Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vaughan gets nasty

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Why should these agreements exist ?
    It assumes implicitly that players are honest- when they are quiete capable of dishonesty....
    Remember when Steve Waugh claimed a bump-ball catch against Lara or when Ganguly claimed a bump-ball catch not too long ago ?
    The idea is to encourage players to be more honest. If this sort of pact existed and someone claimed a catch they clearly didn't take they would come under a hell of a lot more fire than they do now.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

It is good to see England having a captain who is a natural born winner and not a natural born loser which I can say about some of the guys who have captained England.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

State Captain
    Well we'll just have to disagree on the thin edges thing. I don't think that Ponting has that in mind at all, and I think it would be a VERY bad idea if he did. His solution (ie. gentleman's agreement on low catches) also seems to be one for a problem that doesn't really exist anymore now that the ICC have changed the regulations on low catches. I can't remember the last time a low catch was referred to the third umpire in an England game (which this suggests is the motivation for it all), and there has been hardly any controversy about it (the odd murmurings, usually from Aussies, about a Jones catch - but nothing that would be solved by any agreement anyway). Compare that with when this "agreement" idea was first mooted, when it seemed every other catch was being referred and them nearly all (wrongly, because the technology is misleading) being given not out.

State Captain
    The idea is to encourage players to be more honest. If this sort of pact existed and someone claimed a catch they clearly didn't take they would come under a hell of a lot more fire than they do now
    It seems half of Australia believe that Pietersen "clearly didn't take" the two catches off Martyn and Ponting even though everyone in England knows that he clearly did.

C_C
    The idea is to encourage players to be more honest. If this sort of pact existed and someone claimed a catch they clearly didn't take they would come under a hell of a lot more fire than they do now.
    It doesnt do anything to make the players more honest.
    If i am dishonest person, how does asking my confirmation change the fact that i am dishonest ?

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    It seems half of Australia believe that Pietersen "clearly didn't take" the two catches off Martyn and Ponting even though everyone in England knows that he clearly did.
    Says who? I think the Ponting one was clearly out and I don't think the Martyn one was, and I'm sure people in England agree with me, people in England think neither of them were out and people in Australia think both of them were. Just because some people have massive national bias in discussing cricket doesn't mean everybody does.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I think these guys are just gaining some publicity through all this. Lara has done it all the time. I remember when Mark Waugh once claimed a very close call catch of his in the 99 Windies tour of Australia and Brian simply asked Mark if he caught it and then walked away. And then Lara claimed a catch of Langer and he didn't walk. Brian got pretty upset, IIRC. Finally, Langer was given out and Lara gave him a bit of a send off too.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    I think these guys are just gaining some publicity through all this. Lara has done it all the time. I remember when Mark Waugh once claimed a very close call catch of his in the 99 Windies tour of Australia and Brian simply asked Mark if he caught it and then walked away. And then Lara claimed a catch of Langer and he didn't walk. Brian got pretty upset, IIRC. Finally, Langer was given out and Lara gave him a bit of a send off too.
    Yeah, well I don't think Ricky is claiming he's the only player ever to want to introduce mutual honesty into the game. Obviously there are players like Lara and Gilchrist who are known for it anyway. Obviously players like Roger Harper and Langer played for the same teams and are definately not known for their honesty.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Says who? I think the Ponting one was clearly out and I don't think the Martyn one was, and I'm sure people in England agree with me, people in England think neither of them were out and people in Australia think both of them were. Just because some people have massive national bias in discussing cricket doesn't mean everybody does.
    You make my point. If the technology isn't clear enough (and like i said is actively misleading) to decide if catches are "clearly out" or not (which is why this whole 'agreement' idea came about) then how is encouraging honesty in players going to change their actions with regard to claiming catches?

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    You make my point. If the technology isn't clear enough (and like i said is actively misleading) to decide if catches are "clearly out" or not (which is why this whole 'agreement' idea came about) then how is encouraging honesty in players going to change their actions with regard to claiming catches?
    I'm not suggesting it will - it's not my suggestion, is it? However, I'd say Ponting thinks that if batsmen are encouraged to take the word of the fielder, fielders will be similarly encouraged not to claim a catch unless it's really out... and if there is a case where it is clearly not out and they claim it (see Roger Harper, SCG 1996 during Bevan's famous innings), they'll get a lot more fire for it having agreed to an honesty pact than otherwise.

Banned
    Could read anything into it, but I think it was a statement from Vaughan saying we will do what we want. He's not going to make it all rosy for Ponting and would be looking to throw him a couple of curve balls.

Do you think it will affect Ponting?.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Vaughan is about as nasty as a sponge.
    You sound so amazingly like my mum

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    It was this comment from Ponting that got me

""It's a bit of a blight on the game that we refer them all to the third umpire."

which seems to indicate he doesn't know the rules, we don't refer them all to the 3rd umpire, only if both umpires are unsighted which is how often?

Banned
    Hussain always seemed the worst culprit for NEVER walking and always waiting around. Then giving the umpire a dirty look as if he was wronged on virtually every dissmissal.

Trescothick's pretty bad too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information