• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better young fast bowler Tait or Malinga

King_Ponting

International Regular
yeh but we batted first on a spinners deck. Not that sure lords will offer the same assistance to the spinners.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Australia v Sri Lanka anyone, Australia get bowled out for 200 odd and then come back and win every match.
true but darwin was a horrible pitch, lord's isn't but i still believe Australia will win in the end as well.

King_Ponting

International Regular
aussie said:
true but darwin was a horrible pitch, lord's isn't but i still believe Australia will win in the end as well.
Im pretty sure that was in sri lanka?????? The one chaminda is referring to?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well Sri Lanka bowled Australia out for 200 plus totals in Galle & Darwin last year...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tait is definitely quicker than some here are giving the man credit for. When he's going, he's definitely in Lee's region for pace. Geez, I watched him in the Adelaide Oval nets at 17 get clocked at 144km/h. Most of what else he bowled that day was around the 140km/h mark so it was no fluke. Certainly consistently quicker than Bird and marginally outstrips Johnston, though Johnson has been hamstrung by injuries somewhat.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well if their anyone judgement on the game i can trust is top_cat so i'll take your word on Tait mate, but when Australia get up here for the 3rd test i'll be paying keen attention to Tait in the nets...

King_Ponting

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
Tait is definitely quicker than some here are giving the man credit for. When he's going, he's definitely in Lee's region for pace. Geez, I watched him in the Adelaide Oval nets at 17 get clocked at 144km/h. Most of what else he bowled that day was around the 140km/h mark so it was no fluke. Certainly consistently quicker than Bird and marginally outstrips Johnston, though Johnson has been hamstrung by injuries somewhat.
Yeh much the same as the anlysis i made of him. Definently about lees pace

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
Entirely agree. That spell (8/43) was as quick as anything I've ever seen live - including Lee. Also, the fact that Tait would be harder to pick up than other bowlers, as he brings the ball from behind his body, gives him that sort of "bowling machine" effect, and makes him seem quicker than what he really is, as its harder to pick the ball up.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
it would definately be interesting if tait does play in the ashes, looking at the effect both Edwards & Malinga had on the opposition on their debuts respectibely, maybe Tait could surprise some of the English batsmen...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Tait is no where near the pace of Lee, his Harmison pace.
I think you seriously underrate Tait's pace mate. You told me a while back that Malinga was faster than Tait, too. Mind you, Harmison at his fastest is only a few mph behind Lee anyway. Today Lee bowled his quickest around 94 to Harmison about 91-92. Either way, Tait is definately a 90+ mph bowler, which is fast enough to case problems if he's decently accurate and can swing it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
I remember watching Bird play aganist Manly a couple season back in Grade Cricket and he was easierly bowling 150km/h that day. He bowled faster that day then i have ever seen Tait bowl, so i would still sat Bird faster at his best then Tait. Tait maybe be consisently faster then Bird but Bird can bowl faster balls and same with Johnson, prior to his major injury.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think you seriously underrate Tait's pace mate. You told me a while back that Malinga was faster than Tait, too. Mind you, Harmison at his fastest is only a few mph behind Lee anyway. Today Lee bowled his quickest around 94 to Harmison about 91-92. Either way, Tait is definately a 90+ mph bowler, which is fast enough to case problems if he's decently accurate and can swing it.
From what i recall i said Malinga was the same pace as Tait and back then Tait was bowling at the same pace as Malinga did in Australia high 140km/h, but since then Tait increased his pace to Harmison pace 91-92 and Malinga pace has dropped. To say Tait can bowl the same speed as Lee is to say he can bowl up 160km/h which is not correct.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember watching Bird play aganist Manly a couple season back in Grade Cricket and he was easierly bowling 150km/h that day. He bowled faster that day then i have ever seen Tait bowl, so i would still sat Bird faster at his best then Tait. Tait maybe be consisently faster then Bird but Bird can bowl faster balls and same with Johnson, prior to his major injury.
So you could tell from watching? Sorry, but Tait has been clocked as faster than both Bird and Johnson. You watching him bowl and being 'sure' he went past 150km/h isn't enough for anyone.

Anyway, it's moot; I've personally faced bowlers who were clocked at between 140km/h and 148km/h and I couldn't tell the difference; they were all just QUICK.

From what i recall i said Malinga was the same pace as Tait and back then Tait was bowling at the same pace as Malinga did in Australia high 140km/h, but since then Tait increased his pace to Harmison pace 91-92 and Malinga pace has dropped. To say Tait can bowl the same speed as Lee is to say he can bowl up 160km/h which is not correct.
No-one said AS quick; we've all said 'in the region' which I personally take to mean up to 150-155km/h (Lee's quickest ball all summer has been around the 154km/h mark, y'know; he hasn't bowled past 155km/h for some time).