• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australians watching a different game

greg

International Debutant
It was the only shot any batsman would have played, you can't go doing anything other than trying to score off balls on that line. Even if he'd tried to play it though mid-on he'd still have edged it anyway.
Well that's a bit of guesswork. Perhaps all those technical purists who talk about playing in the V with the full face of the bat early on in your innings with the ball seaming about are just talking nonsense.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
kendall said:
How many dissmissals or inings in your opinion are actualy valid you seem too discredit most of them?
As I said in the other thread - such is arguing with Richard. That's the difference between him and most other people on this forum, he utterly refuses to admit he is wrong. TEC for example, has never been a fan of Lee, and as I like Lee and believe he has been bowling excellently (and differently) since the start of last summer, we have had disagreements about him in the past. On this tour though, when Lee has bowled well, TEC has been perfectly happy to say so. Richard would never say so, even if Lee took 100 wickets @ 10 next year, he would just be lucky or the batsmen would be poor or the pitch would be helpful or the moon would be in the wrong part of its cycle or the weather would be too hot or the stock market would be too low or something or the sort.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
greg said:
Well that's a bit of guesswork. Perhaps all those technical purists who talk about playing in the V with the full face of the bat early on in your innings with the ball seaming about are just talking nonsense.
Indeed, on that pitch with a new ball it was as dangerous as playing across the line to a straight ball that's lbw-able.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
kendall said:
How many dissmissals or inings in your opinion are actualy valid you seem too discredit most of them?
Well, of the 27 so far, 12 have gone to McGrath and Harmison, so they're automatically not deserved.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well, of the 27 so far, 12 have gone to McGrath and Harmison, so they're automatically not deserved.
Well, Richard said McGrath bowled well, and one of Lee's wickets was deserved, as well as one of Harmison's... so that's something! Still leaves 20 unaccounted for though.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well, Richard said McGrath bowled well, and one of Lee's wickets was deserved, as well as one of Harmison's... so that's something! Still leaves 20 unaccounted for though.
Will cricket ever produce a consistently "decent" bowler 8-)

howardj said:
I've never read a bigger load of bullocks than in the last two weeks about Australia's attack - that Gillespie is woefully out of form 8-); that Kaspa is out of sorts 8-); and that it is somehow a 'must' that Brett Lee be selected in the Tests 8-). All inaccuracies, and none of them will mean a jot, come Thursday in the longer form of the game.
Ooops.

Could you have been any more wrong? :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
It didn't bounce any more than would have been reasonably expected from a short ball bowled at 150kph on a wicket with decent bounce in it, it was just unplayable.
It did, as you'll see when comparing other deliveries of similar length.
There's no other reason, even if you didn't, why Jones would have been so discomfited. If it had bounced as he'd expected he'd have played it easily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
kendall said:
If you take a careful look I only ever discredit spells where bowlers take 4 or 5 wickets without bowling any wicket-taking balls, especially when they've sprayed it around; and fairly obviously only an innings which is scored without doing something that should result in dismissal is valid as far as I'm concerned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
They are indeed - and every single one of them would have played the exact same stroke if it had been them.
The only reason the England batsmen are being criticised for the first-innings is because most people just can't see a 155ao and say "the batsmen didn't do much wrong".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Current match figures: 29.4-4-78-7 - how poor that is (!)
Which just goes to show what you say maybe a million times a week - figures aren't everything.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
As I said in the other thread - such is arguing with Richard. That's the difference between him and most other people on this forum, he utterly refuses to admit he is wrong. TEC for example, has never been a fan of Lee, and as I like Lee and believe he has been bowling excellently (and differently) since the start of last summer, we have had disagreements about him in the past. On this tour though, when Lee has bowled well, TEC has been perfectly happy to say so. Richard would never say so, even if Lee took 100 wickets @ 10 next year, he would just be lucky or the batsmen would be poor or the pitch would be helpful or the moon would be in the wrong part of its cycle or the weather would be too hot or the stock market would be too low or something or the sort.
I'd say that if it was the case - if Lee had changed and bowled well, though, I'd say so.
In the case of this Test, Lee hasn't bowled well, at all, and I wait in the near-certainty of seeing him smashed all over everywhere when we get a better batting pitch and an improvement in our batting.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
It did, as you'll see when comparing other deliveries of similar length.
There's no other reason, even if you didn't, why Jones would have been so discomfited. If it had bounced as he'd expected he'd have played it easily.
No, he wouldn't, because it was an excellent bouncer that followed him down the slope. It was unplayable, simple as that. He got caught between wanting to hook and wanting to duck, tried to get out of the way and the ball followed him and got him out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Craig White, dontcha know? I hear he was better than McGrath.
No, you didn't, you just manufactured a crazy, utterly illogical way to make it look like I'd said that, and I've never, once, said anything of the sort.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
No, he wouldn't, because it was an excellent bouncer that followed him down the slope. It was unplayable, simple as that. He got caught between wanting to hook and wanting to duck, tried to get out of the way and the ball followed him and got him out.
Or rather it bounced more than expected (and came down the slope a little - which wouldn't have been a problem but for the extra bounce) and he changed his mind.
Maybe he'd have done better to stick with his original choice of stroke.