• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big Strong Bum

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Prevents injury in fast bowlers?

I don't see Kasprowicz or Bichel getting injured much...from memory Donny Nash had a pretty good injury record aswell.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Kasper have injury problems a while back ? Did he have a weak bum but has been bulking it up to prevent further injury ?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Possibly, although Brett Lee's & Simon Jones's are both on the large-ish side & they've had their injury probs.

Not that I have too much of an interest in blokes' Garys, I hasten to add! :p

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Possibly, although Brett Lee's & Simon Jones's are both on the large-ish side & they've had their injury probs.

Not that I have too much of an interest in blokes' Garys, I hasten to add! :p
Sure sure sure ... actually, who is a bowler who a weak/small bum ?

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
I'd say Gillespie doesn't have the strongest of bums. Very small and weak IMO. Interesting term for backside too, gary. I've only ever heard of that to describe an icredibly lame person.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey, I know someone called Gary and coincedentally he is very lame

Flintoff has a big bum and he's had his share of back trouble if I am not mistaken ... if it is too big the body may not be able to handle it

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Clarence said:
I'd say Gillespie doesn't have the strongest of bums. Very small and weak IMO. Interesting term for backside too, gary. I've only ever heard of that to describe an icredibly lame person.
Rhyming slang round my way: Gary Glitter = sh*tter. :D

C_C

International Captain
Actually, if you ask the fast bowlers ( and i've asked some of the best of them), the posterior is important for generating pace.
Essentially, if you get bulk of your pace from the shoulders, you are looking at a very short career indeed ( Mohammed Zahid).
A strong posterior is necessary for generating pace.
However, inorder to prevent injuries, you have to have a good technique( ie, you aint wrenching any particular joint like Jeff Thompson/have poor delivery posture like Wasim Akram) and a very strong and flexible midsection.
The midsection is of utmost importance to pace bowlers, as the bulk of the injury comes from the midsection.
Infact,a lot of the time pacers who suffer shoulder injuries because they arnt using their midsection properly/their midsection is weak or are protecting them.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
The quads/hammis/bum are the most important if you want to improve pace. Also obviously the core area needs to be fairly strong in injury prevention but having a big bum gives you solid base and with a solid base the pyramid won't topple over.

PY

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Rhyming slang round my way: Gary Glitter = sh*tter. :D
Rhyming slang? You're in Cambridgeshire my good man, it just won't do old chap. :p