Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who is the best Australian all rounder in one-dayers ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shane Watson

2 7.41%
  • Brad Hogg

6 22.22%
  • James Hopes

2 7.41%
  • Other (specify in thread)

17 62.96%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the best Aussie all-rounder in ODs ???

Who is the best Aussie all-rounder in ODs ???

With the Natwest Series/Challenge over, I am not overly impressed with Shane Watson or Brad Hogg. Watson's batting and bowling has been sub-par ever since his ODI debut three years ago and can't work out why the selectors keep persisting. Hogg's bowling of late has been ok but I don't think his batting is good enough to fill the 'all rounder' classification. the next choice, James Hopes, does not give me much hope

What do you guys think ?

from the current lot i'd say Symonds. who else is there?
    Code:
    CW CRICKET - May 2009
    FC
    M      I     NO    Runs      Avg      Ct      50s      100s      HS
    83    157   8      4237    28.44      79      22         4       169*

O     W    Avg   SR
    45    18   18.7  27

List - A
    M      I      Runs      Avg      Ct    50s    100s      HS
    179   174    5828      37.84     67    48     3        121

OD
    M      I      Runs      Avg    Ct      50s      100s      HS    SR
    27    24     716      35.80    15      6         0       71*   74.58

Quote Originally Posted by dinu23
    from the current lot i'd say Symonds. who else is there?
    Didn't think of Symonds ... lol

Hogg
    Last edited by shaka; 16-07-2005 at 03:24 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Much as I'd like to go for the GLA, it's Symonds for me.

Half-decent bowler, excellent batter, brilliant fielder, top boozer.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    With the Natwest Series/Challenge over, I am not overly impressed with Shane Watson or Brad Hogg. Watson's batting and bowling has been sub-par ever since his ODI debut three years ago and can't work out why the selectors keep persisting. Hogg's bowling of late has been ok but I don't think his batting is good enough to fill the 'all rounder' classification. the next choice, James Hopes, does not give me much hope

What do you guys think ?
    ooooooooo the Shane watson defending saga continues .Well mate the reason why the selectors have still persisted with Watson is because they see the huge potential in the lad. Hopes may not give you hope, but he does for me... he has progressed nicely in the last year in his overall game at Queensland especially his batting. I remember him bowling on debut againts the Kiwis in Febraury and he looked pretty good, without doubt he is a player that could become a major member of the australian side in ODI's in the future.

But Andrew Symonds on performaces since the world cup is australia's best ODI all-rounder.

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Yeh symonds for me as well. Best current australian allrounder by an apsolute mile.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Well obviously right now it's Symonds. In terms of the future, I think both Hopes and Watson are long-term prospects. Hopes as a big hitting lower order batsman who can send down tight overs, and Shane Watson as a Jacques Kallis type all-rounder in ODIs.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

I have never seen Hopes, so can't comment on him but of the others it's Birmingham's Andrew Symonds for my money. He's a very effective OD batter & his bowling seems to have improved too. It's also pretty good value to have anyone who can bowl seam & off-spin in a half-decent fashion.

I think Watson is batting too low in the order. He scored a superb ton yesterday for Hants coming in at 4. To my eye his batting is quite correct in style, so benefits from the extra time to be able to construct an innings. Coming in lower for Oz means he's often in the position where he has to tee off from the outset, which he's less able to do than other Oz players (Symonds & Hussey for instance).
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Gavin Robertson.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    I must say, I've seen signs in Watson's bowling that he is improving in leaps and bounds. He's always, despite his pace (which is quite good, averaging around the 136-140km/h mark) been 'skiddy' with no 'leap' like the significantly slower McGrath. He doesn't seem to swing the ball much at all and due to the lack of 'leap', he doesn't thud into the gloves. Even McGrath thuds into the gloves at 125km/h,

That said, the match in which he took 3-fer against England, he showed significant movement of the seam. Like REALLY making the ball climb off a length on occasions. I was very surprised because I thought the coaches were trying to get him to swing the ball to make up for the 'lack of leap'.

I sure hope that bowling performance was noted because if he continues bowling like that, he'll be a very dangerous customer.

With the bat, a higher position in the order would definitely benefit a player of his style. Once Marto gives it away, I reckon he'll take that spot. Possibly Symonds.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Symonds atm but i think that Hoggy is a good bowler, his batting isn't great but hes a great number 8.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Interesting with the supersub rule used in the Challenge that Hogg and Watson were not used in the last two matches as Haddin and Katich were subbed in depsite not actually batting. Symonds is in the best bowling form of his life, which gives the selectors confidence about the fifth bowler and not having to use an all-rounder in the top 7

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    I must say, I've seen signs in Watson's bowling that he is improving in leaps and bounds. He's always, despite his pace (which is quite good, averaging around the 136-140km/h mark) been 'skiddy' with no 'leap' like the significantly slower McGrath. He doesn't seem to swing the ball much at all and due to the lack of 'leap', he doesn't thud into the gloves. Even McGrath thuds into the gloves at 125km/h,

That said, the match in which he took 3-fer against England, he showed significant movement of the seam. Like REALLY making the ball climb off a length on occasions. I was very surprised because I thought the coaches were trying to get him to swing the ball to make up for the 'lack of leap'.

I sure hope that bowling performance was noted because if he continues bowling like that, he'll be a very dangerous customer.

With the bat, a higher position in the order would definitely benefit a player of his style. Once Marto gives it away, I reckon he'll take that spot. Possibly Symonds.

Watson didnt take a 3 fer against england. It was , once again, against the lowly bangladesh.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2...30JUN2005.html

Andrew Symonds, in a canter on present form. If you were to pick the Test team on recent form the 'Pup' would struggle to hold out Symonds, and to think he had the choice to play for England.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information