• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IndianOil Cup in Sri Lanka

Legglancer

State Regular
SrI Lanka was streets ahead of India in most important componants Like Fielding, Batting in addition to superior spin bowling. Experienced campaigners Like Kumble should know to use the conditions better. Even Harbajan bowled to the wrong lines and too fast. Even Dilshan bowled better ..... never mind Murali and Chandana.

Dhoni's wicket keeping is actually at around club level at best ..... I have watched him in ODI's against Pakistan, WI, and SL and never was quite inpressed by him. He has actually got worse I think. By the time he walks in to bat he has to score 15-20 runs just to make-up for the runs he leaked.

The Biggest dissapointment of the Final for me was Anil Kumble, I expected him and wanted him to prove a point to the selectors for keeping him out of the ODI's, He had everything to play for, But bowled like a novice. Sanath Just Toy'd with him with such ease that I couldn't help feeling sorry for him. Realistically Omari Banks would have bowled better than Kumble, Going by how much problems he caused the Lankan batsman.

Last edited:

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
First of all you got a double post thing going on buddy if you didn't know.

ramkumar_gr said:
Till the time Kaif plays in one-dayers for India, India will always be the losers. .
What ???? its come down to kaif being a reason for IND lossing

ramkumar_gr said:
On the fielding front, i would say he is a good fielder but not a great one when compared to Chris Harris, Gibbs, or Chandana..
WOW this is a first...Harris great hmm I need time to get that one to sink..

ramkumar_gr said:
Take my word, until Kaif is part of the Indian team, dont hope India will win one-dayers against any major teams. Remote chances would be when Sehwag or Dravid pulls off a one-handed victory...
Most IND victories are one handed, its just a diff player everytime, used to be sachin now shewag and dravid chip in more.

ramkumar_gr said:
Get rid of pretenders like Kaif and Dhoni, and we will see India will be back to its winning ways.
The fact that almost every player under plays their talent in the whole series for the most time apart from one good game has nothing to do with it I guess.

BTW isn't it funny and ironic how srinath talk about raising players level and all that crap in his column. I am sure he's drawing it all from his great experiences :dry:

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Woody_cloudofsm said:
man i am not 281 at kolkotta 167 and 148 at sydney laxman has played the greatest innings against the geratest opposition of this ear that 281 was amazing, most graceful and elgeant batsman to watch
Better than Lara, Tendulkar & Dravid i dont think so :sleep:

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Man the magnitude of teh innings vvs has played at his beats far outweigh anytime tendulkar has played an innings for his country.Although he is a wonderful player he has yet to play an innings of the magnitude of lara or laxman or dravid. I must say that dravid lara kallis langer are all guyz i would have batting for my life.

Legglancer

State Regular
Woody_cloudofsm said:
Man the magnitude of teh innings vvs has played at his beats far outweigh anytime tendulkar has played an innings for his country.Although he is a wonderful player he has yet to play an innings of the magnitude of lara or laxman or dravid. I must say that dravid lara kallis langer are all guyz i would have batting for my life.
OK I admit Laxman was once a fantastic player ..... but that's all in the past now. He looked absolutely crap in the Indian oil cup that just ended in Lanka. His feet were stuck in one place and he Found it hard to time the ball from novice bowlers like Jayaprkash???? who was a 19 year old playing his maiden ODI.

When he was facing Fernando, Laxman just could not handle his pace and was late and playing the wrong line. He was out caught behind off a clear edge and did not walk. He looked such a sorry figure and let himself down badly.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Man dont i know i have been a fan of him his whole career and azzhar before him he has been getting caught on teh crease too often. But all he needs is one big innings and hes back trust me.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Legglancer said:
OK I admit Laxman was once a fantastic player ..... but that's all in the past now. He looked absolutely crap in the Indian oil cup that just ended in Lanka. His feet were stuck in one place and he Found it hard to time the ball from novice bowlers like Jayaprkash???? who was a 19 year old playing his maiden ODI.

When he was facing Fernando, Laxman just could not handle his pace and was late and playing the wrong line. He was out caught behind off a clear edge and did not walk. He looked such a sorry figure and let himself down badly.
Laxman was never an ODI player. If you want to watch Laxman, watch him play in tests, you will regret that you ever made that statement. ODIs are a different ball game and Lax doesn't have it in him.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
First of all you got a double post thing going on buddy if you didn't know.

sorry about that.

What ???? its come down to kaif being a reason for IND lossing

Yes of course, compared to the number of matches he had played, his contribution to Indian victories are only 5, which is a very bad figure when u compare with even a player like Yuvraj Singh.

Why not. Harris is a great fielder. What are your thoughts on this?

Most IND victories are one handed, its just a diff player everytime, used to be sachin now shewag and dravid chip in more.
I agree, But the fact is Kaif does not compare with any of them.

The fact that almost every player under plays their talent in the whole series for the most time apart from one good game has nothing to do with it I guess.

BTW isn't it funny and ironic how srinath talk about raising players level and all that crap in his column. I am sure he's drawing it all from his great experiences :dry:[/QUOTE]

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Legglancer said:

Laxman is simply one of the standout players in test cricket. Even dogs can score runs/take wickets in ODIs. dont take away the greatness from Laxman as a Test player.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
ramkumar_gr said:
Why not. Harris is a great fielder. What are your thoughts on this?]
Sorry buddy still waiting for it to sink in.

ramkumar_gr said:
I agree, But the fact is Kaif does not compare with any of them.
The fact is Kaif is what most IND fans don't want their cricketers to be, A TRUE TEAM player. He does things that has plauged IND players since they started playing cricket. In one days singles are the most important thing as there are some 30 overs which require batsmen not to slog, he takes more singles than any other IND batsmen. He stops batsmen from taking doubles and forces singles on them by charging the ball, most IND players let the ball come to them. A lot of these little things he does if everyone did that we would not have many issues. People say Dravid is a champ now, and its hard to argue, but how easy ppl forget the god awful early years he had and was on brink of removal from team. If anything Kaif is progressing much faster.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
maxpower said:

The fact is Kaif is what most IND fans don't want their cricketers to be, A TRUE TEAM player. He does things that has plauged IND players since they started playing cricket. In one days singles are the most important thing as there are some 30 overs which require batsmen not to slog, he takes more singles than any other IND batsmen. He stops batsmen from taking doubles and forces singles on them by charging the ball, most IND players let the ball come to them. A lot of these little things he does if everyone did that we would not have many issues. People say Dravid is a champ now, and its hard to argue, but how easy ppl forget the god awful early years he had and was on brink of removal from team. If anything Kaif is progressing much faster.
i defy you to say that dravid and tendulkar are not team players.....dravid was horrible in one day cricket to start with because he was a batsman in such a classical mould that he probably visualized himself as a stayer even in one dayers, but he did learn to place the ball well, rotate his strike and has emerged as one of the most dependable one day players in the world....don't even begin to compare kaif with him at this stage, forget saying he is better.....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
maxpower said:
People say Dravid is a champ now, and its hard to argue, but how easy ppl forget the god awful early years he had and was on brink of removal from team. If anything Kaif is progressing much faster.
Dravid was infact dropped from the ODI team for some time and after his return he really worked very hard to keep his place in the team. He donned WK gloves for the sake of this team. As much as I like Kaif, I dont think he has done justice to his batting and he really needs to work harder and be more consistent.

That said, I wouldn't replace Kaif with anyone. His fielding is enough to keep him in the team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the best option is that he bats at 3. He can take his time, and hopefully with more exposure, he will start to mature at that position.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Anil said:
i defy you to say that dravid and tendulkar are not team players.....dravid was horrible in one day cricket to start with because he was a batsman in such a classical mould that he probably visualized himself as a stayer even in one dayers, but he did learn to place the ball well, rotate his strike and has emerged as one of the most dependable one day players in the world....don't even begin to compare kaif with him at this stage, forget saying he is better.....
I did'nt say Kaif is better than Dravid at this stage, you misunderstood me, I said his progression is better than Dravid in terms on one day game, Dravid was gonna end up another manjerakar but he worked hard and improved. Lets not forget Kaif for the most part of his carrer has come at # 6 or 7. I don't think dravid and sachin are selfish, but when I say team player I mean in terms of doing what a one day team is suppose to do, that is to field well, focus on singles these are basics of one day I think which are neglected in IND side, Dravid and Sachin do these things well, but Kaif is right up there. Also I feel lately Sachin's soul is bit missing from the game.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
3 hundreds in teh vb seris laxman scored wonderful seris he has averageing in the low 30's is just as good as yuvraj or kaif at a similar strike rate never given a consistent run ever in oneday cricket like yuvraj and kaif who cointinuously fail and get given more chances i think laxman has been jipped brilliant slip feilder aswell.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
maxpower said:

Harris as a great fielder. ---> You take your own time to sink it in. Not a problem.

Still not convinced at your arguments about Kaif. What do you mean by a TRUE TEAM player. I am not saying that he has go for big hits. He is incapable of rotating the strike. Please read what i had written or go to Cricinfo.com to follow the pattern of his innings and how difficult he makes it for the batsmen at the other end. If he scores 10 from 25 balls, he obviously has to compensate it by means of big hits, which he cannot do. To put simple, he is not a player who should be sent in at any position except no.11 , when India chases a 250 + score or the required rate is something like 50 from 40 balls and he will definitely make sure India is defeated. I dont know how come you compare him with Dravid. he is someone who has been given the longest run despite repeated failures and scores in inconsequential matches.

Selection of Kaif to the test team is the biggest joke. I can name 50 better players from Indian FC cricket. His FC average is a pathetic 36+ and his record in the recent domestic season is near to pathetic but the likes of Dinesh Mongia can challenge him on that front.