• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better young fast bowler Tait or Malinga

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I seen both bowl and Malinga looks better, Tait looks like he can only bowl on Australian pitches ATM, whereas Malinga has shown he can bowl in various conditions. Tait done well in domestic cricket in Australia, but there have been a lot of bowlers that have done well in domestic, but have been useless in Test Cricket. I don't think Tait will be one of these bowlers, but it hard to rate him infront of someone who has preformed in Test, on the back of one good season in domestic cricket. ATM i think Tait is on par with other guys that have performed in domestic cricket but not in Test Cricket, guys like F Edwards and Tino Best.
We're not rating achivements, but talent. Obviously in terms of achievements its no contest because on has played test cricket and the other has not.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Which makes no real sense (indeed, we don't really know what the conditions were like in the two games he played for Durham).
I don't see why it makes no sense. Not every bowler relies on the higher levels of seam movement and swing in English conditions... some prefer the pace and bounce of Australian wickets.

It is an interesting point that some have raised about Tait, though, that he seems to bowl remarkably well in Adelaide, on what is usually a very flat wicket. If you look at him in seam/swing friendly conditions though, like for example the game in the middle of his purple patch last season where Bracken took 7/4 against South Australia at the SCG... it was one of Tait's poorest games for the season.

Either way, he bowled two spells in England, it doesn't mean he's a bad bowler any more than his 8 wicket haul in the OD game means he is a world class bowler. Personally I rate him quite highly and think he's a good prospect, but nobody will really know for a while yet.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
We're not rating achivements, but talent. Obviously in terms of achievements its no contest because on has played test cricket and the other has not.
When it comes to talent Malinga is still better and Tait is on par with other up and coming fast bowlers.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
When it comes to talent Malinga is still better and Tait is on par with other up and coming fast bowlers.
Well, that's where you and I disagree. As far as I'm concerned, Malinga is an interesting prospect, but relies far more on his unothodoxy than Tait, and if I had to pick one of them to bet on being a long-term success, it would be Tait.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well, that's where you and I disagree. As far as I'm concerned, Malinga is an interesting prospect, but relies far more on his unothodoxy than Tait, and if I had to pick one of them to bet on being a long-term success, it would be Tait.
And Tait so othodox isn't he ;),

To be a long term success you have to be sucessful in a variety of conditions. From what i've seen of Tait his doesn't look like his going to be too successful outside the high bouncey conditions of Australia, unless he makes major chances to his bowling style.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
I think Tait will be better in the long-run but I think Malinga is an exciting prospect.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
And Tait so othodox isn't he ;)
Of course not, I just don't think he relies on his unorthodoxy the way that Malinga does.

chaminda_00 said:
To be a long term success you have to be sucessful in a variety of conditions. From what i've seen of Tait his doesn't look like his going to be too successful outside the high bouncey conditions of Australia, unless he makes major chances to his bowling style.
Why does he rely on high bouncy conditions? You've seen him bowl, right? Tait relies less on high bounce than just about any fast bowler I can think of. Someone like McGrath for example enjoys bounce far more... Tait having such a low action can't really take advantage of it anyway. What I don't understand is why he doesn't excel in swing-friendly conditions to date, when he's a bowler who uses swing so well. Maybe he just hasn't learned to control it under those conditions yet.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why does he rely on high bouncy conditions? You've seen him bowl, right? Tait relies less on high bounce than just about any fast bowler I can think of. Someone like McGrath for example enjoys bounce far more... Tait having such a low action can't really take advantage of it anyway. What I don't understand is why he doesn't excel in swing-friendly conditions to date, when he's a bowler who uses swing so well. Maybe he just hasn't learned to control it under those conditions yet.
I seemed to not explain myself too well :(

What i meant that he does not seem to be able to make the most of pitches that swing and seam and slower pitches. He seems to only be able to do well on faster pitches in Australia and struggles on slower decks. When he bowls on pitches outside Australia that are slower, then i think he is going to struggle unless he changes his bowling style.

tooextracool

International Coach
i cant believe that theres a thread comparing an international bowler with someone whos never played international cricket. i've never seen tait bowl, but from descriptions he sounds like someone whos miraculously had 1 season of success in domestic cricket who probably wont amount to anything. as far as malinga is concerned, he has one of the worst actions i've seen for any bowler at the international level, and i'd be extremely surprised if he amounts to anything other than 'mediocre'.

Legglancer

State Regular
tooextracool said:
i cant believe that theres a thread comparing an international bowler with someone whos never played international cricket. i've never seen tait bowl, but from descriptions he sounds like someone whos miraculously had 1 season of success in domestic cricket who probably wont amount to anything. as far as malinga is concerned, he has one of the worst actions i've seen for any bowler at the international level, and i'd be extremely surprised if he amounts to anything other than 'mediocre'.
It does not matter how good (or not) an action looks as long as its legal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How bad is Malinga's action? I've read it described as "round-armed" (which doesn't equate to a chuck, obviously). Is it more or less so than Fidel Edwards?

tooextracool

International Coach
Legglancer said:
It does not matter how good (or not) an action looks as long as its legal.
you cant have an action like that and be successful(or rather accurate for long periods of time) at the international level.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
How bad is Malinga's action? I've read it described as "round-armed" (which doesn't equate to a chuck, obviously). Is it more or less so than Fidel Edwards?
him a edwards are quite similar the only difference i have seen is that Edwards delivers from a slighty lower trajectory.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
the only similarity between edwards and malinga is that they are both slingers. fidel though at least looks like he can get some sort of rhythm onto his action without causing any serious injuries to himself. in fidels case the hand comes from very low(behind the thigh), in malingas case it comes from behind the back. i wouldnt be surprised at all if edwards and malinga(in particular) suffer plenty of injuries during their international career, however long that lasts.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
tooextracool said:
never actually seen thompson bowl so i cant make anything out of that.
Fidel Edwards's action is pretty much a mini-me Thomson, so if you've seen Edwards there's a good marker for you.