• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's up with Matt Hayden?

howardj

International Coach
It hasn't just been his indifferent form over the last 12 months, but more his modes of dismissal and general demenour, that has had me thinking: - what's up with Matt Hayden? I reckon his old mate Michael Slater pretty much has it right:

"He worries me because he's become a bit of a bully as a batsman and there's too much anger in his demeanour. He's never been a finesser of the ball, but he used to be subtler than he is now. The old Hayden would accumulate and then be explosive but he now wants to overpower bowlers. It can make him too aggressive and cause his technique to loosen up a bit."

In short, Hayden just doesn't seem to be bothered playing himself in anymore or getting through the hard patches in an innings. He just thinks he can come in and pick up from where he left off, the last time he got a big score. He's too moody at the crease, and way too aggressive early on, instead of building an innings. The patience is gone.

greg

International Debutant
Any possible connection to opening (and trying to compete with) Gilchrist in ODIs?

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain

Monty said:
i think he should be dropped for Hussey
good point. S.Jones has got Hayden sussed (the ball swinging in to his pads) but we have no answer to Hussey as of yet.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
i agree, i think a good clash with England is just what he needs.
Yeah, big turn around for Hayden on this tour I think. He'll be back to his brutal best in no time.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
Golaxi said:
good point. S.Jones has got Hayden sussed (the ball swinging in to his pads) but we have no answer to Hussey as of yet.
my point exactly hussey is unstoppable :D :D :D :D
no just joking, haydens from is majorly bad he needs to go back to pura cup and relearn

Mister Wright

Monty said:
my point exactly hussey is unstoppable :D :D :D :D
no just joking, haydens from is majorly bad he needs to go back to pura cup and relearn
Majorly bad? It has not been at his usual best, he's been averaging somewhere around low-mid 30s. Majorly bad is Michael Clarke who has only scored something like 128 runs in his last 8 innings. If anyone's due for a Pura Cup run it is him.

Mister Wright

Monty said:
but hayden has been scoring badly for about 18 months
Far from badly, yes, no centuries, but a half century every now and then and a couple of 30s and 40s. It hasn't been like he has been struggling to reach double figures, like Clarke.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dinu23 said:
he's old now.
He's almost 34. Hussey is 30.

He's proven quality and, although he's been poor in the context of Australian cricket, he's not been the weakest link, as Kyle pointed out.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He's almost 34. Hussey is 30.

He's proven quality and, although he's been poor in the context of Australian cricket, he's not been the weakest link, as Kyle pointed out.
Katich also a weaker link than hayden

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Majorly bad? It has not been at his usual best, he's been averaging somewhere around low-mid 30s. Majorly bad is Michael Clarke who has only scored something like 128 runs in his last 8 innings. If anyone's due for a Pura Cup run it is him.
And his bad run has gone on for how long? Three series you say? And the series before that he was among Australia's best? And he's the number one run scorer in the world in ODIs this year? Oh my!

Seriously though, I like Hayden, but I'm genuinely concerned about his form. He's not made a score of significance in tests for over a year now, and his "poor run" has encompassed four series and 12 tests. On top of that, he had a brief lean patch before the match where he score two centuries in Cairns, and has also looked out of sorts in ODIs for some time. Australia's selectors are often ruthless with those on the wrong side of 30, as seen with Lehmann who had a great tour of Sri Lanka and then two poor series and was dropped before the end of the third, and Bevan who only had one bad series before he was dropped. If Hayden has a centuryless Ashes and Australia go 1 down for little on a regular basis, he may well finish his test career after the Super Series, and Hussey or Katich will open next summer.

Provided Clarke is at least decent in the Ashes, they'll stick with him as he's viewed as a future prospect. The same cannot be said of Hayden, for obvious reasons.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Katich also a weaker link than hayden
By what possible standard? What has Katich done to show he's in bad form?

Katich in India - 276 @ 39.43, 3rd highest average in team
Katich against New Zealand - did not play
Katich against Pakistan - did not play
Katich in New Zealand - 188 @ 62.67, 5th highest average in team

Hayden in India - 244 @ 30.50, 5th highest average in team
Hayden against New Zealand - 132 @ 44.00, 9th highest average in team
Hayden against Pakistan - 128 @ 32.00, 6th highest average in team
Hayden in New Zealand - 158 @ 31.60, 7th highest average in team

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Katich- Personal bias (traitor who left wa)
Hardly makes him a bad player though. Personally, he's up there with Martyn as the player I'm most confident will have good Ashes series, but I think Hayden will probably struggle. He just doesn't look cut out for it right now, for whatever reason.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Are Hayden's piles acting up again? He sure seems angry about something!! :D

Seriously tho, I think Hayden is a good player who had an extended purple patch (admittedly it lasted for about 3 years) rather than a truly great one. He now hasn't hit a century for something like 20 innings, looked ill at ease against bounce in the ODIs (especially for someone whose strength is supposed to be pulling) & will be targeted for more of the same. With any player approaching their mid-30s a dip in form may be hurriedly viewed as terminal, but in Hayden's case I think it's merely the plateauing off of a batter who couldn't reasonably be expected to maintain the Olympian standards he set himself.

I'm far more worried about his little buddy. Mind you, Langer is all sweetness & light either, is he?!