• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best Aussie all-rounder in ODs ???

Who is the best Australian all rounder in one-dayers ?

• Shane Watson

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Brad Hogg

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • James Hopes

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
With the Natwest Series/Challenge over, I am not overly impressed with Shane Watson or Brad Hogg. Watson's batting and bowling has been sub-par ever since his ODI debut three years ago and can't work out why the selectors keep persisting. Hogg's bowling of late has been ok but I don't think his batting is good enough to fill the 'all rounder' classification. the next choice, James Hopes, does not give me much hope

What do you guys think ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Much as I'd like to go for the GLA, it's Symonds for me.

Half-decent bowler, excellent batter, brilliant fielder, top boozer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
With the Natwest Series/Challenge over, I am not overly impressed with Shane Watson or Brad Hogg. Watson's batting and bowling has been sub-par ever since his ODI debut three years ago and can't work out why the selectors keep persisting. Hogg's bowling of late has been ok but I don't think his batting is good enough to fill the 'all rounder' classification. the next choice, James Hopes, does not give me much hope

What do you guys think ?
ooooooooo the Shane watson defending saga continues :sleep: :dry: .Well mate the reason why the selectors have still persisted with Watson is because they see the huge potential in the lad. Hopes may not give you hope, but he does for me... he has progressed nicely in the last year in his overall game at Queensland especially his batting. I remember him bowling on debut againts the Kiwis in Febraury and he looked pretty good, without doubt he is a player that could become a major member of the australian side in ODI's in the future.

But Andrew Symonds on performaces since the world cup is australia's best ODI all-rounder.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well obviously right now it's Symonds. In terms of the future, I think both Hopes and Watson are long-term prospects. Hopes as a big hitting lower order batsman who can send down tight overs, and Shane Watson as a Jacques Kallis type all-rounder in ODIs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have never seen Hopes, so can't comment on him but of the others it's Birmingham's Andrew Symonds for my money. He's a very effective OD batter & his bowling seems to have improved too. It's also pretty good value to have anyone who can bowl seam & off-spin in a half-decent fashion.

I think Watson is batting too low in the order. He scored a superb ton yesterday for Hants coming in at 4. To my eye his batting is quite correct in style, so benefits from the extra time to be able to construct an innings. Coming in lower for Oz means he's often in the position where he has to tee off from the outset, which he's less able to do than other Oz players (Symonds & Hussey for instance).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I must say, I've seen signs in Watson's bowling that he is improving in leaps and bounds. He's always, despite his pace (which is quite good, averaging around the 136-140km/h mark) been 'skiddy' with no 'leap' like the significantly slower McGrath. He doesn't seem to swing the ball much at all and due to the lack of 'leap', he doesn't thud into the gloves. Even McGrath thuds into the gloves at 125km/h,

That said, the match in which he took 3-fer against England, he showed significant movement of the seam. Like REALLY making the ball climb off a length on occasions. I was very surprised because I thought the coaches were trying to get him to swing the ball to make up for the 'lack of leap'.

I sure hope that bowling performance was noted because if he continues bowling like that, he'll be a very dangerous customer.

With the bat, a higher position in the order would definitely benefit a player of his style. Once Marto gives it away, I reckon he'll take that spot. Possibly Symonds.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Symonds atm but i think that Hoggy is a good bowler, his batting isn't great but hes a great number 8.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting with the supersub rule used in the Challenge that Hogg and Watson were not used in the last two matches as Haddin and Katich were subbed in depsite not actually batting. Symonds is in the best bowling form of his life, which gives the selectors confidence about the fifth bowler and not having to use an all-rounder in the top 7

King_Ponting

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
I must say, I've seen signs in Watson's bowling that he is improving in leaps and bounds. He's always, despite his pace (which is quite good, averaging around the 136-140km/h mark) been 'skiddy' with no 'leap' like the significantly slower McGrath. He doesn't seem to swing the ball much at all and due to the lack of 'leap', he doesn't thud into the gloves. Even McGrath thuds into the gloves at 125km/h,

That said, the match in which he took 3-fer against England, he showed significant movement of the seam. Like REALLY making the ball climb off a length on occasions. I was very surprised because I thought the coaches were trying to get him to swing the ball to make up for the 'lack of leap'.

I sure hope that bowling performance was noted because if he continues bowling like that, he'll be a very dangerous customer.

With the bat, a higher position in the order would definitely benefit a player of his style. Once Marto gives it away, I reckon he'll take that spot. Possibly Symonds.

Watson didnt take a 3 fer against england. It was , once again, against the lowly bangladesh.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/OD_TOURNEYS/NWS/SCORECARDS/AUS_BDESH_NWS_ODI9_30JUN2005.html

archie mac

International Coach
Andrew Symonds, in a canter on present form. If you were to pick the Test team on recent form the 'Pup' would struggle to hold out Symonds, and to think he had the choice to play for England.

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
I get the feeling Symonds test career is over ( never should have had one IMO )
I think you may be right, but in a few years we will lose a lot of talent to old age. So he may just find a spot. At the time he was picked he was in good form, though admittedly ODI form.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Ah, so he did. Still, he bowled well that day and would probably have taken wickets against most other teams.
Yeah. That's why I said in another thread he will probably go okay for Hampshire. He's really the sort of bowler, without significant bounce, little to no swing, and decent but not spectacular pace, who relies on some help from the wicket. When he gets it to go off the seam, he's really quite dangerous, and it's not that shocking that he's taken a 10-fer in FC cricket after watching him play Bangladesh in that final game. As you say, he bowled enough wicket balls in that spell to take some against anyone.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
I get the feeling Symonds test career is over ( never should have had one IMO )
Rubbish! If he's good enough for Lancashire, he's good enough to walk into that Aussie team