• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Greatest Cricket Legend

Who is the world's greatest cricket legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno if anyone has been watching The World's Greatest Sporting Legend on Sky One these past few weeks, but they finally got around to doing cricket this week.

An esteemed panel of Henry Blofeld, Nas Hussain, Sir Geoffrey & Merv Hughes came up with the above ten nominations. They were quite definite that it isn't a list of the ten greatest cricketers, but the ten greatest legends. A lot of the usual suspects, with perhaps Gilly being a bit of a surprise. Warne the only out-and-out bowler on the list too, which is perhaps an oversight given the plethora of great quicks they had to chose from.

Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to see if CW agrees with the great British public when it comes to cricketing legends. So, your votes, reasons & long winded diatribes as to how disgusted you are your fav didn't make the list please! :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I dunno if anyone has been watching The World's Greatest Sporting Legend on Sky One these past few weeks, but they finally got around to doing cricket this week.

An esteemed panel of Henry Blofeld, Nas Hussain, Sir Geoffrey & Merv Hughes came up with the above ten nominations. They were quite definite that it isn't a list of the ten greatest cricketers, but the ten greatest legends. A lot of the usual suspects, with perhaps Gilly being a bit of a surprise. Warne the only out-and-out bowler on the list too, which is perhaps an oversight given the plethora of great quicks they had to chose from.

Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to see if CW agrees with the great British public when it comes to cricketing legends. So, your votes, reasons & long winded diatribes as to how disgusted you are your fav didn't make the list please! :p
Got a link to the list? :p

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
bradman by a mile...the only one who is close to him would be sobers......and what is adam gilchrist doing in that list? :laugh:

<edit>
oops...i didn't realize that this is not necessarily the best players' list...that would make it bradman as the overall biggest legend and tendulkar as the current biggest one.....

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Easily Tendulkar.
If you are talking about awareness and reach in the world, Tendulkar eclipses everyone else by a country mile.
My friend,who is originally from a small town in north-eastern Siberia before his immigration had no idea about cricket, had never heard of Bradman/Sobers/Viv/Lara/Warne/McGrath etc. but he had heard of Tendulkar( according to him, this 'Sah-chinn' chap is a great player of this unfathomable and unknown sport called crikeet).
My ex-gf, who is from rural pennsylvania had a similar experience- she didnt anything about cricket before she met me, couldnt name you a single name in cricket but had heard of this 'tendulcar' guy.

I remember talking about it in my psychology paper once and did a research on these lines....Tendulkar has that reach which is uncommon for almost any other superstar-cricket or otherwise.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
For me, the ultimate legend is IVAR
I have to agree. Bradman will probably go down as the greatest cricketer of all time, however Richards was a legend and always will be.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's obviously Bradman. The level of immense hero worship that he recieves in every country where cricket his played simply outstrips that offered to any other player, regardless of national allegience. He is also one of the few players in any sport who is acknowleged without question by every cricket pundit (excluding Tendulkar maniacs on ICF) to be far and away the best of all time.

C_C

International Captain
Not just tendulkar maniacs at ICF...you'd wanna see CC.com as well, where the notion that BCL is the greatest is pandied like confetti.

I dont think this is about who is the greatest- this is about the legend and the awe.
In India, Tendulkar gets the kind of awe Bradman commanded during his heydeys- maybe even more.
I dont think the Aussie stockmarket ever ground to a halt because Braddles was playing awesomely....
And like i said, i've met a few people from distant places where cricket is unknown but they've heard of Tendulkar. I dont think any other cricketer has that kinda reach.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:

yea i have been watching the programme and i'm in agreement with the list chosen. But for me the greatest cricket legend to date is between The Don & Sobers

Slifer

International Captain
I'll tend to agree that the title of greatest cricket legend should *** down 2 its 2 greatest players the Don and of course Sobers

cpr

International Coach
Personally i've gone for Lara.

Yes i've heard how great the don and WG were, infact i'm sick to death of hearing it. Yes, they may well of been the greatest players ever, but all i know is what people have told me, and, well, i'm sick to the back teeth of being told i have to believe how great they were.

Sure Lara is nowhere near their calibre skill wise (though thats not an insult to the guy!), however, he is the single biggest.... well, thing for want of a better word, i've seen with my own two eyes. I've watched him score 375, then i've been around when the 501 was struck, and saw the 400 the other year.... Great player tendulkar nodoubtably is, i've just not seen that much of him play. Whereas in my eyes Lara is synonimous (sp?) with cricketing achievements

I'm sure theres plenty of people older than me who'll think that about Botham, Sobers, Khan, Richards..... but sorry kids, seeing is believing, and thats why Lara has that extra status for me

C_C

International Captain
I think people are confusing the issue.
This isnt about who is the better player or who is more popular amongst cricket aficionados and like.
Its about who has the biggest legend, ie, mystique, awe, reverence and popularity amongst the general populace.
In that aspect, i think Tendulkar is by far ahead of everyone.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
I would have voted Bradman, but I haven't seen in him action, can't just vote on the statistics. From what I've seen, I'd have to vote for Imran Khan. Lara is my second vote, but he hasn't retired yet, so the "legend status" is not quite there yet.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
No C_C, In that aspect no one beats IVAR.
Doubtful... ask people who know nothing about cricket to name a cricketer, odds are they will name Tendulkar. IVAR isn't THAT well known, nor has he been marketed in such a way to be so well known.