• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better young fast bowler Tait or Malinga

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well i have never seen Tait bowl, but i have heard commentators plus aussies on this forum speak well of him, also i have been impressed by his performances for SA in the recent seasons. I have seen enough of Malinga dating back to his debut in Darwin, proving to me that he is an exciting young prospect.

But still i cant decide who is better in my view, all i can do is biasley say Tait is better :D , what do you blokes think...

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tait for mine. That's not knocking Malinga, either.

I don't see why you'd compare them other than they're both young and fast, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
They're both pretty good prospects, but Tait is more impressive for mine. Malinga certainly adds nicely to the Sri Lankan attack though.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't seen either , but going by the performances so far Malinga has the wickets to show and Tait hasn't shown anything yet in International Cricket !!

And this is not knocking Tait either !! :D

Aussie Mate , why not open a poll on this ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never seen either bowl, so that effectively negates my opinion. However, didn't Tait set a record for South Australia in an FC season last winter (Oz summer, natch!)? 65 wickets with as strike rate of 35-6 is impressive stuff in anyone's book. Beat Clarrie Grimmett's record, so he's in very good company.

Against that he was irredeemably ar$e at Durham. Don't think he even took a wicket & had big no-ball probs. So may he prefer the truer Oz pitches to English conditions.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Lasith Malinga Test career so far -

Test Career Batting and Fielding (2004-2005)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 SRate Ct
7 10 6 16 6* 4.00 0 0 24.61 5
Test Career Bowling (2004-2005)
Balls Mdns Runs Wkts BB Ave 5wI 10wM SRate Econ
1345 30 859 30 5-80 28.63 1 0 44.83 3.83

7 tests 30 wickets , Strike rate 44.83 , Average 28.63.

I assumed that his stats would show him to be a very expensive bowler , but was surprised to note even his economy rate is not too bad at 3.83. :D

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
3.83 is really very expensive in test cricket. Even Jeff Thomson only gave up 3.13 per over. ;)

Anyway, Malinga has obviously had a very good start to his test career, and I think he can be quite a good bowler if he stays fit. The main concern is how he will be handled once people adjust to his unorthodox style a bit more.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
3.83 is really very expensive in test cricket. Even Jeff Thomson only gave up 3.13 per over. ;)

Anyway, Malinga has obviously had a very good start to his test career, and I think he can be quite a good bowler if he stays fit. The main concern is how he will be handled once people adjust to his unorthodox style a bit more.
Agree that is tad expensive in Tests. But Like Lee he gets carted around but does deliver the goods in terms of wickets !!

And with regard to how people handle him once they get used to his unorthodox delivery mode we shall await and see, just as we await the deliverance of Shaun Tait in International Cricket !!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Way too hard to compare. But having watched both quite a bit, probably Tait. But it`s an unsure thing.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Obviously Tait hasn't played Test cricket yet while Malinga has and has performed well so far. That said, I think Tait is a better prospect in the long run.

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
Never seen either bowl, so that effectively negates my opinion. However, didn't Tait set a record for South Australia in an FC season last winter (Oz summer, natch!)? 65 wickets with as strike rate of 35-6 is impressive stuff in anyone's book. Beat Clarrie Grimmett's record, so he's in very good company.

Against that he was irredeemably ar$e at Durham. Don't think he even took a wicket & had big no-ball probs. So may he prefer the truer Oz pitches to English conditions.
Then you had people like Marc, Neil and Richard not rating him on the basis of his performances in Durham despite all three having never seen him bowl.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Then you had people like Marc, Neil and Richard not rating him on the basis of his performances in Durham despite all three having never seen him bowl.
Fact is, he was poor last summer, and he simply has to have bowled pretty well last winter.
And, as we all know well, one season does not a player make.
For his sake it's probably best if he doesn't play in The Ashes but we've seen players get taken along by Australia "for the atmosphere" a couple of times recently then get chucked in - and in Hauritz's case it cost a Test-match.
Let us hope it may do similar in the next 2 months. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
So may he prefer the truer Oz pitches to English conditions.
Which makes no real sense (indeed, we don't really know what the conditions were like in the two games he played for Durham).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Tait for mine. That's not knocking Malinga, either.

I don't see why you'd compare them other than they're both young and fast, though.
Quite - Malinga is like precisely no-one for... well, has there ever been a bowler quite like him?
I can't conceive he'll amount to too much, personally - not accurate enough and not likely to be with an action like that.
But we'll wait and see.
As for Tait - we will do the same.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I seen both bowl and Malinga looks better, Tait looks like he can only bowl on Australian pitches ATM, whereas Malinga has shown he can bowl in various conditions. Tait done well in domestic cricket in Australia, but there have been a lot of bowlers that have done well in domestic, but have been useless in Test Cricket. I don't think Tait will be one of these bowlers, but it hard to rate him infront of someone who has preformed in Test, on the back of one good season in domestic cricket. ATM i think Tait is on par with other guys that have performed in domestic cricket but not in Test Cricket, guys like F Edwards and Tino Best.