• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Karnataka X1 win Emerging Players tournament !!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Surprised no one mentioned this.

Very, very impressive achievement for Karnataka's state development squad to beat some of the best upcoming talent in both Australia and New Zealand at the Emerging players tournament in Brisbane. I honestly though Karnataka would finish last before the tournament began. That New Zealand Academy side had four players with international experience too !

Here's the link to the final :
http://www.nzcricket.co.nz/display.aspx?ss=&pri=101&sec=475&cid=4752&tpl=0

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Impressive, indeed, although the Karnataka side has a lot of first class experience, I would assume that both the kiwi and the Aussie sides in the competition had experienced first class sides too. But the bowling stocks of India are worrying me... :(

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
But the bowling stocks of India are worrying me... :(
So what's new :D

When people start offering Powar as the best off spinner in the country after Harbhajan we know where we are headed :)

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
honestbharani said:
Impressive, indeed, although the Karnataka side has a lot of first class experience, I would assume that both the kiwi and the Aussie sides in the competition had experienced first class sides too. But the bowling stocks of India are worrying me... :(

I wouldn't say that the Karnataka team has a LOT of first class experience. They have 3-4 guys who are first class regulars certainly e.g Aiyappa but the majority of them are guys who've recently come out of u-19 ranks. They were missing a lot of first team regulars like Ganesh, Joshi, AKhil, Naidu etc.

The Kiwi team certainly appeared to be the most experienced .......I don't believe the Aussie teams had a lot of first class experience ....some dudes like Mark Cleary, Michael Klinger, David Dawson certainly played first class.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
SJS said:
So what's new :D

When people start offering Powar as the best off spinner in the country after Harbhajan we know where we are headed :)
That's just Arjun who's saying that......

The most promising spinners in India at first class level (based on what I saw last season)
are leggie AMit Mishra (Haryana), Rajesh Sharma (17 year old offie who plays for Punjab) and Baroda's left arm spinner Rajesh Pawar.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
honestbharani said:
But the bowling stocks of India are worrying me... :(
It's not all doom and gloom.......I think in the crop of VRV Singh, RP Singh, Sreeshant, Gagandeep, Aavishkar Salvi, Munaf and Anupam Sancclecha, there's a talented group of upcoming pace bowlers to work with.

Certainly DK Lillee and TA Sekhar (who are probably the best qualified people to talk about Indian pace bowling), seem pretty optimistic about the talent available.
I think the raw material is there....its now a matter of translating that into consistently strong performances at international level.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
GermanShepherd said:
That's just Arjun who's saying that......

I know, I know. I am just pulling Arjun's leg. He has this 'endearing' quality of backing his old heroes (Powar, Bahutule, RS Sodhi) right till the grave :p

Frankly I have not seen any of these youngsters (not many have i am sure) so I am never going to comment on how good or bad they are.

But some of the people I HAVE seen (not spinners though) who people tend to rave about, give the impression that the cupboard must be really bare.

Munaf Patel is a case in point. He is highly over hyped.

Earlier there was that fat guy from Calcutta SS Paul. Yes he moved the ball in the air but he is no pace bowler and would be an embarasment to have in the side. Just because so few bowlers swing the ball in the air (God knows why) doesnt mean we pick up the first one who does and comes along.

Suddenly a few months ago a magazine wrote about Irfan's brother. A good club cricketer if you ask me. But all of a sudden people were talking of him as if he was a rare discovery.

I would appreciate if people talk of young Indian players after having seen them play at some reasonable level rather than just read one of the hundreds of sports writers that have mushroomed in India over the last 2-3 years and then discuss the future of Indian cricket with such finality.

It is this tendency which makes me mock some of our friends here once in a while.

I must confess, I havent seen many young Indian cricketers (its sad really but thats how it is) so I rarely comment on them.

Regards

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
Very, very impressive achievement for Karnataka's state development squad to beat some of the best upcoming talent in both Australia and New Zealand at the Emerging players tournament in Brisbane. I honestly though Karnataka would finish last before the tournament began. That New Zealand Academy side had four players with international experience too !
This side is a lot better than the frontline Karnataka team that played in the last Ranji. A lot of them are under-19 players, of whom Gaurav Dhiman has played for the national under-19 side. Hoepfully they'll make the frontline side, given some stalwarts (Bharadwaj, Joshi, Ganesh and a few others) haven't done much of note. They can make a strong comeback in the 2005-06 domestic season.
honestbharani said:
But the bowling stocks of India are worrying me...
The artificial scarcity is a lot worse.
When people start offering Powar as the best off spinner in the country after Harbhajan we know where we are headed
Name your top five spinners- let's just see how close Murali Karthik is to Kumble (average of 60 in ODI's last year) and Harbhajan.
GermanShepherd said:
The most promising spinners in India at first class level (based on what I saw last season)
are leggie AMit Mishra (Haryana), Rajesh Sharma (17 year old offie who plays for Punjab) and Baroda's left arm spinner Rajesh Pawar.
Rajesh Sharma is just a fill-in for Punjab and not a regular. Amit Mishra is a very talented leg-spinner who turns the ball a lot, but doesn't seem a good fit in ODI's- his A-team average is over 50. Rajesh Pawar is a good strike bowler option, but the runs he scores has got the selectors' attention. Ramesh Powar isn't as effective a strike bowler as Pawar, but he's the second-highest wicket-taker this season and he can score more than a few runs- have we seen any of the Indian bowlers score enough?

brockley

International Captain
Congrats nz and karnataka thought nz would have won with their depth but they didn't.Good hit out for the boys at the AIS,overall good experience for them.Shame cricinfo didn't cover it properly.For the AIS a tour to india in late july early august.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
That pitch must have been a belter. Our guys got 319 and we lost!!?? Good to see our batsmen doing well though, with Ryder and Astle both posting 50s