at today, perfect example. ur team is in the crap, and u play that shot

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Chanderpaul could do it definitely
Lara, not too sure because he wouldn't resist strokemaking (not that he's not good at it), but he has the talent
Ponting - I've seen him when he is fully committed to doing one set job (being blocking a lot) and he is irrepressible
Langer could do it too but probably would look at winning it first
Dravid I would definitely back

I've noticed everyones saying Kallis, but not having seen him bat a lot means I better not give him a mention

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Gillespie, i'd back the blocker
In the future, when(if) the situation arises that Gillespie has to block for two days to save a test against Murali, i'll bet you a tenner against it happening.
:D :D :D :D

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
i dont think australia will have to save a test match against sri lanka........ :)

Well..never say never...IF it comes to that, i hope you dont mind betting that tenner.
:D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Kallis
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting

(Not in any particular order)
Simply the five best, and most able (combination of talent + application) batsmen in the world - you've got to back them in, no matter what the situation.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not for 2 days (could anyone nowadays?), but Vaughan's batted a fair while to save a test for England on occasions. The 2nd SL test in 2003/04, Antigua in 2004 and the 1st SA test in 2003 spring to mind.

Slifer

International Captain
tassietiger said:
Chanderpaul could do it definitely
Lara, not too sure because he wouldn't resist strokemaking (not that he's not good at it), but he has the talent
Ponting - I've seen him when he is fully committed to doing one set job (being blocking a lot) and he is irrepressible
Langer could do it too but probably would look at winning it first
Dravid I would definitely back

I've noticed everyones saying Kallis, but not having seen him bat a lot means I better not give him a mention

Lara's done it b4 see his 277, 375, 400* and 213. All these innings while not all match saving innings were made over the course of more than a day and certainly the 277 was a match saving innings