Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casualities of the "Super-Series"

U19 Debutant

Casualities of the "Super-Series"

Here's the casualities of this Super-Series so far...

Bangladesh - India test series
    Bangaldesh-India ODI series
    Sri Lanka - India test series
    Sri Lanka - India ODI series
    South Africa - India ODI series

Notice it's South Asia that is affected. Why couldn't they schedule this silly series during the summer lay off or something... oh yeah, Ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Here's the casualities of this Super-Series so far...

Bangladesh - India test series
    Bangaldesh-India ODI series
    Sri Lanka - India test series
    Sri Lanka - India ODI series
    South Africa - India ODI series

Notice it's South Asia that is affected. Why couldn't they schedule this silly series during the summer lay off or something... oh yeah, Ashes.
    Is that a direct clash? Are there games on at the same time as the Super Series?

And I think its a bit tight to be cynical about not having it during the Ashes, seeing that the whole idea of the series is to play it against Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    And I think its a bit tight to be cynical about not having it during the Ashes, seeing that the whole idea of the series is to play it against Australia.
    Nope . The whole idea of the series is to play it against the world champions. Theres a difference.

The ICC could just have sacrificed 2 series instead of 5 . Its the sensible thing to do. I dont see why one Ashes and one semi farcical SL-WI series couldnt be postponed instead of all those other tours.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    Nope . The whole idea of the series is to play it against the world champions. Theres a difference.

The ICC could just have sacrificed 2 series instead of 5 . Its the sensible thing to do. I dont see why one Ashes and one semi farcical SL-WI series couldnt be postponed instead of all those other tours.
    Although one must remember that Oct is a better time than Aug for cricket in Aus if I'm not mistaken.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar

What makes an India/Bangladesh tour that India don't even want to play and the Indian series against Sri Lanka more important the Ashes and the Sri Lanka/West Indies series?

From an objective viewpoint, it's perfectly understandable why they didn't want to run the Super Series during the "summer layoff". A few reasons being:

The "summer layoff" is in fact the "winter layoff" in Australia, meaning that the weather and the pitches in the main test venues in the host nation wouldn't be of the necessary standard for the series, and the interest in the home nation would have been at its lowest level for the whole year, as it would fall directly opposite to the normal cricket season.

The Ashes is a 5 test series, completed with another 10 ODIs for each side, and involving a third nation in Bangladesh. The logistics of finding another time for such a huge tour (in its entirity, it lasts from June through to September) without pushing it to close to the NEXT Ashes series in the 2006/07 summer in Australia is much more problematic than the other series involved.

The Ashes is the highest profile series in the world, not only because of the history and the length, but also because it's the top two nations in the world as things currently stand playing. Even if it were not for the other problems, this along might well lead the ICC to giving Ashes schedualing priority over other series.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Tim
    NZ have also had to split their tour of South Africa.

5 ODI's in October & the 3 tests will now be played in late April.

I think Faaip has covered most of those points. And I know, I should have said World's Best at the time, but at the moment that's Australia.

In the end, there was always going to be clashes. Hopefully for the next one they can establish a date and location early, and so after that the nations can negotiate tours around it, or vice-versa.

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    All that needs to happen is rescheduling on the sub continental nations behalf. I think because as is mentioned earlier australia is the top ranked team they should have preference on which month and or dates the series should be held.

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!

Isn't the ICC now a south Asian cartel anyway?

The Ashes is still the biggest and best series there is, and it also happens to be the one between the two best sides in the world on current form and rankings.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

It makes sense to play the Superseries in October - weather and scheduling series wise. As an Aussie supporter, I would happily see Aussie matches rescheduled to watch the best team ( be it Aus, Eng, or even NZ ) against the ROTW. It's something that I think a Bang v Ind series can be postponed for

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Well for a start it's hosted by Australia, so they're not going to put it on in June or July are they?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

U19 Debutant
    My point exactly... they made sure it wasn't scheduled during England/Australia cricket, but rescheduled six others series. If this Super Series nonsense was so important, they could have rescheduled the Ashes instead of these six series.

My point exactly... they made sure it wasn't scheduled during England/Australia cricket, but rescheduled six others series. If this Super Series nonsense was so important, they could have rescheduled the Ashes instead of these six series.
    But you can't play cricket in Australia now ... weather, interest, etc

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    It had nothign at all to do with the fact that it's currently the middle of winter in Australia then? Or the fact that the Ashes tour is three months long and therefore impossible to move?

U19 Debutant
    My bad... it's the middle of summer here... forgot it was different in Australia. I wasn't suggesting they should move the Ashes, I said they could have if this Super Series was so important. My opinion is that it's useless and there's no good reason why those tours were cancelled/postponed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information