• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's up with Matt Hayden?

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
you serious mate, show me some stats....
Granted, Hussey did average 55 last summer, but the following stats are pretty damning, considering the guy is already 30 and really should have been piling on the runs at this stage of his career:

2000/01 Pura Cup Av 30
2001/02 Pura Cup Av 35
2002/03 Pura Cup Av 34
2003/04 Pura Cup Av 41

I suppose my desire to see Jacques selected ahead of Hussey - if a spot becomes available during the next Aussie summer, due to Hayden's rut - is that I do not want to see the Lehmann/MWaugh experience repeated. That is, a guy in his mid-thirties being replaced by a guy in his early to mid thirties. The result being a couple of mediocre, dead-end years, doing nothing to regenerate the team. Same with Hodge - I don't want to see him in the team, as he's already in his early 30's and has never been an outstanding Pura Cup player. At best, there'd be a couple of mediocre years, and then the spot would have to be filled again.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
howardj said:
Same with Hodge - I don't want to see him in the team, as he's already in his early 30's and has never been an outstanding Pura Cup player.
I'm with you in the gist of the article, but I'd be suprised find that this is accurate from 01/02 onwards?

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I suppose my desire to see Jacques selected ahead of Hussey - if a spot becomes available during the next Aussie summer, due to Hayden's rut - is that I do not want to see the Lehmann/MWaugh experience repeated. That is, a guy in his mid-thirties being replaced by a guy in his early to mid thirties. The result being a couple of mediocre, dead-end years, doing nothing to regenerate the team. Same with Hodge - I don't want to see him in the team, as he's already in his early 30's and has never been an outstanding Pura Cup player. At best, there'd be a couple of mediocre years, and then the spot would have to be filled again.
Look, I agree with you here, but you have to consider a few things beyond the age... being the relative class of the players and what role they will play in the team. Hayden is 33, and Langer is 34. Chances are, even if Hayden is dropped by next summer, Langer has no more than a couple more years in him anyway. Jaques and Hussey are far and away the two best and most promising openers in Australian domestic cricket. Hussey has been a prolific runscorer in the CC, and Jaques is a few years younger than him and very talented, but not as prolific yet. If Hayden is dropped before the end of next summer, and Hussey is in form and playing well in the ODI team, he should be picked for the spot. The two formats might be different, but you can't ignore such a superb transition into the international arena from a player with such an excellent record. Assuming Langer lasts a couple of years longer at the most, Jaques will replace him. Now, if Hayden returns to form (which he did show signs of on day two) and lasts until after the world cup, and Jaques is still performing, well he might be a better choice for the role then. You can't, however, ignore the senior of the two domestic openers and his performances in ODIs on the grounds that he is 3 or 4 years older than the other option. Jaques might do more to rejuvenate the team, but given the likely exodus of older players in the near future, there will be plenty of rejuvenation as it is. It's more important to get a class player in there who will almost certainly perform. Picking Clarke over Love or Hodge was rejuvenation enough as it is.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Look, I agree with you here, but you have to consider a few things beyond the age... being the relative class of the players and what role they will play in the team. Hayden is 33, and Langer is 34. Chances are, even if Hayden is dropped by next summer, Langer has no more than a couple more years in him anyway. Jaques and Hussey are far and away the two best and most promising openers in Australian domestic cricket. Hussey has been a prolific runscorer in the CC, and Jaques is a few years younger than him and very talented, but not as prolific yet. If Hayden is dropped before the end of next summer, and Hussey is in form and playing well in the ODI team, he should be picked for the spot. The two formats might be different, but you can't ignore such a superb transition into the international arena from a player with such an excellent record. Assuming Langer lasts a couple of years longer at the most, Jaques will replace him. Now, if Hayden returns to form (which he did show signs of on day two) and lasts until after the world cup, and Jaques is still performing, well he might be a better choice for the role then. You can't, however, ignore the senior of the two domestic openers and his performances in ODIs on the grounds that he is 3 or 4 years older than the other option. Jaques might do more to rejuvenate the team, but given the likely exodus of older players in the near future, there will be plenty of rejuvenation as it is. It's more important to get a class player in there who will almost certainly perform. Picking Clarke over Love or Hodge was rejuvenation enough as it is.
You've made some great points there. I'm sort of biased towards Phil Jacques because I saw him bat at the Gabba last summer. It wasn't so much the number of runs he scored, but the manner in which he scored them. He just has a very steady technique - I reckon he'd go great. And, factored into my thinking, is that I reckon Langer will be there for the next Ashes tour - Im serious. He lives for cricket. Therefore, best to replace Hayden with Jacques, and Langer with whoever in four years time. Having said that - yes, Hussey has made a magnificent, seamless entry into International One Day cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Same with Hodge - I don't want to see him in the team, as he's already in his early 30's and has never been an outstanding Pura Cup player. At best, there'd be a couple of mediocre years, and then the spot would have to be filled again.
you seem to have a strange dislike for older players...