• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better young fast bowler Tait or Malinga

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
him a edwards are quite similar the only difference i have seen is that Edwards delivers from a slighty lower trajectory.
Edwards action is far different from Malinga's as it stands. Edwards has cleaned up to a nearer orthodox action over the past year. Malinga's is extremely unorthodox.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Then you had people like Marc, Neil and Richard not rating him on the basis of his performances in Durham despite all three having never seen him bowl.
Actually all Neil and I ever do is mention that spell when his name is mentioned as being great!

It comes from the opinion of some people that Australian = better than any other player.

dinu23

International Debutant
I haven't seen tait bowl.so I can't comment on him. but looking at their FC and List A stats they've had fairly similar careers so far.

malinga
Code:
            mat  balls    runs  wkts  bbi   bbm  ave    econ    sr      4   5 10 
First-class   44   6243   4199   144   6/17       29.15   4.03   43.35  11  4  0 
List A          20   894   698   30   4/16   4/16 23.26   4.68  29.80   1   0  0
tait
Code:
            mat  balls    runs  wkts  bbi   bbm  ave    econ    sr    4   5 10 
First-class   26   4741    2895 118   7/99      24.53   3.66   40.17 11   5   0 
List A        25   1259  1015   45   8/43   8/43   22.55 4.83 27.97   1   1   0
both are expensive. malinga has more FC wickets b'cause he's played more matches.S/R are prettty similar.

brockley

International Captain
Tait for mine,he will trouble many international batsmen when he hits the international scene he is fast and brutal.Malinga bowls 10 km/h slower than tait maybe 15.
Tait is a pure example of a fast bowler rather than a fast medium bowler,there are a huge amount of fast medium bowlers not many fast fast bowlers,the distinction made.
Fast men on the scene,lee,aktar,sami,lawson,bond and tait.

C_C

International Captain
Umm...i think Tait is a bigger prospect than Malinga but pace has nothing to do with it, mate.
Ambrose/McGrath didnt/dont bowl very fast.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
Umm...i think Tait is a bigger prospect than Malinga but pace has nothing to do with it, mate.
Ambrose/McGrath didnt/dont bowl very fast.
Now while pace wasn't the be-all and end-all with Curtly, he was a fair bit quicker than McGrath, especially in his earlier years, and was genuinely a "Right Arm Fast" bowler. I would have thought that mid-90s, only Donald would have been quicker than him.

EDIT: And Waqar, although I'm probably thinking more 96-99, before Lee came onto the scene, and Waqar was past his best/quickest.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Now while pace wasn't the be-all and end-all with Curtly, he was a fair bit quicker than McGrath, especially in his earlier years, and was genuinely a "Right Arm Fast" bowler. I would have thought that mid-90s, only Donald would have been quicker than him.
Donald and Waqar. Waqar was extremely fast in the first half of his career. Agreed about Ambrose being quick though.

edit: hehe, beat me to it with the edit.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Donald and Waqar. Waqar was extremely fast in the first half of his career. Agreed about Ambrose being quick though.

edit: hehe, beat me to it with the edit.
I'd just like to point out that I edited my post before I saw yours ;) :p

EDIT: And then you beat me to it with yours! Haha.

C_C

International Captain
Actually it is doubtful if Ambrose was ever genuinely fast - traditionally defined as 90mph mark.... from what i recall, he was high 80s stuff and exgaggerated bounce always gives the impression of faster bowling to the onlooker.

As per the 90s, quiete a few were faster than him.
Donald definately was, so was Waqar. Mohammed Zahid was pretty fricking fast as well...
I would go out on a limb and say Gough was faster as well...
Devon Malcolm definately was.
Ian Bishop( atleast until 93 or so, when he suffered his back injury) was quiete a lot faster.
Srinath was faster too i think, especially in his earlier years ( i think it was in RSA 96 where Srinath consistently outpaced Donald)...Akhtar was faster too when he first came out.
Akram was faster too, when he wanted ( Akram was quiete capable of bowling in the high 90s- which he did against the WI a few times in the late 80s...but according to him, he slowed down deliberately to get more swing and went superfast only a few times in his career since).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
brockley said:
Tait for mine,he will trouble many international batsmen when he hits the international scene he is fast and brutal.Malinga bowls 10 km/h slower than tait maybe 15.
Tait is a pure example of a fast bowler rather than a fast medium bowler,there are a huge amount of fast medium bowlers not many fast fast bowlers,the distinction made.
Fast men on the scene,lee,aktar,sami,lawson,bond and tait.
Tait not that fast mate, his about the same pace as Harmison. His about the same pace as Malinga maybe 5 km/h faster cus Malinga pace drops of a lot after his first spell. Johnson and Bird at their fastest bowl faster then Tait.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Fact is, he was poor last summer, and he simply has to have bowled pretty well last winter.
And, as we all know well, one season does not a player make.
For his sake it's probably best if he doesn't play in The Ashes but we've seen players get taken along by Australia "for the atmosphere" a couple of times recently then get chucked in - and in Hauritz's case it cost a Test-match.
Let us hope it may do similar in the next 2 months. :)
The thing is I'm getting it those who haven't seen him bowl and going on his performance in England first time around don't rate him but those who have seen him bowl is the complete opposite.

60-odd wickets in a season is an amazing form streak and makes people sit up and notice, but before he bowled like a madman he looked like he had the goods to be a potential Australian Test cricketer.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Actually all Neil and I ever do is mention that spell when his name is mentioned as being great!

It comes from the opinion of some people that Australian = better than any other player.
So he gets credit when he plays well - just like any other cricketer or sportsman/women.

Or are you two the heads of the Tall Poppy Syndrome Society?

cbuts

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
you cant have an action like that and be successful(or rather accurate for long periods of time) at the international level.
y not? he can bowl quick yorkers, can swing the ball and reverse swing the ball, and can naturally hurry up the batsman

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Actually it is doubtful if Ambrose was ever genuinely fast - traditionally defined as 90mph mark.... from what i recall, he was high 80s stuff and exgaggerated bounce always gives the impression of faster bowling to the onlooker.

As per the 90s, quiete a few were faster than him.
Donald definately was, so was Waqar. Mohammed Zahid was pretty fricking fast as well...
I would go out on a limb and say Gough was faster as well...
Devon Malcolm definately was.
Ian Bishop( atleast until 93 or so, when he suffered his back injury) was quiete a lot faster.
Srinath was faster too i think, especially in his earlier years ( i think it was in RSA 96 where Srinath consistently outpaced Donald)...Akhtar was faster too when he first came out.
Akram was faster too, when he wanted ( Akram was quiete capable of bowling in the high 90s- which he did against the WI a few times in the late 80s...but according to him, he slowed down deliberately to get more swing and went superfast only a few times in his career since).

Srinath faster than donald? You cant be being serious?