• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting v/s Inzamam - Better Batsmen/Captain

Sehwag309

Banned
Many Paks believe Inzy is the best batsmen in the world, coz he wins games for Pak and he is also the captain of Pak

Lets see, Ponting is a very good captain, or is he lucky to have a team like that? Inzy does dual jobs- bat and captain well at the the same time

Whats ur choice

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
With all due respect to Inzy, Ponting is both a better batsman and a better captain. Inzamam is improving as a skipper after a poor start though, and taking his team with him. Ponting isn't a great captain, but he's better than most. In terms of batting there's a fair gap, I think.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
They seem about on equal footing as captains. Ponting is clearly the better batsman though.

Sehwag309

Banned
FaaipDeOiad Ponting isn't a great captain, but he's better than most. In terms of batting there's a fair gap, I think.
My friend, argument is; is he same/par/better than Inzy

Inzy, actually, does bat very well in pressure-cooker times with a team like Pakwho can suck one day and make aussies look like cats on another (I am serious; forget; too recent performances)

OR

Pak/Inzi stuff is too inflated v/s INDIA only stuff

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I should clarify then... when I say Ponting is better than most, I mean he is better than those going around at the moment except for Fleming and Vaughan, who are above average. Inzy is nothing particularly special as a captain in my opinion, although he is improving.

Inzamam is an excellent batsman as I said, but Ponting is better.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Ponting is a better Batsman, bowler, fielder, captain and keeper than inzy. Bout the only thing inzy does better is eating......... id say. Nah ponting by a fair margin

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
King_Ponting said:
On what grounds?
You did not state on what grounds you think Ponting is a better batsman. :p

Ponting is a very good batsman but the coolness Inzaman displays in pressure situations gives him some thing extra as a player for me.

Scallywag

Banned
Pratyush said:
I would say Inzamam is a better batsman.
Ponting averages 56 compared to Inzis 50 and both have 22 centuries even though Inzi has played more tests.

In fact Ponting is every bit as good a batsman as Lara and Tendulkar.

Ponting has bought the Australian team together as a team and focused on cricket whereas Inzi has lots of problems with unity within the team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scallywag said:
Ponting averages 56 compared to Inzis 50 and both have 22 centuries even though Inzi has played more tests.
And averages are every thing to prove who is a better batsman I suppose 8-)

C_C

International Captain
Its close between them as captain- Inzy started very poorly but right now he is pretty competent tactically....Ponting, IMO is the worst aussie captain since Hughes.

When it comes to batting,Ponting is far and away better really.
Inzy is weak against quality leg spin and weak against accurate fast bowling of the McGrath-Ambrose variety... Ponting is pretty weak against Offspin on an uneven pitch but his weakness is much more restricted than Inzy's.
But Ponting is not as good as Lara or Tendulkar....i would put him 5th best batsman of the current active batsmen, after Tendy,lara,Dravid and Gilly.
Gilly and Punter is close but the top three are clearly better.......none of them have any glaring weakness akin to Punter's ineptitude to spinners on an uneven, typical 4th-5th day Indian pitch....and none of them have done as poorly as Punter has in a proper test nation ( India).

Last edited:

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Its close between them as captain- Inzy started very poorly but right now he is pretty competent tactically....Ponting, IMO is the worst aussie captain since Hughes.

When it comes to batting,Ponting is far and away better really.
Inzy is weak against quality leg spin and weak against accurate fast bowling of the McGrath-Ambrose variety... Ponting is pretty weak against Offspin on an uneven pitch but his weakness is much more restricted than Inzy's.

Take off your rose coloured glasses mate 8-)

C_C

International Captain
Yes. I am anti-Aussie by saying he is the worst Aussie skipper since Hughes.
:blink: :blink: :blink:

I am sorry, but Border, Taylor and Tugga were all considerably better captains than Punter.
Both tactically and in ability to marshall their troops...Ponting is a bit too much like the western gunslinger........while the former three were more like chess players.

C_C

International Captain
Those statements arnt contradictory....atleast not to anyone with a brain.
Ponting, in my opinion, is a decent captain EMPIRICALLY.
But, in my opinion, he is the worst captain since Hughes, ie, when compared to Border,Taylor and Tugga- RELATIVELY.
Scoring a 70 in a test is doing decently. But you are still the poorest in the class if the entire class has scored more than you ( if the score isnt bell-curved).

Some people really need to study their english a wee bit more.
8-) 8-)

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scallywag said:
And I suppose you have a better way, like whoever you think.
Oh so you are justifying that Average 1> Average 2 so batsman 1 is essentially better?

Who I think is based on specific aspects not just mere numbers which usually dont present the complete picture.

Scallywag

Banned
Pratyush said:
Oh so you are justifying that Average 1> Average 2 so batsman 1 is essentially better?

Who I think is based on specific aspects not just mere numbers which usually dont present the complete picture.

Well dont be shy, lay it all out so we can all see what basis you use to judge a batsmans quality.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scallywag said:
Well dont be shy, lay it all out so we can all see what basis you use to judge a batsmans quality.
I have given one aspect in my earlier post already 8-)