• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Casualities of the "Super-Series"

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Here's the casualities of this Super-Series so far...

Bangladesh - India test series
Bangaldesh-India ODI series
Sri Lanka - India test series
Sri Lanka - India ODI series
South Africa - India ODI series

Notice it's South Asia that is affected. Why couldn't they schedule this silly series during the summer lay off or something... oh yeah, Ashes. :happy:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Duncan said:
Here's the casualities of this Super-Series so far...

Bangladesh - India test series
Bangaldesh-India ODI series
Sri Lanka - India test series
Sri Lanka - India ODI series
South Africa - India ODI series

Notice it's South Asia that is affected. Why couldn't they schedule this silly series during the summer lay off or something... oh yeah, Ashes. :happy:
Is that a direct clash? :huh: Are there games on at the same time as the Super Series?

And I think its a bit tight to be cynical about not having it during the Ashes, seeing that the whole idea of the series is to play it against Australia. 8-)

Deja moo

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
And I think its a bit tight to be cynical about not having it during the Ashes, seeing that the whole idea of the series is to play it against Australia. 8-)
Nope . The whole idea of the series is to play it against the world champions. Theres a difference.

The ICC could just have sacrificed 2 series instead of 5 . Its the sensible thing to do. I dont see why one Ashes and one semi farcical SL-WI series couldnt be postponed instead of all those other tours.

Deja moo

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Nope . The whole idea of the series is to play it against the world champions. Theres a difference.

The ICC could just have sacrificed 2 series instead of 5 . Its the sensible thing to do. I dont see why one Ashes and one semi farcical SL-WI series couldnt be postponed instead of all those other tours.
Although one must remember that Oct is a better time than Aug for cricket in Aus if I'm not mistaken.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:

What makes an India/Bangladesh tour that India don't even want to play and the Indian series against Sri Lanka more important the Ashes and the Sri Lanka/West Indies series?

From an objective viewpoint, it's perfectly understandable why they didn't want to run the Super Series during the "summer layoff". A few reasons being:

The "summer layoff" is in fact the "winter layoff" in Australia, meaning that the weather and the pitches in the main test venues in the host nation wouldn't be of the necessary standard for the series, and the interest in the home nation would have been at its lowest level for the whole year, as it would fall directly opposite to the normal cricket season.

The Ashes is a 5 test series, completed with another 10 ODIs for each side, and involving a third nation in Bangladesh. The logistics of finding another time for such a huge tour (in its entirity, it lasts from June through to September) without pushing it to close to the NEXT Ashes series in the 2006/07 summer in Australia is much more problematic than the other series involved.

The Ashes is the highest profile series in the world, not only because of the history and the length, but also because it's the top two nations in the world as things currently stand playing. Even if it were not for the other problems, this along might well lead the ICC to giving Ashes schedualing priority over other series.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ have also had to split their tour of South Africa.

5 ODI's in October & the 3 tests will now be played in late April.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Deja moo said:

I think Faaip has covered most of those points. And I know, I should have said World's Best at the time, but at the moment that's Australia.

In the end, there was always going to be clashes. Hopefully for the next one they can establish a date and location early, and so after that the nations can negotiate tours around it, or vice-versa.

King_Ponting

International Regular
All that needs to happen is rescheduling on the sub continental nations behalf. I think because as is mentioned earlier australia is the top ranked team they should have preference on which month and or dates the series should be held.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:

Isn't the ICC now a south Asian cartel anyway?

The Ashes is still the biggest and best series there is, and it also happens to be the one between the two best sides in the world on current form and rankings.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
It makes sense to play the Superseries in October - weather and scheduling series wise. As an Aussie supporter, I would happily see Aussie matches rescheduled to watch the best team ( be it Aus, Eng, or even NZ ) against the ROTW. It's something that I think a Bang v Ind series can be postponed for

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Duncan said:
Well for a start it's hosted by Australia, so they're not going to put it on in June or July are they? 8-)

Duncan

U19 Debutant
My point exactly... they made sure it wasn't scheduled during England/Australia cricket, but rescheduled six others series. If this Super Series nonsense was so important, they could have rescheduled the Ashes instead of these six series.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Duncan said:
My point exactly... they made sure it wasn't scheduled during England/Australia cricket, but rescheduled six others series. If this Super Series nonsense was so important, they could have rescheduled the Ashes instead of these six series.
But you can't play cricket in Australia now ... weather, interest, etc

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Duncan said:
It had nothign at all to do with the fact that it's currently the middle of winter in Australia then? Or the fact that the Ashes tour is three months long and therefore impossible to move?

Duncan

U19 Debutant
My bad... it's the middle of summer here... forgot it was different in Australia. I wasn't suggesting they should move the Ashes, I said they could have if this Super Series was so important. My opinion is that it's useless and there's no good reason why those tours were cancelled/postponed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Duncan said:
Yes, why didn't they think of that.

Play the Ashes in October and November in England and this Super Series in July in Australia.

Makes perfect sense there (!)

Duncan

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
Yes, why didn't they think of that.

Play the Ashes in October and November in England and this Super Series in July in Australia.

Makes perfect sense there (!)
Look... read the rest of the topic before you reply.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What is your point?

This super series has been known about for more than a year - to suggest some other series are "casualties" of it is ludicrous.

For a start the first two "casualties" should have taken place in April or so.

Your suggestion of moving the Ashes just doesn't work because of where it's meant to be played (ie in England) and where the Super Series was awarded (ie Australia)

C_C

International Captain
How is IND-SL test series affected, considering that IND-SL test series is scheduled to take place in December ?

According to Crickinfo, IND-SL series hasnt been consigned to the dustbin, instead BCCI has propsed a different structure- instead of SL comming to IND for 3 tests and 7 ODIs in Nov-Dec, the proposal is this:

Early Nov: IND vs SL ODI series
Mid Nov : IND vs RSA ODI series
December : IND vs SL test series.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone actually agree with Duncan or is he the lone sailor on his sinking ship ?