• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best Aussie all-rounder in ODs ???

Who is the best Australian all rounder in one-dayers ?

• Shane Watson

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Brad Hogg

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • James Hopes

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
At present i'd have to agree with him mate. Hasnt put up the figures thus far.
true, but it would be wrong to say he has no value to the team...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Watson wasn't used in the last two games as he was (is) unable to bowl - side strain.

The answer's Symonds, btw.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, without him they'd only have 10 men and they'd have to do alot more running about in the field

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
of course symonds is the best all-rounder we have !! it seems england conditions suit him very well, it's a real shame he isn't in the ashes squad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Crazy Sam said:
of course symonds is the best all-rounder we have !! it seems england conditions suit him very well, it's a real shame he isn't in the ashes squad.
Kinda ironic, what with him being English & all! ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So what value is he to the side then?
A batting average of 30 isn't that bad in ODIs. He's a pretty good fielder, and he's put in some good performances with the ball before too. I'd agree he's not much value to the side in his present role of course, and I've said many times he shouldn't be used like that. Doesn't mean he's not a good player though, nor does it mean giving him international experience is worthless.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Crazy Sam said:
I agree.

I'd love to see Australia picking him ahead of one of the top 6.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
A batting average of 30 isn't that bad in ODIs.
Almost half of his innings are not outs though.

Add in a S/R of 68, and I think we can agree he's not suited to that role?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Almost half of his innings are not outs though.

Add in a S/R of 68, and I think we can agree he's not suited to that role?
Of course he's not suited to that role. It's blatantly obvious to everyone who sees him that he needs to be able to play himself in. He'll probably play a good innings there eventually following a batting collapse or something (he's played a couple like that), but it won't happen often.

brockley

International Captain
We should take youngsters on as developing players on tour like moises henriques or john hastings,the cupboard is rarely bare at the moment,if they aren't in the domestic comp then pick them from grade,remember we picked peter taylor from grade.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Symonds is tops atm, but give Watson a few years and a spot higher in the order and you will see.

Flintoff wasn't that crash hot a couple of years ago, and Kallis' start to his career wasn't very special either. They were both given iffinate patience by there selectors and look at the results.

"I swear I am not a Watto Fanboy"

*wink*

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
brockley said:
We should take youngsters on as developing players on tour like moises henriques or john hastings,the cupboard is rarely bare at the moment,if they aren't in the domestic comp then pick them from grade,remember we picked peter taylor from grade.
And Peter Taylor was so successful over a long period of time? 8-)

You couldn't possibly pick someone who hasn't even played state cricket at all. Ridiculous proposition.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
And Peter Taylor was so successful over a long period of time? 8-)

You couldn't possibly pick someone who hasn't even played state cricket at all. Ridiculous proposition.
You sound more and more like Liam every day.